Options

Computer info needed

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited October 15, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
If this isn't the best place, please move.

OK I need a new laptop. I want a Macbook Pro, but at $2000.00 to $2600.00 it ain't gona happen right now.

I need this to take on an extended photo trip. I will use this for internet, e-mail, and other general use. Perhaps as a portfolio as well.

The real need is to download my images from the memory cards, and then copy them to a Lacie 500 GB rugged external hard drive. This will provide me with two copies while traveling.

I will also use it to view / cull / evaluate / process (limited) images with LR3.

My current laptop is woefully inadequate. The last time I used it to download and then copy images to the external hard drive it took an incredible length of time. Incredible being kind and way not acceptable.

I would like a 16" or 17" screen (anti-glare if possible).

500GB hard drive (7200 rpm if possible) I think the faster HD should speed up things?

I think 4GB of RAM should work.

Now where I am really confused is with the CPU choice.

I can not find a way to see / understand which CPU would do what I need.

Between the Intel mobile CPU processors: i3 / i5 / i7, and the various AMD mobile processors which will meet my requirements?

Yes I know (I think I know) the i7 is the best currently available, but would I see a difference say between the i3 and the i5, or one of the AMD choices?

Sam

Comments

• Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    Moved to 'digital darkroom gear' thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2010
    DUH!!!

Makes sense to me. 15524779-Ti.gif

Sam
  • Options
    bandgeekndbbandgeekndb Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2010
    First: Get as much RAM as you can. Or at least make sure you have the ability to upgrade later. If you want the laptop to stay with you for a while, you'll need the RAM later on when Lightroom 6 comes out and needs 4GB just to run! rolleyes1.gif

I made the mistake of not researching this when I got my laptop a few years ago, and it only supports up to 2GB of RAM...that hurts when I'm trying to run LR3 AND something else!

Second: the CPU.

I was doing the research on the Core i-X variations, and it's interesting to see how little the differences really are.

Wikipedia for the Core i-X Mobile Processors (Arrandale Architecture)

Honestly, it's a difference of CPU speed and TDP (Thermal Design Power). The CPU speed will help a little bit, but you're probably not gonna see a huge difference between a 2.4 and 2.6 Ghz processor. Those couple hundred megahertz will barely make a difference. The TDP will determine how much power the processor uses, which affects battery life and how hot everything runs. But, the ultra-mobile versions with the lower TDP will run slower, sometimes as much as 800 Mhz...that you will notice, at least a little bit.

Not knowing exactly what systems you're looking at, I'd look for either a Core-i3 / i5 / i7, depending on price differences. That's the best bang for your buck in mobile CPUs. The AMDs just aren't on the same level, IMHO. If you're getting a bigger screen, you're heading into deskop replacement territory already, so you'll have the option of the Core-i7 with the bigger L3 cache. It's really a matter of price difference, you should get the best you can afford without sacrificing other things in the system. Don't buy a better CPU, but skimp on the RAM. Get the discrete graphics card, not integrated, so you can use GPU acceleration if you run PS CS5. Even without CS5, the discrete GPU will help offload work from your CPU and free up the CPU for other things.

Hope that helps you. I'm gonna pull up a config I did of a nice Dell system for you, and you can translate that to whatever brand you prefer.

~Nick
    Nikon D7000, D90

Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8
    Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2010
    Built this on dell.com for $1800 before tax/shipping/etc. Use techbargains.com for coupons, they almost always have good Dell/HP coupons.

Some people have their issues with Dell, but I've bought 6 systems over the course of 4 years from them and they've all been great systems. Don't count on getting an English speaking tech support person, but that's almost all companies nowadays. Dell's online chat system removes the language barrier, and they are very friendly and helpful when you don't have to fight to understand their accents!

Let me know if you have any more questions. You have a lot more flexibility of custom-building when it's a desktop (I believe you did a custom build not to long ago, right? My memory is failing me now, you're either a custom build or a Mac Pro user :D, I remember you from one of those threads), but for laptops, Dell and HP do a decent job for the money.

~Nick

Studio XPS 16:
    Studio XPS 16 Notebook

Network Card:
    Integrated 10/100 Network Card

System Color:
    Obsidian Black High Gloss Finish BKG 1 [320-8351] 10

Processor:
    NEW 2010 Intel® Core™ i7-740QM Quad Core Processor, 1.73GHz (2.93GHz Turbo Mode, 6M Cache)

Operating System:
    Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English

Memory:
    8GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz

Hard Drive:
    500GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive

Video Card:
    ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5730 - 1GB

CD ROM/DVD ROM:
    8X CD/DVD Burner + Roxio Creator 10 Premier - Ultimate Burn/Authoring

Wireless:
    Intel® 5300 WLAN Wireless-N (3x3) Mini Card

Battery:
    85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

Sound:
    High Definition Audio 2.0 with SRS Premium Sound

LCD Panel:
    HD+ Widescreen 15.6 inch WLED LCD (1600x900) W/2.0 MP, XPS 1647

Bluetooth:
    Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth Module (2.1+EDR)

Service:
    2 Year Basic Service Plan

Bundle:
    Microsoft® Office Starter 2010

Antivirus Software:
    McAfee SecurityCenter, 15-Months

Service 1:
    Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year
    Nikon D7000, D90

• Options
    NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2010
    Unfortunately it looks like Toms has not updated their mobile CPU charts:

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/

Maybe something here at Anand can help:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/25

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2010

OK I need a new laptop. I want a Macbook Pro, but at $2000.00 to $2600.00 it ain't gona happen right now.

I need this to take on an extended photo trip. I will use this for internet, e-mail, and other general use. Perhaps as a portfolio as well.

The real need is to download my images from the memory cards, and then copy them to a Lacie 500 GB rugged external hard drive. This will provide me with two copies while traveling.

I will also use it to view / cull / evaluate / process (limited) images with LR3.

My current laptop is woefully inadequate. The last time I used it to download and then copy images to the external hard drive it took an incredible length of time. Incredible being kind and way not acceptable.

I would like a 16" or 17" screen (anti-glare if possible).

500GB hard drive (7200 rpm if possible) I think the faster HD should speed up things?

I think 4GB of RAM should work.

Between the Intel mobile CPU processors: i3 / i5 / i7, and the various AMD mobile processors which will meet my requirements?

Yes I know (I think I know) the i7 is the best currently available, but would I see a difference say between the i3 and the i5, or one of the AMD choices?

Sam

Sam, you don't mention what you budget is(?) just what it isn't.

two things come to mind.

1. Is transfer speed THE biggest issue you have with your present piece?
    2. If transfer speed is the issue, while shopping you need to be looking at firewire or USB 3.0 or eSata. Presently usb 2.0 is around 450Mbps vs. 3.0 @ 5Gbps. I noticed HP has released a LT with 3.0

I see La Cie makes a 1TB Hdd for usb 3.0

What are the spec's on your present machine?
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2010
    p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } Bankgeek,

Thank you for your detailed response, I'll take a look at Dell today.

angevin1

Good thought on the fire wire. my Lacie 500 GB HD has firewire 800.

As to the specs.................This was bought long before ginormous file sizes. 50GB will hold a lot of Digital Rebel files, not so many 5D II files. :D

It is a Toshiba satellite A105-S2071 Intel Celeron M processor 350 2gig RAM 80 GB hard drive 15" screen. It has some sort of 1/2 X or 1X dvd burner. The slowest burner in the universe.

I have a Mac Pro with all the goodies at home and like OS and other things that come with the Mac, but no way does my budget stretch far enough to get a Macbook Pro, and I cant justify spreading out payments.

My thinking was to see what I can get in the PC world. Keeping the price as low as possible and use the PC notebook for a few years until I become rich and famous. :D then get the Macbook Pro.

I can find a variety of PC notebooks at pretty attractive prices, but one of the things that is throwing me is how much of a real world difference would I see with the different processors. where can I compromise on a particular component to save money and not seriously cripple the thing.

As an example if I would hardly notice the difference between say an i3 processor and a i5 processor in the real world, then here is an area I could save some money. If a 7200 rpm hard drive will not noticeably speed things up, then I don't need to get one. If a 16 or 17" screen is too expensive then I can drop back to a 15" screen.

It's a matter of putting down what I want, then what I need, and figuring out how to juggle the components to accomplish this at an acceptable cost.

I am trying to keep the cost around $850.00.

I am very hesitant to buy a used one...............this will, along with my external drive will contain my precious (OK if not precious, at least my unique) images.

I hope this gives you an idea of my conundrum.

Sam
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2010
    Ah, the magic number = $850!

Well, with only a few concessions (smaller battery, integrated graphics, etc), I got you a Dell Inspiron 17 with a Core-i3 for $677 before taxes/shipping.

Dell 25% off page

Me personally, I'd save a bit more and increase my budget to afford a more powerful system, but considering you have the Mac Pro, at home, this would just be a travel machine and should suit you fine. I mean, the 5400 RPM hard drive will slow things down a bit, but it depends on how attached you are to the $850 price. I got a much leaner version of what I did in my previous post for $950, which is a lot closer than my previous price, but still over $850. And you get the Core-i5, 500GB 7200RPM drive, and a few other nicer amenities than the $677 system from above.

Best of luck, it's always tough to draw that "price" line in the sand!

~Nick
    Nikon D7000, D90

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2010
    <style type="text/css">p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }</style> Bankgeek,

Thank you for your detailed response, I'll take a look at Dell today.

angevin1

Good thought on the fire wire. my Lacie 500 GB HD has firewire 800.

As to the specs.................This was bought long before ginormous file sizes. 50GB will hold a lot of Digital Rebel files, not so many 5D II files. :D

It is a Toshiba satellite A105-S2071 Intel Celeron M processor 350 2gig RAM 80 GB hard drive 15" screen. It has some sort of 1/2 X or 1X dvd burner. The slowest burner in the universe.

I have a Mac Pro with all the goodies at home and like OS and other things that come with the Mac, but no way does my budget stretch far enough to get a Macbook Pro, and I cant justify spreading out payments.

My thinking was to see what I can get in the PC world. Keeping the price as low as possible and use the PC notebook for a few years until I become rich and famous. :D then get the Macbook Pro.

I can find a variety of PC notebooks at pretty attractive prices, but one of the things that is throwing me is how much of a real world difference would I see with the different processors. where can I compromise on a particular component to save money and not seriously cripple the thing.

As an example if I would hardly notice the difference between say an i3 processor and a i5 processor in the real world, then here is an area I could save some money. If a 7200 rpm hard drive will not noticeably speed things up, then I don't need to get one. If a 16 or 17" screen is too expensive then I can drop back to a 15" screen.

It's a matter of putting down what I want, then what I need, and figuring out how to juggle the components to accomplish this at an acceptable cost.

I am trying to keep the cost around $850.00.

I am very hesitant to buy a used one...............this will, along with my external drive will contain my precious (OK if not precious, at least my unique) images.

I hope this gives you an idea of my conundrum.

Sam

Sam,

I think you're right on to think and ask about power vs. savings.

i3/i5? We got a really good deal on a i5 earlier this year. <$700 from a staples or Office Depot or some such. It runs LR2 so very much better than the core-2 duo it replaced! And since it was cheap, not a decent graphics card at all. I think an core i-anything would be heaps better than a core2-duo. 4GB Ram, fine and dandy. I've only seen RAM get used up doing these crazy HD video renders of multi GB videos.

Bottle-Neck. HDD's have an issue. They are the leading bottleneck for the flow of info within our machines. Of course my answer to that has you spending more money and getting an SSD, and that is what I am adding to my gal's LT when she gets back from D.C. We don't use our machines to really store stuff of any import anyway, we off-load info onto other (slow) HDD's for our redundant storage. If you cannot go SSD, see how high you can get-to in an HDD/RPM wise.

You probably recall my old Q6600 PC I did a rework on before building my current workstation. I added all sorts of expensive c.r.a.p. to it, and found the SSD I added made it spin like it never had. and, it still does. So repeating, bottleneck issues are what cause you to waste so much time offloading stuff. USB 3.0, Firewire, and an internal SSD are three things that can really kick-start the flow of info. Of course, the SSD is only gonna help Onboard, not spitting it out via usb 2.0.

Thinking out loud. You could get the Corei3 piece, a big screen , and then add the SSD when and if you feel like you want to make her spin up a bit.
    tom wise
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2010
    Sam I would also recomend ,whatever laptop you get, to get one that has room for a 2nd harddrive.....
    I carried my dell studio 17 to Ky and had a seagate freeagent go external (an external using a laptop hdd),
    it all fit in my laptop bag just fine....when I got home I got another 500gb drive and installed it in my laptop.....
    That is the bees knees.....no cables, no muss, no fuss...and super fast downloads as it is in the laptop.........
    I am not one to carry an external with me If I do not have too......I would much rather have another dozen or 2 CF cards
    than carry another external with me.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2010
    I got a higher-end HP Pavilion ~18 months ago for ~$2500 CDN - it came with a 17" screen, 8G ram, and 2-500G drives. It ran LR2 fine, did all the copying and on-the-fly editing I wanted to do, and having the second 500G drive meant it could hold all 15K 50D pictures I stuffed in with space to spare. Add Norton Ghost to the package, and you can image your system _and_ backup to a USB drive overnight no-problem.

Assuming prices drop 50% / year, I think that same box should go for ~$1K CDN now, and have a better CPU inside.
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc
  • Options
    jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2010
    With Dell, also take a look at the Dell outlet for a refurbished system. I bought one from them about 7 years ago that gave me 5 good years of service (still works now, but is too slow to be useful) for a pretty good discount.

You might also look at the deals from CompUSA / Tiger Direct. I get some of their emails, and they can have some pretty good deals.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2010
    The big thing to me has been mentioned is the idea of transfer speed of the hard drive. I am running two 500GB hard drives instead of 1 TB hard drive when I travel due to the speed. The 500GB does Firewire where as the 1TB only does USB2. Seems small, but when the images get hugenormous the transfer speed of 480Mbits/sec versus 800Mbits/sec can be huge. So you may also want to look for a firewire reader for the cards. Speed is a huge deal for me and I have found that when traveling the transfer speed is more of an issue than the processor speed. For just transferring files from one medium to another, it might be worth looking at an inexpensive netbook. I have used a friend with LR3 and for a $400 Lenovo netbook I was impressed of speed to performance. Just remember the key is that you are going to be doing "basic" processing not huge amount of it.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2010
    I haven't forgotten, and I sincerely appreciate your input. I have run into an emergency, and will get back to this as soon as I can.

Sam
  • Options
    ablichterablichter Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2010

Depends what you are up to. If the Laptop is meant as a storage system only while traveling, i3 with a large internal SATA HDD would be okay. If you need to process the images with PS and to deliver them to an agency at time, a faster processor and a 64bit OS would be better. But laptops screens are not meant for high quality PP, right?

Aside this (if the internal disk is to small for your needs) make sure the laptop has a eSATA interface (or a combined USB/eSATA interface, like some Dell have) and get yourself an external SATA drive.
    Take care here, lots of external drives are sold as USB/SATA, but the connection (BUS) is USB which is "translated" to a (built-in) SATA BUS. Make sure the external HDD/case has a true eSATA interface.
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2010
    Again, thanks for all your help.

My situation has change.....I was desperately rushing to go on an extended trip where I really do need a better laptop, but alas an emergency jumped up and best case need to postpone it until next year. Sigh..............

While I couldn't make my original budget I was able to spec out a Toshiba with an i5 4602.53 GHz, 4 gig RAM expandable to 8 gig. 2 500 gig 7200 rpm hard drives, graphics card with i gig dedicated memory, fire wire 800 port,
    18.4" screen.

Price tag today $1259.00

Gives me time to hit up a few morw 7/11 stores. :D

Sam
  • Options
    timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2010
    That sounds like an updated version of what I have, which has worked quite well for me. The only potential issue is the oversized screen which may be a challenge to find carriers for it.
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc