Options

Canoe and Kayak Recomedations needed

candersoncanderson Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
edited October 27, 2010 in The Big Picture
Thinking about getting a canoe or kyack for nature/wildlife photo adventures. Need some recomendations on what to get or look for. Please keep in mind I am a bigger guy...
Chris Anderson
Canon EOS 20D
http://www.lazycreekphoto.com

Teddy Roosevelt Revised: "Walk softly and carry a big lens."

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited October 11, 2010
    About the only thing I can recommend is a trip to your local REI and have a look around. Keep in mind most outdoor stores will have put their summer stuff away in favor of winter.

The alternative would be to see if there are Canoe/Kayak classes held in your area, take one of those and learn what would work for you.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2010
    Closest REI is +500 miles away. Thought I might get better help here than the flunkies at Dick's.
    Chris Anderson
    Canon EOS 20D

• Options
    edited October 15, 2010
    I suppose your choices are a bit limited then lol3.gif
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 15, 2010
    canderson wrote: »
    Closest REI is +500 miles away. Thought I might get better help here than the flunkies at Dick's.
    Look harder.

Seriously, Dick's is the only place in a greater metro region like Indy to buy a boat??? If you live close enough to paddling, there just has to be a shop that sells boats. Unless I knew exactly what I was looking for, I can't imagine ever buying a boat online. The cost of shipping will more than outweigh what it might cost in premium to buy from a local shop where you can actually sit in the boat.

Craigslist?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,243 moderator
    edited October 16, 2010
    I second DoctorIt's suggestion to see the boat in person before buying it. Even more than seeing it, try to find a place that will allow you to try it out on the water. Kayaks in particular have all manner of tippiness, from tippy to stable. If you're planning to shoot from the boat, make sure it is stable enough for you. Make sure you can stash your gear safely, that you know you have some level of protection if you happen to flip.

--- Denise
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2010
    here is a list of Gander Mountain stores in In. ...... Indiana

Castleton/Indianapolis, IN #272 5702 East 86th Street, Indianapolis, IN, 46250, (317) 577-1114
    Evansville, IN #271 5476 Indiana Street, Evansville, IN, 47715, 812-473-9117
    Ft. Wayne, IN #187 6043 Lima Road, Ft. Wayne, IN, 46818, (260) 416-0943
    Greenwood, IN #273 1049 N. Emerson Ave, Greenwood, IN, 46143, (317) 865-1734
    Merrillville, IN #185 1630 Southlake Mall, Merrillville, IN, 46410, (219) 793-1700
    Terre Haute, IN #270 3602 S. US Highway 41, Terre Haute, IN, 47802, (812)237-0940

There is 1 Cabelas and 2 Bass Pro Shops in IN.....but none in Indianapolis...sorry.....

You might want to look at Sevylor's site for inflatable canoes or the porta-bote site also.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited October 16, 2010
    Thanks! I was looking for some useful info from another photographer. Are there any features you would look for or stay away from?
    Art Scott wrote: »
    here is a list of Gander Mountain stores in In. ...... Indiana

Castleton/Indianapolis, IN #272 5702 East 86th Street, Indianapolis, IN, 46250, (317) 577-1114
    Evansville, IN #271 5476 Indiana Street, Evansville, IN, 47715, 812-473-9117
    Ft. Wayne, IN #187 6043 Lima Road, Ft. Wayne, IN, 46818, (260) 416-0943
    Greenwood, IN #273 1049 N. Emerson Ave, Greenwood, IN, 46143, (317) 865-1734
    Merrillville, IN #185 1630 Southlake Mall, Merrillville, IN, 46410, (219) 793-1700
    Terre Haute, IN #270 3602 S. US Highway 41, Terre Haute, IN, 47802, (812)237-0940

There is 1 Cabelas and 2 Bass Pro Shops in IN.....but none in Indianapolis...sorry.....

You might want to look at Sevylor's site for inflatable canoes or the porta-bote site also.....
    Chris Anderson
    Canon EOS 20D

• Options
    ripbobripbob Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited October 23, 2010
    Thinking about getting a canoe or kyack for nature/wildlife photo adventures. Need some recomendations on what to get or look for. Please keep in mind I am a bigger guy...

Check out the hobie kayaks with their no-hands paddling. You paddle with your feet and still shoot with your hands. There's different models depending on how much you want to spend. GL
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2010
    Thanks! I was looking for some useful info from another photographer. Are there any features you would look for or stay away from?

I cannot recommend any at this time................................
    I am not ready to take cameras out into the depth of white water or even placid lake waters in a canoe or kayak at this time....I need to get water proof housing first......but I was looking at pontoon styled kick boats, like for flyfishing for doing different rivers in the Ozarks but the realization that I needed really good waterproof housings kinda put out the fire for now :~}}
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2010
    I have a Coleman 16.5 canoe with outriggers and trolling motor. I am using it for a platform on quiet waters. You have to consider that it would be easy to destroy your equipment if you flipped it. I also have a water proof case for transporting equipment from place to place and camera only comes out when it is safe to do so. I am a big guy too canoes and kayaks are tippy things. Be safe and always wear a life vest.
    Source for equipment, good service here
    http://www.sailboatstogo.com/v_page.php?content=stabilizer_length
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2010
    DsrtVW wrote: »
    I have a Coleman 16.5 canoe with outriggers and trolling motor. I am using it for a platform on quiet waters. You have to consider that it would be easy to destroy your equipment if you flipped it. I also have a water proof case for transporting equipment from place to place and camera only comes out when it is safe to do so. I am a big guy too canoes and kayaks are tippy things. Be safe and always wear a life vest.
    Source for equipment, good service here
    http://www.sailboatstogo.com/v_page.php?content=stabilizer_length

Thanks for the sugestion and link. I had not seen these before.
    Chris Anderson
    Canon EOS 20D

• Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2010
    Check this out. Very versatile. Stable as an aircraft carrier, and carries a load. If you're over 300lbs, they make a single-seating kit for this one. I have a tandem by the same company (Folbot) and am an enthusiastic endorser of the concept and the company. Not cheap, but it's a lifetime boat.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2010
    Icebear wrote: »
    Check this out. Very versatile. Stable as an aircraft carrier, and carries a load. If you're over 300lbs, they make a single-seating kit for this one. I have a tandem by the same company (Folbot) and am an enthusiastic endorser of the concept and the company. Not cheap, but it's a lifetime boat.

Very slick! thumb.gif To those who said I should just go to REI, I would not be getting these wonderful sugestions from other people. deal.gif
    Chris Anderson
    Canon EOS 20D

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 27, 2010
    Very slick! thumb.gif To those who said I should just go to REI, I would not be getting these wonderful sugestions from other people. deal.gif
    Yeah yeah. By the way, I fixed your title. It's a "kayak", not a "kyack" ... maybe that's why your google searches weren't finding that local outfitter???

:hide
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited October 27, 2010
    J L Waters in Bloomington, ( on the west side of the square downtown ) sells kayaks, canoes, and outdoor clothing. They usually offer a Saturday try out day in the spring at a local lake in Monroe county. You might call them and ask if they are planning that in the spring again.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2010

I'm not sure how my suggestion to go to REI would have eliminated anyone's opinion?

Just FYI, some REI locations offer kayak tours (amongst other tours) as well as the occasional chance to try several different boats out. Since I've taken advantage of both of these, I thought it was a pretty good suggestion.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited October 27, 2010
    I love REI, Ian. I shop at the stores in Denver whenever I am out there, but there is no REI within several hours of Circle City ( Indianapolis ).... I do wish there was, but we get no love. I have been an REI member for over 25 years.

Gander Mountain does offer an assortment of kayaks and canoes in several areas around central Indiana. J L Waters is a small, privately owned store that has been in Bloomington for a very long time, and has actively sold canoes and kayaks there.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin