Options

Another invisible flowers gallery

2»

Comments

• Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2010
    With a dessert of chocolate soldiers #7, this thread sadly comes to an end. Except!... that I will post a couple of Australian natives you all might like to see, but sooc, nothing fancy.

Stand by.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2010
    Here are a couple of shots sooc I thought nice but not development material. They are Australian wildflowers (as much as I know right noweek7.gif).

1. As the sepals(?) progressively open up the stem, the buds kind of pop like popcorn!:D

1054629352_JUseK-L.jpg

2. This has something of the look of a classic northern hemisphere flower, it's pretty and there are masses of blooms which are small but not tiny. But on closer inspection it has alien qualities, and its perfume while sweet has an astringent earthy base. In short it's from downunder!

1054629379_pyBNF-L.jpg

Sincere thanks to all of you who took an interest in my shots!iloveyou.gif

Neil

• Options
    StephanyStephany Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2010
    Hello Neil, <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    I keep coming back to ‘Chocolate soldiers’ (could be Encyclia alata) and just can’t decide if it talks to me, yet. <o:p> </o:p>
    Wildflowers are fun; the first one has lovely blooms and it looks like 'yucca' but am not sure. Neat plant though. The second one is also nice. Whites are always pleasant and fragrance is a huge bonus. Plus, it may be shade loving. Let us know the names if you happen to find out. Does it get much below 15C (60F) in the area where these plants grow? I like the capture of both plants. Post-card pretty.<o:p></o:p>
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2010
    Stephany wrote: »
    Hello Neil, <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I keep coming back to ‘Chocolate soldiers’ (could be Encyclia alata) and just can’t decide if it talks to me, yet. <o:p></o:p>
    Wildflowers are fun; the first one has lovely blooms and it looks like 'yucca' but am not sure. Neat plant though. The second one is also nice. Whites are always pleasant and fragrance is a huge bonus. Plus, it may be shade loving. Let us know the names if you happen to find out. Does it get much below 15C (60F) in the area where these plants grow? I like the capture of both plants. Post-card pretty.<o:p></o:p>

Thanks for your interesting comments, Stephany! I am also ambivalent about this one, more about the flower itself than my image, though. When I first saw these, and another brown petals relative, I was a bit shocked, thinking the brown too dissonantly unnatural a colour for them. Flowers set aesthetic trends, and these seemed to me to be too misbehaving to be liked! I can't look at the actual flowers for very long for that kind of reason. But obviously I saw some potential in them as images. I didn't like the "candy green" context in which they naturally appear, and felt that the extraordinary brown petals with high contrast face to reverse, and the contrast too with the strawberry lip, needed a more dramatic and extreme tonal context. So I developed an overall "burnt" palette, and used the contrasts to produce a more muscular and masculine personality. By comparison to most other flowers they are odd, in nature, and this image sits oddly with my other images. I think that is a logical consequence. But put "Chocolate Soldiers" in the right context for it, and I think its qualities work. So, I like the image and feel that it has potential, in a decorative sense. I can understand though that like with the flowers themselves, not everyone is going to see their good side.

Glad you liked the wildflowers shots. Next time I'm in the gardens I'll try to suss out their identity. Here in Tassie, annual temperatures range from subzero 3 to 5 degrees, to 30+ 2 or 3 degrees, celsius. I don't know if they are native to Tassie though. The first is a closeup of one flower stem, which is growing on a bush, not from the ground.

Here is the undeveloped shot of "Chocolate Soldiers" for comparison with my interpretation:

1054629368_UfUG8-L.jpg

Neil

• Options
    StephanyStephany Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    Neil, personally, I prefer the original image by far. The colors are great. Perhaps I just rotate it some but that is just my preference. This guy could look great in Halloween colors; black petals and bright blue lip. Say Hi! to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State><st1:place>Tasmania</st1:place></st1:State>. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2010
    Stephany wrote: »
    Neil, personally, I prefer the original image by far. The colors are great. Perhaps I just rotate it some but that is just my preference. This guy could look great in Halloween colors; black petals and bright blue lip. Say Hi! to <st1:state><st1:place>Tasmania</st1:place></st1:state>. <o:p></o:p>

As I said, it's doubtful we would have imagined quite a few colours without getting first a hint from flowers, but this brown leaves me uninspired (unless to use it as a decorative key). I do however like the idea of your black and blue "Halloween" orchids, so let me encourage you down the GMO trail!:D

Yes, a little rotation might have been a possibility, it didn't occur to me. I often like the suggestion of dynamism in angles.

It's Hobart Show Day today, a holiday for all, and it's a perfect spring day. One thing Australia does have a lot of is deep blue skies, golden sun, and endless visibility.

Thanks for the discussion.

Neil

• Options
    snowman1snowman1 Registered Users Posts: 272 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2010
    snowman1 wrote: »

Happy you liked them, Doug!

Neil

• Options
    wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    These are all so cool, strange and exotic.

-and I've liked your tagline for awhile now ... :)

-
    Anybody can do it.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2010
    wfeller wrote: »
    These are all so cool, strange and exotic.

-and I've liked your tagline for awhile now ... :)

-

Thanks, Walter!

Now, I'm wondering which grade you'd put them in! And if you'd take my camera away...mwink.gifDrolleyes1.gif

Neil

• Options
    wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2010
    NeilL wrote: »
    Thanks, Walter!

Now, I'm wondering which grade you'd put them in! And if you'd take my camera away...mwink.gifDrolleyes1.gif

Neil

Second grade for sure, and as soon as it didn't cause any motion blur. thumb.gif
    Anybody can do it.