Options

CF Cards for a 1D MII

RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
edited October 24, 2010 in Cameras
Is there a max write speed that the 1D MII has such that it would be overkill to get very-high-end CF cards? You see CF cards on B&H, for example, that cost $500 each (no thank you) and the standard Kingston card that is $79.00 each.

Of course, I am probably going to get a few of the Kingston-priced cards.

I am just curious more than anything else.

Comments

• Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2010
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,849 moderator
    edited October 21, 2010
    The Canon 1D MKII does not have UDMA technology, so UDMA cards are pretty much wasted. (The 1D MKII is 2004 technology after all.) I would stick with 2G and 4G cards and the Sandisk cards do seem to run a little faster than Lexar of the same basic grade. The new Sandisk "Ultra" series, 30 MB/s, 200x are probably a good fit.

Likewise the SD cards beyond class 4 are probably not needed and you need the latest firmware for the 1D MKII/MKIIN to support SDHC.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2010
    Is this any help?
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    The Canon 1D MKII does not have UDMA technology, so UDMA cards are pretty much wasted. (The 1D MKII is 2004 technology after all.) I would stick with 2G and 4G cards and the Sandisk cards do seem to run a little faster than Lexar of the same basic grade. The new Sandisk "Ultra" series, 30 MB/s, 200x are probably a good fit.

Likewise the SD cards beyond class 4 are probably not needed and you need the latest firmware for the 1D MKII/MKIIN to support SDHC.
    Thanks for that information. I have a bunch of 4 GB cards from the old 20D days. I will probably stick with them for now.
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2010
    RogersDA wrote: »
    I have a bunch of 4 GB cards from the old 20D days. I will probably stick with them for now.
    Unless you need high speed, high capacity cards (say, for action photography), your existing cards should be large enough and work fine! thumb.gif
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2010
    I do action photography with a 1DII. Like Ziggy said, it doesn't have UDMA capability. However, I like to get faster cards like the Kingston 133x you mentioned. Two reasons: 1. faster download speed (if you've got a fast reader). 2. The 1DII doesn't have UDMA, but your next camera probably will.

I have that Kingston one, except mine's and 8GB. 32 is just too big and risky for me. I'd rather have 4 8GB cards. They hold somewhere around 600 raws on my 1DII. I'd highly recommend the Kingston 133, BTW. It's a great card, and about as fast as the Mark II can write to CFs.

But you know what the funny thing is? The 1DII can actually write to SDs faster than CFs.ne_nau.gif But most CFs are faster than SDs.

So, yes, your 4GB cards are fine. The Kingstons are great, but I'd highly recommend getting a smaller one like an 8GB instead of that 32GB. The Transcend 8GB 600x is really cheap for 600x, though it's probably not really that fast. I have one and it's worked great so far.thumb.gif I recommend that one too.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,849 moderator
    edited October 24, 2010
    I do action photography with a 1DII. Like Ziggy said, it doesn't have UDMA capability. However, I like to get faster cards like the Kingston 133x you mentioned. Two reasons: 1. faster download speed (if you've got a fast reader). 2. The 1DII doesn't have UDMA, but your next camera probably will.

I have that Kingston one, except mine's and 8GB. 32 is just too big and risky for me. I'd rather have 4 8GB cards. They hold somewhere around 600 raws on my 1DII. I'd highly recommend the Kingston 133, BTW. It's a great card, and about as fast as the Mark II can write to CFs.

But you know what the funny thing is? The 1DII can actually write to SDs faster than CFs.ne_nau.gif But most CFs are faster than SDs.

So, yes, your 4GB cards are fine. The Kingstons are great, but I'd highly recommend getting a smaller one like an 8GB instead of that 32GB. The Transcend 8GB 600x is really cheap for 600x, though it's probably not really that fast. I have one and it's worked great so far.thumb.gif I recommend that one too.

In the link that "W.W. Webster" provided above you can see that Kingston cards in particular are a rather poor choice for Canon cameras. The measured speeds are much less that the manufacturer's ratings.

CF cards have their own on-board controller and the host camera circuitry and timing most definitely affect transfer speeds and are sensitive to the card controller. That's why the empirical ratings are so important, because there is a rather complicated interaction between cards and the devices they are used in.

Transcend 120x (or better) cards do seem pretty compatible but the Sandisk brand seem best overall with Canon dSLRs.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    I would start here at NEW EGG,,,,,,,,I have 15 of
    the 18.99 - 133x CF cards and 1 of the $60 600x cards and so far narry a prob.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited October 24, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    I would start here at NEW EGG,,,,,,,,I have 15 of
    the 18.99 - 133x CF cards and 1 of the $60 600x cards and so far narry a prob.

That's pretty much what I have for the 50D & 5D MII (albeit not in the quantity that you do). I am thinking of going with a set of SD cards for the 1D, and getting some newer cards for the 5D.
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2010
    Luckily the only card failure I ever had was with the microdrive cards. In retrospect I should have never even bought it.

Having said that I'm sure I'll get a card failure tomorrow.