Options

Girls HS Volleyball

OldGuyOldGuy Registered Users Posts: 301 Major grins
edited November 3, 2010 in Sports
Shot my first game this week in about 2 yrs. Gym lighting was terrible.::huh
I think the school was cost-cutting so not all the lights were on.:huh I also was having "Back Focus" issues with my 70-200 so quality is all over the place. Regardless, I am happy with the action and facial expressions.:wink

Comments and Critique are always welcome.:bow

1069359354_25vp5-L-1.jpg

1069359864_8uB5t-L-1.jpg

1069360560_Jgtdr-L-1.jpg

1069361151_KKvvm-L-1.jpg

1069361813_TMc7i-L-1.jpg

1069362430_W9n7H-L-2.jpg

1069362887_3vKdQ-L-1.jpg

1069363622_CAWWZ-L-1.jpg

1069364182_gwz4c-L-1.jpg

1069364700_jwBze-L-2.jpg

Thanks for looking.::D

Comments

• Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2010
    Nice images John. I don't know about your back focus issues, but these look pretty decent to me. I wonder why you are only shooting at ISO1600 though. I'm pretty happy with my D300 at 3200, but then I have ACR 6.2 to clean it up. That would have at least taken care of the softness from motion blur anyway.

A very enjoyable set. As you said, good facial expression. The player in #9 is really up there isn't she!
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    travisntravisn Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited October 30, 2010
    mmmm spandex...

I am allowed to say that still because I graduated hs this decade! :)
  • Options
    benamenbenamen Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 31, 2010
    Hey John,

Where abouts in Michigan are you located? I'm from the Grand Rapids area. Loy Norrix, that's around K-zoo isn't it? The old memory just ain't what she used to be.

Pretty nice shots. The gym looks kind of dark and imposing but the goodnews is the backgrounds are clean. I thought that 1,8,9 & 10 were the best. Number 2 looks oof. No ball in #3 and no eyes in #7. Volleyball is one tough game to shoot. Good stuff!

Ben
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2010
    Some thoughts:
    shot 1: nice action but very harsh contrast.
    shot 2: serves tend to make boring shots, but more important, the face is not sharp - not sure if the shot is overcropped, or blur or damaged from noise but something isn't right with her face.

shot 3: sharpness is good, but no ball and again, contrast is too harsh.
    shot 4: back of heads doesn't make for much of a shot. You want to shoot through or over the net for blocks
    shot 5: I like the lines of the receiver in this shot, but it's framed too loosely - the other player isn't part of the play and there's just too much dead space.
    shot 6: nice timing, but the focus is on the player behind the play, not the player bumping. Given the expression on her face, it's not a flattering shot of her.
    shot 7: nice timing but her face isn't in focus and again it's either over-cropped or too much damage from noise.
    shot 8: again, servers just aren't interesting and there's the issue with facial detail
    shot 9: very nice shot. Easily the best of the bunch.
    shot 10: nice timing but the face isn't in focus and there's noise damage.

Volleyball isn't easy. I think with another game or two under your belt your form will be back. But, I can't tell what's going on with facial detail in many of these - as I said, it's either fixed exposure/noise or overcrop. But you need to solve that technical problem going forward.
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2010
    Icebear wrote: »
    Nice images John. I don't know about your back focus issues, but these look pretty decent to me. I wonder why you are only shooting at ISO1600 though. I'm pretty happy with my D300 at 3200, but then I have ACR 6.2 to clean it up. That would have at least taken care of the softness from motion blur anyway.

A very enjoyable set. As you said, good facial expression. The player in #9 is really up there isn't she!

Thanks John, I feel 3200 ISO is a little too noisy for my taste. I use NoiseNinja.
    travisn wrote: »
    mmmm spandex...
    I am allowed to say that still because I graduated hs this decade! :)

Yes, however check out a swim meet:D
    benamen wrote: »
    Hey John,

Where abouts in Michigan are you located? I'm from the Grand Rapids area. Loy Norrix, that's around K-zoo isn't it? The old memory just ain't what she used to be.

Pretty nice shots. The gym looks kind of dark and imposing but the goodnews is the backgrounds are clean. I thought that 1,8,9 & 10 were the best. Number 2 looks oof. No ball in #3 and no eyes in #7. Volleyball is one tough game to shoot. Good stuff!

Ben

Hi Ben, thanks. I am indeed in Kazoo. I am also the Diving Coach for both the girls and boys swim teams at Norrixmwink.gif

johng wrote: »
    Some thoughts:
    shot 1: nice action but very harsh contrast.
    shot 2: serves tend to make boring shots, but more important, the face is not sharp - not sure if the shot is overcropped, or blur or damaged from noise but something isn't right with her face.

shot 3: sharpness is good, but no ball and again, contrast is too harsh.
    shot 4: back of heads doesn't make for much of a shot. You want to shoot through or over the net for blocks
    shot 5: I like the lines of the receiver in this shot, but it's framed too loosely - the other player isn't part of the play and there's just too much dead space.
    shot 6: nice timing, but the focus is on the player behind the play, not the player bumping. Given the expression on her face, it's not a flattering shot of her.
    shot 7: nice timing but her face isn't in focus and again it's either over-cropped or too much damage from noise.
    shot 8: again, servers just aren't interesting and there's the issue with facial detail
    shot 9: very nice shot. Easily the best of the bunch.
    shot 10: nice timing but the face isn't in focus and there's noise damage.

Volleyball isn't easy. I think with another game or two under your belt your form will be back. But, I can't tell what's going on with facial detail in many of these - as I said, it's either fixed exposure/noise or overcrop. But you need to solve that technical problem going forward.

Thanks John, your points are well taken. As I mentioned at the beginning, I am having some equipment issues that I need to solve, such as #6 where the focus spot was dead center on the front player and it still was off.eek7.gif
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2010
    +1 on #9 being best of the bunch. You have the ball, face and action all together...
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    +1 on #9 being best of the bunch. You have the ball, face and action all together...

Thanks Andrew,

Gotta keep practicingmwink.gif
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2010
    Me too. Unfortunately, we're done for the season. Middle School doesn't last that long. On to Basketball (much harder for me). Nice thing about the MS league, is I can sit pretty much under the ref's stand at the pole...
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site