Options

A Congregation of Bridges

Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
edited November 7, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
So lately I seem to be photographing a lot of bridges in my travels. Here are a few of them -

Over the Piscataquog river -
5132742898_cf5b436636_b.jpg

5132742894_e88ee93e21_b.jpg

Over a feeder brook to the Piscataquog, also used to be a railroad line -
5128489574_ab2bfa6825_b.jpg

5128489580_8f1df1d3fb_b.jpg

A disused railroad bridge over the Merrimack river -
5114211166_24b74c07b7_b.jpg

a footbridge over a feeder brook to the Merrimack -
5108240805_82b98f949b_b.jpg

It's funny how things suddenly seem to gang up on you...I don't think I have shot as many bridges in so short a time.

Comments

• Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2010
    Wicked_Dark, what railtrail or other is this? I'd love to walk it!

Have you tried the one going from Wachusett Resevoir into Holden? There is also an old Factory/Village site with cellar holes! :D

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2010
    So lately I seem to be photographing a lot of bridges in my travels. Here are a few of them -

5132742894_e88ee93e21_b.jpg

How funny... I feel like I've been there before. :D

20100924-_CAB2835.jpg
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2010
    hey New England peeps. Thanks for the comments. This is the New Boston nature trail that runs from the 4H fairgrounds on Rte 13 and basically follows the road and the river for a couple miles. It was an old B&M line if I recall correctly.

It's a picturesque bridge there over the southern fork, isn't it?

Oh and I'm tempted by the walk you mention, Don...old villages and cellar holes!!
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2010
    It's a picturesque bridge there over the southern fork, isn't it?

Oh and I'm tempted by the walk you mention, Don...old villages and cellar holes!!
    Yes it is very pretty.

No buildings in the old village just cellar holes and the Factory area is the same, though there is s lot more remaining stone work.

I'll send a link to some pics soon.

Don
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2010
    Sounds excellent and I haven't been on a road trip in a while.
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2010
    Sounds excellent and I haven't been on a road trip in a while.
    Check out Rail Trail and Stillwater Factory Site. I have other shots in various other galleries, too.

Don
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2010
    I really like the white lines of moving water in your 2nd photo.

The old rail line...cool thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2010
    thanks Mary. bubbles in the water always make for interesting streaks.
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2010
    so hey Don, it looks like it might be a good weekend for the Stillwater factory site. Is that near the Wachusett reservoir too? I'm trying to figure out where it is.
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2010
    so hey Don, it looks like it might be a good weekend for the Stillwater factory site. Is that near the Wachusett reservoir too? I'm trying to figure out where it is.
    I'll send you a Google Maps link if I can manage one!

Meanwhile go to Wachusett Greenways trail Map! thumb.gif

Go to second Parking area from the right (east end) and take the right hand trail going north that circle east. The Factory site is a mile or so down the trail.

Let me know if you go on a Weekend day! Maybe we can connect up! ???

Don
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2010
    Wicked_Dark,

Just noticed that that would be the second from Thomas Street, counting the one on Thomas St by the Reservoir. Off River Street. Not from Stirling Center.

:D

Don
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2010
    The one on wall st. and Rte 31?
    If my husband is amenable, probably we'll go Sunday. I can't say what time though at this point.
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2010
    The one on wall st. and Rte 31?
    If my husband is amenable, probably we'll go Sunday. I can't say what time though at this point.
    No, the P between #3 and #4 on the map! And the Factory Site may actually be called SpringDale Mill???

Not sure about this Sunday. No plans yet. More up to my Wife if she wants to paint or walk....

Don
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2010
    Between Google maps and the Wachusett trail map you gave me I think I have an idea...it looks like we walk a connector trail from River st. to Manning St. and somewhere along the way are remnants of mills on the Quinapoxet river. I think. I'll run it by the other half to see how adventurous he feels and let you know.
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2010
    Between Google maps and the Wachusett trail map you gave me I think I have an idea...it looks like we walk a connector trail from River st. to Manning St. and somewhere along the way are remnants of mills on the Quinapoxet river. I think. I'll run it by the other half to see how adventurous he feels and let you know.
    No, I believe you want the trail that goes back towards going under I190 and the Reservoir and Thomas street. Not the trail from the lot that curves left and heads towards Holden and Rt 31.

The one on the map shows it crossing two bridges.

You could also start at the lot on Thomas St, W. Boylston near the end of River St. and walk by the Fire Exercise tower taht is a couple of rail cars, and then under 190 and after a bit the Old Mill Site is on the left instead of the right.

Don
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2010
    ah, I see now. Thanks. Looks like parking near Thomas st and the corner of River might work. We're kinda used to this kind of weirdness, so I'm sure we'll figure it out. Will be wicked fun anyway...we always find something interesting to do.
    If your wife decides not to paint, post here between now and Sunday and we can meet up.
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2010
    ah, I see now. Thanks. Looks like parking near Thomas st and the corner of River might work. We're kinda used to this kind of weirdness, so I'm sure we'll figure it out. Will be wicked fun anyway...we always find something interesting to do.
    If your wife decides not to paint, post here between now and Sunday and we can meet up.
    Sorry, Art and Shopping take precedence today. Maybe someother time. MAybe through a Meetup shoot from either The Worcester Photography Center Meetup Group or New England Photo Expeditions. I belong to both, but have only been on one shoot with the latter.

Have a nice day!

Looking forward to seeing what you shoot.

Don
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2010
    hey Don. I made it. We parked on Manning and walked the connector to River and on to the Springdale Mills. Before that we stopped on Mill St and I shot this of the unnamed mill there -

5155937870_d2a99d3ab9_b.jpg