Options

New quad core AMD Phenom 2 X4 and CS3 Problems

Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
edited November 12, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
I hope someone here can help...other than telling me that this is a good opportunity to move up to CS5.

I just bought an HP with an AMD Phenom 2 X4 945 microprocessor with 8 gigs of RAM...its weak point is it's video card, an ATI 5450...but that really only limits me game wise...for photography, I think it'll be fine.

I have installed LR1...works fine...waiting to upgrade to LR3 after I got a new computer...so will do that soon.

However, here's my issue...CS3 doesn't like the 64 bit operating system. (Win 7 home premium) I have loaded, removed, reloaded, tried several compatibility modes...XP service pack 3/2...Vista, etc...nothing seems to work.

Once I click on CS3, the first page comes up...then never finishes...or so it seems. The cursor shows "in process." It keeps circling. Eventually, I get...not responding, must be shut down.

I actually found out that it's instantaneously nonresponsive...if I don't wait and go to task manager as soon as CS3 opens, it shows that CS3 is non responsive...and must be shut down.

Anyone have this issue when upgrading to Win 7 64 bit...with a 32 bit version of CS3?

Any Ideas...fixes, etc would be appreciated. I have a wedding to shoot on the 20th and expected this upgrade to be smoother...

I can still use my old computer, but after experiencing this new machine, I'd rather drag it behind my car for the spark effects...lol...

Thanks in advance...
Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed

Comments

• Options
    edited November 7, 2010
    Okay...replying to my own question. After finally being able to talk to HP tech support...it appears that Photoshop CS3 isn't compatible with Win 7...point blank...finito.

Not being one to easily give up...I waited most of the day to get in touch with Adobe tech support...and...believe it or not...same replay. CS3 has tech issues and is not compatible with Win 7...and they didn't specify 32 or 64 bit operating system...just not compatible...this from representative Neelu...Adobe tech support.

Which makes this computer upgrade...hmmm...well some what more expensive than I'd planned. But, on the bright side, I am elgible for an upgrade...so they tell me.

I guess, now a lot of other people will be aware of this issue.

Anyway, such is life...lol.

Ed
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2010
    Thanks for the update! I was watching this thread in hopes someone could help you. It really is a tangled web to navigate out there!
    tom wise
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 8, 2010
    Adobe are masters at forcing people to pay for the latest versions of things. nod.gif
  • Options
    PilotBradPilotBrad Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2010
    Win7 Pro and Ultimate, but not Home, contain the ability to run software in "XP Mode".

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/features/windows-xp-mode.aspx

I think I'd still rather upgrade to CS5, but I wonder if this would have helped with CS3.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited November 8, 2010
    Ed911 wrote: »
    Not being one to easily give up...I waited most of the day to get in touch with Adobe tech support...and...believe it or not...same replay. CS3 has tech issues and is not compatible with Win 7...and they didn't specify 32 or 64 bit operating system...just not compatible...this from representative Neelu...Adobe tech support.
    That's not what Adobe claims on their Web site. You might find this link of interest.
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    That's not what Adobe claims on their Web site. You might find this link of interest.

Yep, read all of that a couple of days ago when researching my issue with running CS3 Extended on Win 7...not the creative suite. I posted the same over in the wedding forum...so far, no one has answered or commented that they have had success using CS3 under Win 7. It may be an issue with CS3 Extended and not with the CS3 Creative Suite.

Home premium has the option to run software in compatibility modes for: XP, Vista, Win 95, 98, 2000, NT4, ME, Server 2003 and 2008...and with the associated service packs...tried XP and Vista...didn't work. Works fine on both my Vista and XP computers, though. I did see that Pro and Ultimate have a different way of generating compatibility than the way that I have mentioned above. Neither tech rep said anything about it...and CS3 wasn't speicifically mentioned in material linked by Brad. Thanks Brad.

However, that is the answer I got back from HP...who referred me to Adobe...and then Adobe's tech support guy said "CS3 has issues under Win 7 and will not work," end of story...so sorry...converstation lasted all of 3 minutes. If the Adobe tech rep doesn't know, then who does.

Believe me, if there was a fix, I'd like to know about it...so that I can refuse CS5...lot of extra money that I didn't plan on spending.

On the other hand...I haven't heard anyone else complaining about it, and that's why I posted here and in the wedding forum...

Thanks for taking the time to try to help me. It's greatly appreciated.

Ed
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2010
    Okay, just spoke to a live person at Adobe. It seems that indeed CS3 is compatible with Windows 7, 64 bit...but, it is not being supported anymore, so they wouldn't help...go figure.

Ed
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    try ;
    go to the exe (s) in install dir
    richt-click on exe / properties / compatibility

check ; run as administrator [ apply ]

this works on a lot of apps , so you could try
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    I had a CS3 run on all my machines - Win7, Vista, XP - no problem.
    Now, i DO have to run it on Compatability mode on Vista... but it is only cause i'm lazy to fix a few issues.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    run as administrator is not the same as compatibility mode

-its not you , i see it every where on internet

but , i also saw posts and pages saying its possible

try run as administrator , weather or not in combination with combatibility mode

BTW
    there is nothing wrong with compatibility mode

also ;
    if CS3 is 32bit , make sure its properly installed > in program files(86) , not in program files
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2010
    basflt wrote: »
    run as administrator is not the same as compatibility mode

-its not you , i see it every where on Internet

but , i also saw posts and pages saying its possible

try run as administrator , weather or not in combination with compatibility mode

BTW
    there is nothing wrong with compatibility mode

also ;
    if CS3 is 32bit , make sure its properly installed > in program files(86) , not in program files

I did a little research and it seems to be the general consensus that all 32 bit programs automatically install in the x86 folder.

I never had a chance to run CS3 as the administrator...mostly because my copy of CS5 arrived...and I double installed it...both 32 and 64 bit.
    So far, so good...very fast...just finding my way around.

Thanks for the suggestions...much appreciated.

Ed
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2010
    I see that your CS5 came in so this is no longer a problem for you, but just a note for others that I had absolutely no problem installing and running CS3 with Win7 Home Premium on a brand new tower. I think it probably has to do with it being a clean install of Win7 on a brand new machine, rather than an upgrade from a previous version of Windows (XP in my case), as per the link that Richard posted. The tricky part would be doing a clean install with upgrade media on an existing machine, but there are several tutorials posted on the web.
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2010
    OffTopic wrote: »
    I see that your CS5 came in so this is no longer a problem for you, but just a note for others that I had absolutely no problem installing and running CS3 with Win7 Home Premium on a brand new tower. I think it probably has to do with it being a clean install of Win7 on a brand new machine, rather than an upgrade from a previous version of Windows (XP in my case), as per the link that Richard posted. The tricky part would be doing a clean install with upgrade media on an existing machine, but there are several tutorials posted on the web.

It's got me perplexed. This is a brand new tower...it was the first install...so...not much else there to interfere.

And, like you said...I've now installed CS5, 32 and 64 bit...works fine. Retiring CS3...clap.gif

Ed