Options

Custom Domain Problem?

SunGloSunGlo Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
edited November 13, 2010 in SmugMug Support
My custom domain suddenly stopped working. Was anything done last night that would affected it? Is anyone else having problems. I checked with my provider and everything from their standpoint is normal.

www.sunglophoto.com

Phil

Edit: Wow, you guys work fast. I had waited about three hours to post my question and right after I finally got around to it, everything was back to normal and my custom domain was working again...ah...thanks for the fast work...ah...?
SunGlo Photography
www.sunglophoto.com
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2010
    Hi, we didn't do anything :D
    It was probably an issue with your domain host, I'm sorry. Glad you're all sorted!
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    Hi, we didn't do anything :D
    It was probably an issue with your domain host, I'm sorry. Glad you're all sorted!

Actually, it's back again. It seems to be coming and going. The great cyberspace God must have the hiccups...
    SunGlo Photography
    www.sunglophoto.com
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2010
    HI, I just checked your domain and you are not properly CNAMEd to SmugMug. Your CNAME must point to domains.smugmug.com Here's our help page http://www.smugmug.com/help/professional-accounts that explains it fully and if you wish, we can help from our help desk, just write our Support Heroes and we're happy to do it all for you. Here's the thread from Aug 2009 explaining things more: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=141333
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2010
    SunGlo wrote: »
    Actually, it's back again. It seems to be coming and going. The great cyberspace God must have the hiccups...

You guessed it right Andy...I just signed back onto my custom domain providers website and received the message below...
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: We are currently experiencing technical difficulties on our hosting platform. We are actively working to resolve these issues and restore service to normal as soon as possible
    I guess it's time to just sit on my hands and wait.

Have fun,

Phil
    SunGlo Photography
    www.sunglophoto.com
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2010
    You guessed it right Andy...I just signed back onto my custom domain providers website and received the message below...
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: We are currently experiencing technical difficulties on our hosting platform. We are actively working to resolve these issues and restore service to normal as soon as possible
    I guess it's time to just sit on my hands and wait.

Have fun,

Phil

Please see my post above, very important!
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2010
    HI, I just checked your domain and you are not properly CNAMEd to SmugMug. Your CNAME must point to domains.smugmug.com Here's our help page http://www.smugmug.com/help/professional-accounts that explains it fully and if you wish, we can help from our help desk, just write our Support Heroes and we're happy to do it all for you. Here's the thread from Aug 2009 explaining things more: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=141333

Not sure what you saw, but I pointed the CNAME to that address way back when the post first came out and I've had not problems until today which appears to be an issues with my providers platform.

Add Domain Aliases (CNAME)

Add more domain aliases by filling in the fields below. Please click Continue when finished.
    www.sunglophoto.com points to domains.smugmug.com
    SunGlo Photography
    www.sunglophoto.com
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2010
    Not sure what you saw, but I pointed the CNAME to that address way back when the post first came out and I've had not problems until today which appears to be an issues with my providers platform.

Add Domain Aliases (CNAME)

Add more domain aliases by filling in the fields below. Please click Continue when finished.
    www.sunglophoto.com points to domains.smugmug.com

Maybe it's because your domain host is having problems .. I still can't pull up your site because of that.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2010
    Maybe it's because your domain host is having problems .. I still can't pull up your site because of that.
    I get in sometimes and not other times. Usually, it doesn't work, but a couple times it has.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2010

Andy,

I emailed the help desk and Anthony indicated that my A record IP address was incorrect. Not sure what the A record does but I changed the IP address to the one he provided.

I had set all that up per the 2009 instructions. One question I had for Anthony was when did you guys change the IP address where I point the A record and is there any way I could be notified via email of important changes, like that one, that may have an effect on my customizations? Trust me, I wouldn't complain about being spammed on those topics. Maybe give customers the option to opt-out via their control panel if they don't want to recieve those notifications.

Oh, and if you get the time, pat Anthony on the back...he did a great job.

Thanks,

Phil

EDIT: Clarification--the original problem was/is technical issues with my domain host's hosting platform, not a SmugMug problem.
    SunGlo Photography
    www.sunglophoto.com
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2010
    jfriend wrote: »
    I get in sometimes and not other times. Usually, it doesn't work, but a couple times it has.

Thanks for checking John. My domain host is still having problems...can't complain though, this is the first time in seven years with them. Here's the notice they have up on my account page...
    Have fun,

Phil
    SunGlo Photography
    www.sunglophoto.com
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Options
    kaymagkaymag Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2010
    Not a smugmug problem...
    Hey guys!

I just woke up to the same issue. It's not a smugmug problem. Their site does say they are having technical issues. It's register.com for anyone else getting on here having the same issue.....

Thanks for all you do Andy and the gang!!
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2010
    Not sure what's going on...
    kaymag wrote: »
    Hey guys!

I just woke up to the same issue. It's not a smugmug problem. Their site does say they are having technical issues. It's register.com for anyone else getting on here having the same issue.....

Thanks for all you do Andy and the gang!!

Actually, I've noticed now that by going to www.kaymagphotography.smugmug.com the site pulls up but none of my custom headers are working.... Strange....
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2010
    kaymag wrote: »
    Actually, I've noticed now that by going to www.kaymagphotography.smugmug.com the site pulls up but none of my custom headers are working.... Strange....

because you are pulling your banners from your custom domain

#my_banner {
    width: 750px;
    height: 100px;
    margin: 0 auto;
    background: url(http://www.kaymagphotography.com/photos/986140346_4yykc-L.png) no-repeat;
    }

change this and it will work always, even if your domain is down

#my_banner {
    width: 750px;
    height: 100px;
    margin: 0 auto;
    background: url(/photos/986140346_4yykc-L.png) no-repeat;
    }
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2010
    Thanks!!
    Thanks Andy!! I should have caught that myself.....

I appreciate it!
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2010
    Fyi...
    Just a quick update on the Register.com domain host problem...

From their website:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: 9:30 AM, Saturday, November,13th - On Friday, November 12th we were hit by a distributed denial of service attack (ddos). We are actively working to mitigate the attack and restore services as soon as possible. Every available resource has been deployed to address this malicious attack. If you are having trouble accessing your webmail, please contact customer service at 1888.734.4783. We will update you as soon as we have more information.

Phil
    SunGlo Photography
    www.sunglophoto.com
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬