Options

This sub-forum has corrupted me...

M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
edited November 30, 2010 in Street and Documentary
:thumb

This afternoon I spent some time looking at film bodies, specifically a Nikon FE2 with a 50mm f/1.8 Nikkor. For $225 I can delve into the world of film and B&W like everyone else here. Heck, I even purchased some Tri-X and priced chemicals/reels/jugs.

Thanks guys..... Thanks. :D

Comments

• Options
    camit34camit34 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited November 7, 2010
    I miss my film bodies...have been thinking of selling them lately but the only on really worth anything is the only one I really want to keep, so I figured I'd just keep them all and get back into film. Have fun!
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2010
    I'm looking at my little old Minolta x-370 as we type and a small boxload of different film.
    I haven't loaded the camera yet--it's been years since I've loaded film:)
    I also went really gun ho a few months ago and puchased the chemicals reels etc. but have put it off until the summer was over. Fall is here and I'm out of excuses, glad you posted this.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2010
    I figured for less than $100 I can get:

Double reel tank w/reels
    1gal mix D-76
    Stop
    Fix
    3 jugs
    Squeegie tongs
    Spotfree rinse
    Thermometer
    Graduated cylinder

Our local camera processing store charges $9 to develop a 24 exposure roll of B&W, then $6 to scan the results to disc. They said they'd scan the film as long as I didn't cut it for the $6 so that's my way to get it digital easily. Won't take too many rolls to clear my cost.

I'm actually looking forward to this....
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2010
    This post made me smile.
  • Options
    misterbmisterb Banned Posts: 601 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2010
    I just got a Beseler 23c II Enlarger and Nikkor lens.. same stuff I used in the late 70's and early 80's.

My Olympus OM-2n should be back from "rehab" soon, and I *finally* finished up the yardwork wifey wanted.

B&W "old school style" in da HOUSE! mwink.gifDmwink.gif
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2010
    Ah... the Bessler 23c. I had one of them from about 1972 to 1979. Man did I crank out a bunch-o-prints on that workhorse. I'm not sure I want to go that route now. But the film body and developing my own (flaws, spots, dust and all...) is really high on my radar right now. Maybe I'll get more comments on submissions? lol.....

And I'm glad to have sparked the fire in some here.
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2010
    M38A1 wrote: »
    Ah... the Bessler 23c. I had one of them from about 1972 to 1979. Man did I crank out a bunch-o-prints on that workhorse. I'm not sure I want to go that route now. But the film body and developing my own (flaws, spots, dust and all...) is really high on my radar right now. Maybe I'll get more comments on submissions? lol.....

And I'm glad to have sparked the fire in some here.

Disassembled the Beseler, cleaned, lubricated, and viola- enlarger works!

Must have had 25 years of dust.. glass parts were grungy.. etc.

A little bit of elbow grease, Orange Blast, Remington Gun Oil, Windex.. success!

Very small step in the right direction.. found stuff online for cheap.

:D
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2010
    Well last night I loaded up that roll of Tri-X, set the ASA on 400 and headed out into the night with my Nikon N2020 body and a 50mm Nikkor f/1.8 (circa early 1980's). Dropped the film off today and it'll be done (processing/scans) next Friday.

As they say.... News and pictures at eleven, so stay tuned. Wow - REAL film.
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    Since I'm total noobsauce, what is the appeal of these sort of cameras, over say a Canon 7D, for street?
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2010
    Since I'm total noobsauce, what is the appeal of these sort of cameras, over say a Canon 7D, for street?

The "look and feel" of true B&W film is somewhat different and the tones of film are nicer.

Plus- every shot gives you a brand new "sensor" of 25 Megapixels.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/why-we-love-film.htm
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2010
    Jeez, I even looked at Diana's and Holga's yesterday as well....
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2010

Well.. since you are only 22 and still "wet behind the ears" I'll impart what little knowledge I have gathered in *a half century* I've been around as it pertains to cameras. Plus- as a Marine, you probably have to be told the same thing at least 3x so it sinks into the dog-skull.

The Canon 7D is 148 x 111 x 74 mm (5.8 x 4.3 x 2.8 in) and weighs 1.8 lbs.

The classic film Olympus OM-2n is 5.35"x3.27"x1.97 and weighs 1.2 lbs

That makes a film camera less of a chore to carry and is less conspicuous and "threatening" on the street. This is in addition to what Ken Rockwell states on his website.
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2010
    Hmmm.... Today a client of my friends handed me a bag and said "it's yours - enjoy it". I open the bag up and inside is an Olympus OM10 with a ZYKKOR AUTO 50mm f/1.7 lens and a Starblitz 80-200 f/4.5, all in what I'd say is really nice condition. I guess I need to pick up a battery and find an on-line manual for this thing. headscratch.gif

And I now have a lead on a couple Nikon FE and FE2 bodies with Nikkor lens's that a family member has offered to give to me if I want them. Looks like I might have a nice little vintage inventory starting.

Can't wait until Friday to see my first film shots back from processing...
  • Options
    Firehouses of OhioFirehouses of Ohio Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited November 22, 2010
    I still have the itch for a medium film format camera....
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2010
    I still have the itch for a medium film format camera....

I'm contemplating a Mamiya 7 II with the 80mm (~40mm equivalent). It's not outrageously expensive and might be fun for some outlandish street work. Of course I'd love the new Pentax 645D or a nice Hassy with a digital back, but there're both a little out of reach.
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2010
    I've been looking at the Pentax 67.
  • Options
    mikepennmikepenn Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2010
    I started using film several months ago in addition to digital, I get bored and this energized me. I also found that with no LCD screen to look at I moved faster. While i couldn't afford to go out and spend $7000 on a Nikon D3s for night time street photography I could afford to go out and spend $65 on an Olympus OM-1 , Fuji Neopan 1600 and ilford delta 3200 film. Since then I have purchased...
    Pentax K1000
    Canon AE-1 Program
    Minolta SRT-201
    All four cameras together with lenses were $250 ! My favorite film camera though is a P&S Ricoh GR1s from Japan. I paid $400 and I take it everywhere. My next digital purchase if the reviews are forgivable is the Fuji FX100.
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2010
    mikepenn wrote: »
    i started using film several months ago in addition to digital, i get bored and this energized me. I also found that with no lcd screen to look at i moved faster. While i couldn't afford to go out and spend $7000 on a nikon d3s for night time street photography i could afford to go out and spend $65 on an olympus om-1 , fuji neopan 1600 and ilford delta 3200 film. Since then i have purchased...
    Pentax k1000
    canon ae-1 program
    minolta srt-201
    all four cameras together with lenses were $250 ! My favorite film camera though is a p&s ricoh gr1s from japan. I paid $400 and i take it everywhere. My next digital purchase if the reviews are forgivable is the fuji fx100.

yeah!
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2010
    ...Well, the story continues. clap.gif Film!

First shots HERE

• Options
    edited November 30, 2010
    RutRow.... The BBT (Big Brown Truck) arrived today. My uncle was cleaning out a closet and offered up the following. I couldn't resist...

1110470472_6wStb-L.jpg

1110474276_R37fE-L.jpg

1110470325_T2qp7-L.jpg

1110469115_z7t5D-L.jpg