Options

advice for a upcoming group shot please..

VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
edited November 27, 2010 in People
In a few days I am shooting a large extended family of 26 people, 6 combined families. late afternoon, outdoors.

I am guessing I should use my new 24 - 70 nikon zoom, which I have not yet mastered, thus this thread. 2 yrs ago i did a similar shoot and I used my Sigma 10 - 20, BIG BIG mistake!And I had the largest person on the end closest to me !!

I need an idea of what aperture I should use, how far away I need to be, and how best to group the people depth wise etc to have everyone in focus, AND I could use a tip on what my auto focus on my d 700 should be set at.

I did shoot a smaller group with my 50 1/4 mm a year ago and a member gave me tips like this that did the trick.
thanks in advance!
Trudy
www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700

Comments

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    I would stick with a normal lens. I'm assuming you are going outside for this. I would try to go with three rows and not in a straight line but more of a SLIGHT semi circle. I would probably do a manual focus and focus on the middle row. The older lens used to show you what would be in focus at that distance and f stop. I would try for an F8 if possible and definitely on a tripod. Late in the afternoon watch out for you time line. I'm sure everyone will ask you to do our group and you light might run out so watch out for that.

Larger people with a spouse look better if they lean in toward their spouse a little. Chairs with arms are nice to work with. Mom in the chair and dad sitting on the arm with a older child sitting on the ground possible resting an arm on moms leg. If they have a stool to sit on the better it looks. A younger child sitting on moms lap or dad holding them on his arm. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    Thank you Charles, 2 families already asked for extra shoots, I am doing them first and have 2 hours before the big group. So should I use my 50 mm? I also have an 85mm.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    I would definitely use distance as a primary tool. The farther you are from the group the better your chances of getting everyone in focus even at wider apertures.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    In your case I'd probably use the 85. Remember to use triangles. Try to get the faces in some sort of triangle configuration. It is a pleasing effect in posing. Good luck. Oh, just because your their for the family shot don't forget to charge appropirately for the rest of the work you are asked to do. It does increase your processing time in front of the computer.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    I'm going to go against the grain here and suggest that your 24-70 f2.8 would do a fine job on the d700. You could use a step ladder, bump up your ISO (hey, it's a D700) and forgo the tripod. Being a bit higher will help with your DOF concerns, because it will tend to "tilt" the plane of the rows of faces toward your camera. With an 85, and a group that size, you're going to have to be pretty far back. I'd think 70mm would be OK, and the zoom capability might mean less repositioning.

Arranging in a bit of a flattened semi-circle is a big help too.

I've gotten some nice compliments on family reunion shots taken from a higher vantage point.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    nicnellynicnelly Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited November 24, 2010
    how did it go??
    Hi Trudy, I have a very similar shoot coming up (also in AZ!!) and I would love to know what you learned from your shoot and how it went! How did the timing with the different groups work out? Which lens did you choose and what did you do for lighting. I would love to see the shot too! I have a group of 20 who are interested in whole group and a number of different group combinations. I already know that I am way under charging but it is also my first large group and I want to do it perfectly. Anything that you can share would help!

I'm shooting with a Canon 50D and only have the kit lens and a 50 mm 1.4 but I am ready to invest in my next lens.
  • Options
    TenThirteenTenThirteen Registered Users Posts: 488 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2010
    I tagged along to help Trudy and boy was it hectic! But I had to share this, the kids loved her! :D I think she did a great job and I can't wait to see all of her shots!

n50tci.jpg
    Canon Fan
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2010
    Cool. And . . . that looks very much like a 24-70 f2.8mwink.gif.
    Did it do good?
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2010
    Very cool shot! Yes, please share pics and how your flash worked out!!
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2010
    I didn't get very many shots as I was the reflector/diffuser holder and pose helper. But my shot above was taken by my crappy 75-300MM refurbished zoom lens that I bought for $75 bucks! rolleyes1.gif
    Canon Fan
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2010
    I didn't get very many shots as I was the reflector/diffuser holder and pose helper. But my shot above was taken by my crappy 75-300MM refurbished zoom lens that I bought for $75 bucks! rolleyes1.gif

Oh too funny...so I meant how the lighting worked out for the group shot but I love hearing about deals people find anyway!

I am still hesitant about my lighting needs for a large group shoot I am planning so I was hoping to hear about how this one turned out and what you decided to use.
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2010
    It was pretty stressful. There was bright sunlight (which two of us were trying to sheild with diffusers, and then nice shade, but I felt it made the pictures a little dull (at least the ones I got). But it would have worked out perfectly if the 26 people understood lighting and would listen to us! hehehe
    Canon Fan