Options

3rd part Snoots for AB 800's

justin24justin24 Registered Users Posts: 402 Major grins
edited December 2, 2010 in Accessories
Anyone know if there is a site that sells 3rd part Snoots that work for Alien Bee 800's?

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2010
    I can only ansswer there probavbly is...you need to google what you need because I have no idea what size your reflector is....
    Most modifiers are dependent on the reflector size...since that is where it will connect to.

Have you tried mking them out of black or white poster board......I have done this and they work...plus you can
    make the end and size you want to concentrate you light like you want not how a modifier manufacturer says it should be...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    justin24justin24 Registered Users Posts: 402 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2010
    Is it possible?
    Since I'm not the richest person in the world. I don't have the funds at the moment to buy a snoot for my Alien Bee 800's at the moment. Is it possible to use a pvc tubing or Cereal box to get almost the same effect in minimizing the light if I'm only using the strobe and not the modeling lamp?
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,909 moderator
    edited December 1, 2010
    I merged these 2 threads.

You can pretty much use any number of DIY approaches to controlling light from a studio strobe. I suggest caution with using anything flammable or meltable near the modelling light. Either turn off the modelling light or, better/safer, remove the modelling light when using a DIY solution.

I would use a black material for a DIY snoot project. If you have a speedlight/speedlite that you are not otherwise using you can simply roll a black "Foamies" sheet into a tube to create a simple snoot for that flash. Cardboard rolled into a tube will also work but the darker the material, the finer the beam control due to reduced internal reflections.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    rjpatrjpat Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    One caveat on studio strobes, the modeling light will melt the foamy sheets. (learned that one the hard way)
    Ron

We never know how something we say, do, or think today, will effect the lives of millions tomorrow....BJ Palmer
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    justin24 wrote: »
    Since I'm not the richest person in the world. I don't have the funds at the moment to buy a snoot for my Alien Bee 800's at the moment. Is it possible to use a pvc tubing or Cereal box to get almost the same effect in minimizing the light if I'm only using the strobe and not the modeling lamp?
    Use poster board....I personally have made mine out of white poster boars and the results were just fine...blk as Ziggy suggests is probably fine also........I would not use foamies on studio flash units.....could melt as stated above.

Good Luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website