Options

The rumored 100-400 replacement

2»

Comments

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2010
    Thanks for showing the nice picture.
    I meant that I would not need to bring both 100-400 and 70 -200 together for a business trip. Just on 70-300 F4 with a 1.4X would be good enough for me to catch most of the bird picture. Seriously looking into the 100-400 but still not happy that it is a bit old and anticipate it will be replaced with newer version soon like th 70-200 MarkII.

Who makes a 70-300/4?
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    NormanPCNNormanPCN Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited December 3, 2010
    CSwinton wrote: »
    The new 70-300 has been a bit hard to figure out since Canon has so many lenses in that range.

Easy to figure out. It is a obviously a very popular lens for Canon. This was the first IS lens. They have reved this range many times. They experimented with the 'DO' in this range. So now they created a higher quality super priced version to get some extra dough out of those willing to spend for a lens in this range and weight class.

-Norman
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2010
    You don't know?
    kdog wrote: »
    Everybody here raise your hands if you requested the 70-300mm L. (No hands go up.)

Raise your hand if you requested an upgraded 100-400L (F4 would be nice). (Everybody's hands go up.)

Raise your hand if you requested the Print button on your camera body. (Crickets chirping...)

Raise your hand if you requested sRAW1 and sRAW2. (Nada)

I'd really like to know what mythical group of photographers that Canon is allegedly listening to. headscratch.gif

I thought that everyone knew that it is Mrs. Hidaki, the lady responsible for cleaning the third floor Canon bathrooms and for performing the Canon Equipment Surveys.

Mrs. Hidaki has the proud distinction of being the lady who is responsible for the 60D. Didn't everyone know that photographers wanted a fancy, high priced Rebel, not an improved follow up to the 50D? Our Mrs. Hidaki did! And what she wants, she gets! It is said that she is blackmailing some important Canon executives who are closet Nikon users.

She has determined that among the myriad of 70 or 75mm to 300mm Canon lenses, the photographers of the world were salivating for one that carried a red band.

Mrs. Hidaki is now working on the general complaints of photographers that the "white" L telephoto lenses are too noticeable. She has determined that the photographers would generally prefer a nice subdued paisley pattern to the white color or perhaps that a tartan pattern might sell well in the U.K.
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2010
    rpcrowe wrote: »
    I thought that everyone knew that it is Mrs. Hidaki, the lady responsible for cleaning the third floor Canon bathrooms and for performing the Canon Equipment Surveys.

Mrs. Hidaki has the proud distinction of being the lady who is responsible for the 60D. Didn't everyone know that photographers wanted a fancy, high priced Rebel, not an improved follow up to the 50D? Our Mrs. Hidaki did! And what she wants, she gets! It is said that she is blackmailing some important Canon executives who are closet Nikon users.

She has determined that among the myriad of 70 or 75mm to 300mm Canon lenses, the photographers of the world were salivating for one that carried a red band.

Mrs. Hidaki is now working on the general complaints of photographers that the "white" L telephoto lenses are too noticeable. She has determined that the photographers would generally prefer a nice subdued paisley pattern to the white color or perhaps that a tartan pattern might sell well in the U.K.

rolleyes1.gif

Did you get a look at some leaked documents??!!eek7.gifhuheek7.gif ("I thought everybody knew!" is barely credible defense, though it has been famously and recently used elsewhere!)

@ Ms (Mrs is too frumpy for her strategic importance to Canon intelligence!) Hidaki: Lenses with football team colours would sell well in Australia.thumb.gif

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    If the formal reviews show that the new 70-300mm "L" is stellar, I might reconsider.

I guess you can start reconsidering now: 70-300 L IS vs 300mm f/4.0 L IS (100% crops) mwink.gif
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2010
    Manfr3d wrote: »
    I guess you can start reconsidering now: 70-300 L IS vs 300mm f/4.0 L IS (100% crops) mwink.gif

To me, the results are like choosing between wine trifle with whipped cream and brandy flamed plum pudding with icecream.mwink.gifD

Have you made your verdict?

Neil

• Options
    edited December 10, 2010
    richy wrote: »
    Perhaps the RSA version could be twice the size, come with a winch and bull bars and a beer keg holder!

Now yer TALKIN' maannnn....! :smo

wo' abou' a vershun wiv vis on i' :gun2

Niiiii
    ....ce! yeah?

(Neil)

• Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2010
    NeilL wrote: »
    To me, the results are like choosing between wine trifle with whipped cream and brandy flamed plum pudding with icecream.mwink.gifD

Have you made your verdict?

Neil

I think I have. I own the 70-200 L II, so there would be alot of overlap with
    the 70-300 which seems unacceptable at this pricepoint (to me at least)
    regardless of the qualities of the 70-300. My next tele will be something
    that is an addition and not a substitute for the 70-200. I'm thinking along the
    lines of a slow 400mm or a fast 300mm prime + TC. There should be alot
    of used 300mm 2.8 L IS lenses on the market next year right? mwink.gif
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2010
    Manfr3d wrote: »
    I think I have. I own the 70-200 L II, so there would be alot of overlap with
    the 70-300 which seems unacceptable at this pricepoint (to me at least)
    regardless of the qualities of the 70-300. My next tele will be something
    that is an addition and not a substitute for the 70-200. I'm thinking along the
    lines of a slow 400mm or a fast 300mm prime + TC. There should be alot
    of used 300mm 2.8 L IS lenses on the market next year right? mwink.gif

yep, likely so. as they say, what goes round comes round.mwink.gif

as fer me, I might have gone about as fer as I can go, yes sir... with my 300 f4L

as for the comparison of the IQ of those two lenses, I think the charts look better for the new one in sharpness and contrast. but then I don't have the latest 1D whatever to go with it, and f4 is faster than f5.6, you know what I mean?

and thanks for posting the link. great!thumb.gif

Neil

• Options
    edited December 10, 2010
    kdog wrote: »

Yes, I did run through a few of the charts, and to my eyes the new 70-300 looks consistently more contrasty and sharp. Also, the prime needs to be good wide open otherwise the f4 advantage disappears.

The comparison in your last link is wow!

Thanks.

Neil

• Options
    edited December 11, 2010
    but they would have been taken in massive amounts of light.

Not necessarily. It gets dark there every day too, and top predators are often lazy and lie about through the massive amounts of light until it's cooler and their prey are going to drink. And since you have to stay a long way from them you have to contend not only with falling light but long distances. Add to those the animals are moving, and sometimes moving fast. Good circumstances to test a tele lens, seems to me.

Neil

• Options
    edited December 11, 2010
    but then I check out the full size real world shots on flickr and it seems to eat detail at the long end. Stuff like the dogs hair, or the reeds shot.

Well, isn't there a real live tog behind the lens there, as opposed to a light bench holding it? Photographer or lens eating the detail? A different camera body is going to affect resolution too. How many 1DsIIIs were attached?

Neil

• Options
    edited December 11, 2010
    Yep, gotcha, Richy. Interesting reading. And great shot!eek7.gifclap

Neil