Options

3 from Christmas and 34th Street

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited December 10, 2010 in Street and Documentary
ok--I don't think I'm nailing these. Is it the use of the 50mm? I think these would have benefited from going back to the 25mm.

1119817296_qHh7V-L.jpg

1119824023_SXNFU-L.jpg

1119815716_E34dU-L.jpg

I really want these to work but....
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2010
    Liz, these don't really excite me and yes I think it partially related to the focal length. The 50mm on your camera is equal to a 100mm on a full frame camera. For yours and my approach, that's long. That said, your girl looks absolutely mesmerised by the window display in the first.
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2010
    michswiss wrote: »
    Liz, these don't really excite me and yes I think it partially related to the focal length. The 50mm on your camera is equal to a 100mm on a full frame camera. For yours and my approach, that's long. That said, your girl looks absolutely mesmerised by the window display in the first.

Thanks Jenn--I had a feeling--actually I knew they didn't work but I wanted them to.

Also not my little girl--don't know any of the kids.

Macy's on 34th is right by job and they do a great job with the window display. I like to see the kids' reactions to the windows--the adults too.
    It was so crazy crowded and me standing back to get the kids and some of the display required me to stand back a considerable distance, but with so many people in the way I had to wait for a quick window to take any shot--plus I'm still not getting enough of the scene. I will try this again with my 25 and see if it works out better.

Thanks Jenn
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2010
    As much as I want to like them, I just don't think they meet the level of what you've posted in the past. I think the focal length has a lot to do with them. The content is there, but execution is just short of what you've done.

For example, in #1, the little girl in the middle has a great expression as do the other two. Maybe having a wider view, we could see what interests them so much. But their looks individually have me asking "what are they so memorized by"?

#2, much the same with the closest girl looking at a part of Santa. Wider would have provided the whole Santa. And maybe crop off the girl on the far left as she has a poo-poo look compared to the glimmer/smile of the center girl.

Just my 2 cents which is worth about, well.... just that!

• Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2010
    Issue is not that these are shot with the 50, but that you are shooting the 50 as if it were your 25. Requires a different mind set with its own learning curve. Same would be true if you had the 50 first and then tried to take the same pics with a new 25.

My thinking on shooting what you posted:
    1. The siblings (?) with their parallel stances, dress in puffy coats with mittens, and rapt gaze are the main subjects and should have filled more of the frame and excluded the left side.
    2. Stand by the window and shoot the crowd of kids faces, not worrying about having the window display in the shot.
    3. I like this one with the lighting and arrangement of the girls. But camera needed pointing slightly more to the right to get the guy staring at them (or so it seems).

Anyway, hope this helps conceptualize that you are looking for different types of photos with the different lenses.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited December 9, 2010
    rainbow wrote: »
    Issue is not that these are shot with the 50, but that you are shooting the 50 as if it were your 25. Requires a different mind set with its own learning curve. Same would be true if you had the 50 first and then tried to take the same pics with a new 25.

Bingo. You needed to be further back and down lower.
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    Bingo. You needed to be further back and down lower.

Listen to the long-lense shooters...

I'll back up and agree with Rainbow in so much that it takes practice and a slightly different technique. The longest lens I normally shoot with is an 85mm on full frame. I consider it an "across the street" lens if I want a scene or for "personal" shots if used close. I personally think it makes composition more difficult than a wide lens up close especially in crowded settings.
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2010
    Ok so you guys have hit on my dilemma.
    First I'll say this--I had my 25 in the bag but I was honestly trying to challenge myself and I figured if I was any good at all, I could make this work with my 50mm. I have stubbornly refused to take it off my camera since I got it. So my initial thought was I have to make this work, my other thought was "well a good photographer knows what equipment to use, ie the 25mm". But what if I only owned the 50mm, can I not shoot awesome street shots with that? My problem was the unbeleivably crowded conditions. I literally have to shoot through a sea of people to get the ones from behind.
    My best shot is the first one and I thought it almost worked. I was not bummed about not getting the window in the shot because I knew it would be the expressions that would be the focal point and make the viewer wonder what they're looking at--and wondering is good no? But I also wanted some with the windows as they are just so cool. I have my camera today, I have both lenses again---I"m going back again. I guess I will try shooting with both and see, but I am slightly pissed I can't make it work with a 50mm.

It's so crowded with tourists and angry new yorkers getting through the tourists. I got bumped quite a bit--really puts you in the spirit :)
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2010
    If the third girl over's eyes were open, I would love #2.
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2010
    I have my camera today, I have both lenses again---I"m going back again. I guess I will try shooting with both and see, but I am slightly pissed I can't make it work with a 50mm.

It's so crowded with tourists and angry new yorkers getting through the tourists. I got bumped quite a bit--really puts you in the spirit :)

Liz, I normally carry three lenses and a second camera (the little one you saw). I think of each as having a different mood, but more importantly I start thinking and seeing in each focal length as I scan a scene. I'm sure I've missed an absolute treasure trove of good opportunities by not using a zoom when prowling. But I honestly feel I respond quicker knowing exactly what the FoV is before I get the camera involved in the shot.

Keep practicing. Don't worry about the ones that don't work. Spend a lot of time just looking through the viewfinder at a scene to understand distances, framing and compression. I'm sure before the New Year, you won't be able to say whether the 25 or 50 is your favourite. It won't matter.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited December 9, 2010
    Keep practicing. Don't worry about the ones that don't work. Spend a lot of time just looking through the viewfinder at a scene to understand distances, framing and compression. I'm sure before the New Year, you won't be able to say whether the 25 or 50 is your favourite. It won't matter.
    15524779-Ti.gif With enough practice you will automatically attune your seeing to the lens you are using. That said, for very crowded streets, I like to go as wide as I can.
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2010
    I honestly really like #2. At first glance, I thought she was looking at the nutcracker. I can see where everyone is coming with the focal length comments though. It is irritating sometimes to not have a wide enough angle.
  • Options
    NyarthlopicNyarthlopic Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2010
    Hey Liz,

Of this set, I'm a fan of #2. I've always liked the shot of kids looking at all the toys in a front window. I'd like to have seen a little more of the window, but I think you could have gotten that from a lower angle. If possible, drop down to a knee and snap the shot. Didn't necessarily need the wider lens for it.

I like your drive not to go back to your 25 as a crutch. As much as I'd like to see you keep going with the 50, if you aren't satisfied with the results, go back to the 25 knowing that you can still use the 50...it's not like you can't switch them out again. :-)

For whatever little it's worth, I like your work, regardless of glass. I've said it before and I'll say it again, you have a great eye for catching moments. I admire and envy you for that.
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2010
    Liz, I normally carry three lenses and a second camera (the little one you saw). I think of each as having a different mood, but more importantly I start thinking and seeing in each focal length as I scan a scene. I'm sure I've missed an absolute treasure trove of good opportunities by not using a zoom when prowling. But I honestly feel I respond quicker knowing exactly what the FoV is before I get the camera involved in the shot.

3 lenses and a second camera! crazy :D.
    I can't do that--I literally can't---it would drive me insane. Even with just two lenses I always want the lens that's not on the body, as soon as I switch I want the other lens back. Lately I've been trying to carry only one lens so I can just shoot with what I have and not worry the entire time "oh if only I had the other lens this would be spectacular".

I did like your little NEX though.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif With enough practice you will automatically attune your seeing to the lens you are using. That said, for very crowded streets, I like to go as wide as I can.

You are right.
    I went to Grand Central Station today and shot with my 50mm. It was too crowded again but I tried to work around it. It's forcing me to be quicker as I can't take my time to shoot and focus with so many people in the way. Matter of fact I popped the camera up so fast that I almost knocked my teeth out rolleyes1.gif--I got the shot though.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2010
    I honestly really like #2. At first glance, I thought she was looking at the nutcracker. I can see where everyone is coming with the focal length comments though. It is irritating sometimes to not have a wide enough angle.

I know I see it too--it's just that I"m so in love with the sharpness of my 50mm and like today in Grand Central I needed the 50 as it's so much better in low light (once I can get it in focus--it struggles in low light).
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2010
    Hey Liz,

Of this set, I'm a fan of #2. I've always liked the shot of kids looking at all the toys in a front window. I'd like to have seen a little more of the window, but I think you could have gotten that from a lower angle. If possible, drop down to a knee and snap the shot. Didn't necessarily need the wider lens for it.

I like your drive not to go back to your 25 as a crutch. As much as I'd like to see you keep going with the 50, if you aren't satisfied with the results, go back to the 25 knowing that you can still use the 50...it's not like you can't switch them out again. :-)

For whatever little it's worth, I like your work, regardless of glass. I've said it before and I'll say it again, you have a great eye for catching moments. I admire and envy you for that.

That is one great compliment, thank you.

On a side note--I'm pretty much never satisified with what I have. Had I shot this with my 25 I would have complained about the soft focus. I have "the grass is greener" issues.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2010
    ...I have "the grass is greener" issues.

You mean you still have green grass where you live? I thought all that white stuff would have killed it off by now. :D

Oh, sunny and 73*F here now.

• Options
    edited December 10, 2010
    M38A1 wrote: »
    You mean you still have green grass where you live? I thought all that white stuff would have killed it off by now. :D

Oh, sunny and 73*F here now.

Scott
    I no longer like you.
    :)
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2010
    Scott
    I no longer like you.
    :)