Options

My Nikon 24-120 f/4 VR first impressions

insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
edited December 16, 2010 in Cameras
Some first impressions I'd thought I would post. I won't bore you guys too much with a introduction.

I am coming from the Nikon 24-70 2.8 on a D700, so keep that in mind. First off, I am sure some of you hear a lot about the distortions at the wide end. Yes there is a lot, but I would say there is about just 15-30% more than the 24-70 . Yes, there is plenty of light fall off (vignetting) wide open, as far as I tested, all focal lengths. But for me this is desirable as I add to my photos anyways. I am still testing sharpness, but so far it looks just as good as the 24-70 in the center. Contrast, I am pleased to report that it has just as much "snap" and micro contrast as the 24-70. :thumb Bokeh, is a little busy wide open, but not enough to kill a good shot.
It does extend a bit, to about the same length as the 24-70 (both with hoods on). Even though the weight is about 700g vs 900g, it still feels like half the weight of the 24-70. I think the inner tubes are magnesium alloy while the outside is plastic. Both the zoom and AF ring are smoother than my 24-70, (but my 24-70 has seen many more days out in the field).
Autofocus was probably the biggest surprise, at first it seems a tad slower than the 24-70 going from minimum to infinity, but normal shooting it seemed a lot snappier. So I checked the focus throw, it is about twice as long as the 24-70! Did I mention that it seemed just a tad slower going from minimum to infinity? :barb:lust Twice the focus throw can only mean one other thing..... easier manual focusing! :ivarBUT before I get too excited, I ought to check for AF accuracy.

Some 24-70 fanboys will bash f/4 lenses to their grave for being soOooO slow :rolleyes. And they'll tell you, "If you need more reach, then get a 70-200 2.8). I assume, they have never gone on vacation with that set up, gone hiking, zip lining (try carrying both 24-70 and 70-200 then:rofl), needing to attract less attention to yourself and I can think of so many more things. Plus, if I need "fast glass", I have plenty of primes :deal.

I will post some photos later, when I get to go out and shoot some stuff early morning. Hopefully the weather will improve, it's raining a lot today :cry.

Comments

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2010
    Yes. Post some shots. I like the review so far~
    tom wise
  • Options
    rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2010
    This lens will always be a compromise for sure; I just hope it's sharper than the previous model which I think is a piece of garbage. Looking forward to seeing the pics and thanks for the writeup.
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2010
    http://www.evisionphotos.com/Photography/Lens-Tests/10-10-2010/14138836_gjSQp#1042757276_xCkLy

The last eight photos are from the Nikon 24-70.
    Looks like the 24-70 has a tough challenger. One needs to take a look at the photos and decide whether it will meet their needs and what suits them better.

The most obvious downsides of the 24-120 f/4 is the distortion, lens breathing (notice how much wider 70mm is vs 24-70 @ 70mm?), and softness at 120mm.

Test setup Q&A
    It was on autofocus
    I did my best to set the camera pointing as parallel as possible.
    I used a flash at 1/250th sec
    Used a remote to fire the shutter
    I used a sturdy tripod
    Yes, VR was turned off

Well I hope these samples help.

1042775790_RHdA7-L.jpg1042781800_FAWBJ-L.jpg1042792005_bmHJ9-L.jpg
  • Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2010
    Single carry around lenses remind me of this:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/28-300mm.htm

The Nikon 28-300. It looks pretty nifty and is supposed to be sharp across the board. The range is retardedly huge. lol.

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2010
    r3t1awr3yd wrote: »
    Single carry around lenses remind me of this:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/28-300mm.htm

The Nikon 28-300. It looks pretty nifty and is supposed to be sharp across the board. The range is retardedly huge. lol.

OT:
    Huh?
    Not to sound too harsh or anything.
    You know the reason I never go to KR's site? It's because everyone refers to him as , "Well Ken rockwell says..."
    Yes, it his opinion, but his shooting style is not even close to mine nor anyone I know. His photos are so "cooked" that they literally hurt my eyes.

I already have the Nikon 70-300 VR, and it is a great lens, so there really isn't a need to get the 28-300 vr. And the 24mm is a must for me.
  • Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2010
    insanefred wrote: »
    OT:
    Huh?
    Not to sound too harsh or anything.
    You know the reason I never go to KR's site? It's because everyone refers to him as , "Well Ken rockwell says..."
    Yes, it his opinion, but his shooting style is not even close to mine nor anyone I know. His photos are so "cooked" that they literally hurt my eyes.

I already have the Nikon 70-300 VR, and it is a great lens, so there really isn't a need to get the 28-300 vr. And the 24mm is a must for me.

I wasn't throwing KR out there cus he's the expert authority on anything (except maybe at asserting that it's not the camera, it's the photographer idea). I just like how his site is easy to reference for things like new lenses.

You made a reference to people who carry around two lenses and the ease of carrying one, I figured the 28-300 was exactly the type of thing you'd have looked at.

EDIT: What's the difference between 24 and 28 anyways? A step backwards? :)

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2010
    r3t1awr3yd wrote: »

EDIT: What's the difference between 24 and 28 anyways? A step backwards? :)

I used to think that it was the crazy people that thought it was a huge difference in real world shooting. Ok, not a huge difference, but big difference. So, I bought a 28-85mm lens, I used it for awhile. Let me tell you it's big enough, to make me want a 24mm in a zoom.deal.gif
    It's not only "perspective" difference but you know that moment when your back is already against the wall.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2010
    this lens is intriguing. I think I could leave the 24-70mm and the 70-200mm "at home" in non pro affairs.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2010
    I was thinking of the 28-300 or this 24-120 as being the perfect match with the new camera for fight photography. f4 would be great for that and the range would be a one camera lens affair. Has me questioning my judgment about if I really should have bought the 24-70. I had the 28-300 in my hands and went for the other one too. I guess there is always room in the closet for more glass.
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2010

Some 24-70 fanboys will bash f/4 lenses to their grave for being soOooO slow rolleyes1.gif. And they'll tell you, "If you need more reach, then get a 70-200 2.8). I assume, they have never gone on vacation with that set up, gone hiking, zip lining (try carrying both 24-70 and 70-200 thenrolleyes1.gif), needing to attract less attention to yourself and I can think of so many more things. Plus, if I need "fast glass", I have plenty of primes deal.gif.

Why start out a thread like this? Shooters have preferences for what lenses they like. You can just as easily say its a great lens, not as fast as a 2.8 zoom, but much more flexible than the 24-70. Let the fanboys argue with themselves.
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2010
    jonh68 wrote: »
    Why start out a thread like this? Shooters have preferences for what lenses they like. You can just as easily say its a great lens, not as fast as a 2.8 zoom, but much more flexible than the 24-70. Let the fanboys argue with themselves.

I have seen too many threads (other forums) that have become an endless argument, so I was hoping that would prevent that.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2010
    What will I do with my Lowepro Computrekker backpack if I don't have to schlep the 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, and the D300 for its "teleconverter" function? I can just carry the D700 with the 28-300 for "every day" shooting. I just lost 15 lbs!!! Crank up the ISO a bit and don't worry 'bout the f3.5-5.6.

I feel like I'm falling in love with a floozie! She may be cheap, but OH MY does she know how to please! mwink.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2010
    Well, I can say farewell to my 24-70, I sold it today. I am keeping the 24-120, I am getting too many keepers from this lens. iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    PhotometricPhotometric Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2010
    Well, I can say farewell to my 24-70, I sold it today. I am keeping the 24-120, I am getting too many keepers from this lens. iloveyou.gif

That's all that matters. I love my 24-70, but to each their own. I'm glad you're happy with your purchase...I tried it, but the distortion is not for my personal taste. I know it's correctable, but I don't like to play that much with my images afterward besides contrast, sat. and exposure settings.

Enjoy!
    http://www.djdimages.com/

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition."
    -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2010
    This lens is definitely the outdoor photographer's dream.

...AFTER Nikon makes an affordable full-frame body, that is! Until then, I'd much rather have a D7000 and a 16-85 DX. WAY lighter, smaller, cheaper, and wicked sharp. Until Nikon makes a 30+ megapixel FX body, the 24-120 is kinda lost on me. Of course for casual shooting I can understand it, in situations where resolution is less important but DOF and ISO ARE...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2010
    This lens is definitely the outdoor photographer's dream.

...AFTER Nikon makes an affordable full-frame body, that is! Until then, I'd much rather have a D7000 and a 16-85 DX. WAY lighter, smaller, cheaper, and wicked sharp. Until Nikon makes a 30+ megapixel FX body, the 24-120 is kinda lost on me. Of course for casual shooting I can understand it, in situations where resolution is less important but DOF and ISO ARE...

=Matt=

Yeah, f/4 is terrible indoors...
    rolleyes1.gif F7.1 1/3th sec (yeah yeah, but there is just a tad camera shake.)

1060281584_WxAem-L.jpg

And VR is useless...
    120mm 1/13th sec f/4
    1060283632_J83je-L.jpg

And it's just too slow for portraits, I'd never be able to get the backround out of focus.
    1/20th sec F/20
    1060290095_vgi2G-L.jpg

mwink.gif

I remember I was going to get the 16-85 for my D300, but I think what really put me off was that the AF was a little too slow. And they didn't have a D7000 at that time I bought the D700. ne_nau.gif
    I had my 24-70 on my D300 almost 24/7, but the D700, I felt like it was just sitting in the corner collecting dust. :cry

I don't believe my level of photography is good enough for the 24-70. And I do much better with primes anyways. I have accepted the comprises that the 24-120 f/4 has, and embraced the benefits that it has over the 24-70. I am already getting so many more keepers, it isn't funny for me.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2010
    Yeah, f/4 is terrible indoors...
    rolleyes1.gif F7.1 1/3th sec (yeah yeah, but there is just a tad camera shake.)

And VR is useless...
    120mm 1/13th sec f/4

And it's just too slow for portraits, I'd never be able to get the backround out of focus.
    1/20th sec F/20

mwink.gif

I remember I was going to get the 16-85 for my D300, but I think what really put me off was that the AF was a little too slow. And they didn't have a D7000 at that time I bought the D700. ne_nau.gif
    I had my 24-70 on my D300 almost 24/7, but the D700, I felt like it was just sitting in the corner collecting dust. :cry

I don't believe my level of photography is good enough for the 24-70. And I do much better with primes anyways. I have accepted the comprises that the 24-120 f/4 has, and embraced the benefits that it has over the 24-70. I am already getting so many more keepers, it isn't funny for me.

Your level of photography definitely merits ANY lens you want to buy, it just depends on your style and what you enjoy shooting. Personally as a casual shooter, regardless of whether my pictures were terrible or stunning, I'd MUCH rather have the 24-120 than the 24-70.

My point was only that, considering the D700 is the same 12 megapixels as the D300 and also considering that now we have the D7000, ...I'd personally prefer to use the D7000 as my walk-around kit, and just get a 50 1.8 or 1.4 for the D700 and only take it out when the low-light truly warranted the extra weight and size. But, I'm just one of those backpacker types who obsesses over every last oz. (Or in this case, I bet the difference is a whole pound or two!)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2010
    Benjamin, those are superb images. I don't care what lens you used to get them. And your "model" is a cutie too thumb.gif
    John :
  • Options
    InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    Agreed. Your photos really jump out. What sort of post do you do? They seem to really pop.
  • Options
    JaysJays Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited December 9, 2010
    Focus speed/accuracy Nikon 24-120 F4 VR

Autofocus was probably the biggest surprise, at first it seems a tad slower than the 24-70 going from minimum to infinity, but normal shooting it seemed a lot snappier. So I checked the focus throw, it is about twice as long as the 24-70! Did I mention that it seemed just a tad slower going from minimum to infinity? wings.giflust Twice the focus throw can only mean one other thing..... easier manual focusing! :ivarBUT before I get too excited, I ought to check for AF accuracy.

Hi insanefred, i am extremely curious about your further findings and more detailled experience with the AF speed and accuracy... have you had any chance to test this any further? The only thing that keeps me looking at the 24-70mm is that its focus speed and accuracy "should" (according to many reviews and users experience i have read) be better than than the 24-120 mm F4, but after reading your post i really feel a bit confused now... and you would do me a very big favour if you could complete your last words of the above quote .... :D any chance you have tested it on fast unpredictable moving subjects, like dogs for example??

thanks man
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2010
    Jays wrote: »
    Hi insanefred, i am extremely curious about your further findings and more detailled experience with the AF speed and accuracy... have you had any chance to test this any further? The only thing that keeps me looking at the 24-70mm is that its focus speed and accuracy "should" (according to many reviews and users experience i have read) be better than than the 24-120 mm F4, but after reading your post i really feel a bit confused now... and you would do me a very big favour if you could complete your last words of the above quote .... :D any chance you have tested it on fast unpredictable moving subjects, like dogs for example??

thanks man

I think some users say it's faster without considering the focus throw. From minimal focus distance to infinity, the 24-120 is about twice the throw but is just as fast, if not, faster. However, lets say I wanted to focus on something very close, then go focus on something at a distance. The 24-70 will make it to minimal distance to infinity faster because of the shorter throw. As for accuracy, because the 24-120 is a bit more snappy, it seems to respond faster, making it more liable to user error. But it is sure nice when photographing subjects moving towards you. The overall accuracy is perfectly good.
    Also, call it a hunch, but feel that many folks who write about the 24-120 f/4 have never used or touched it in their life. And only relaying what they have read or going on their experience base on the 24-120 3.5-5.6.
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2010
    I think some users say it's faster without considering the focus throw. From minimal focus distance to infinity, the 24-120 is about twice the throw but is just as fast, if not, faster. However, lets say I wanted to focus on something very close, then go focus on something at a distance. The 24-70 will make it to minimal distance to infinity faster because of the shorter throw. As for accuracy, because the 24-120 is a bit more snappy, it seems to respond faster, making it more liable to user error. But it is sure nice when photographing subjects moving towards you. The overall accuracy is perfectly good.
    Also, call it a hunch, but feel that many folks who write about the 24-120 f/4 have never used or touched it in their life. And only relaying what they have read or going on their experience base on the 24-120 3.5-5.6.

Hi my insane friend, thank you so much! you cannot believe how much i appreciate this onconventional feedback (since everyone in this electric world says differently), indeed AF accuracy is much more than just putting the lens cap on and see how fast it spins back and forth, therefore i'm very happy to read such great argumented experience, actually its about the same with my Sigma 50-150, from begin to the end its not blazing fast (it doesn't have to be), but in between small adjustments, its very "snappy".
    Although in some occasions it's still not snappy enough (especially when the subject is moving fast towards the camera in straight line, but then again, the AF of the camera (D300) also plays its roll i guess)

I will try out the 24-120 in the store and see if this is better... it would be the perfect lens for me... let's hope, i'll tell you later about this thumb.gif

thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2010
    FX lens on DX??
    Hi my insane friend, thank you so much! you cannot believe how much i appreciate this onconventional feedback (since everyone in this electric world says differently), indeed AF accuracy is much more than just putting the lens cap on and see how fast it spins back and forth, therefore i'm very happy to read such great argumented experience, actually its about the same with my Sigma 50-150, from begin to the end its not blazing fast (it doesn't have to be), but in between small adjustments, its very "snappy".
    Although in some occasions it's still not snappy enough (especially when the subject is moving fast towards the camera in straight line, but then again, the AF of the camera (D300) also plays its roll i guess)

I will try out the 24-120 in the store and see if this is better... it would be the perfect lens for me... let's hope, i'll tell you later about this thumb.gif

thanks!

hey hey hey

i just got this lens, i'm still traveling and i haven't tested it yet in the field very thoroughly but first impressions are quite good. Only i have one serious confusion:

the 24-120 mm F4 is an "FX" lens, so on my D300, on 120mm it should turn into 180mm right?? Now, when i take a picture on 150 mm with my Sigma 50-150mm "Dx" lens, the picture is still more zoomed in?! Did i miss something here?? The 24-120mm on 120mm (=180mm) still has more wide angle than the sigma on 150mm!!

sorry i cannot post any pictures here, still on the road...is this normal or did i miss something on the comprehensing of the cropfactor theory??headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2010
    when i take a picture on 150 mm with my Sigma 50-150mm "Dx" lens, the picture is still more zoomed in?! Did i miss something here?? The 24-120mm on 120mm (=180mm) still has more wide angle than the sigma on 150mm!!

is this normal or did i miss something on the comprehensing of the cropfactor theory??headscratch.gif

Well, it seems you're ignoring the fact that your 150 Sigma acts like a 225 on your crop body. FX-DX has nothing to do with the focal length.
    In 35mm FOV terms, your 24-120 acts like a 36-180. Your 50-150 acts like a 75-225.
    John :
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2010
    120mm is always 120mm. DX or FX.

It's field of view (or FoV) that you are having to recalculate. 120mm on DX (or APS-C) sensor will have about the equivelant FoV of a 180mm FX (Full Frame) sensor lens.
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2010
    I'd like to give some of a update about this lens.

I photographed a 2 day event this weekend, the first day was just pouring rain for 5-6 hours. It was enough to soak through my nicer rain jacket, my water resistant fleece and my t shirt. I had a plastic bag over my camera and lens, but you know how it is, lots of water still made it's way in on the lens and camera.
    It still works perfectly! iloveyou.gif
    Weather seals confirmed.

Of course I still recommend getting insurance on all your gear to truly protect it.
  • Options
    senorjaxsenorjax Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2010
    Interesting thread and photos, thanks. The PDX photos sure make me feel like home. As far as the lens goes, I'd like to try one out. I keep looking at your test photos though and I'm not really warming up to the bokeh. Imagine that you were asked to draw a circle but you couldn't use any curved lines, only straight ones. You'd probly have a brazillian short segments that would appear curved if you got back far enough. That's the feeling I get from this bokeh. I don't think it's necessarily that bad, but it doesn't make me say ooooooh.
    Jay
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2010
    senorjax wrote: »
    Interesting thread and photos, thanks. The PDX photos sure make me feel like home. As far as the lens goes, I'd like to try one out. I keep looking at your test photos though and I'm not really warming up to the bokeh. Imagine that you were asked to draw a circle but you couldn't use any curved lines, only straight ones. You'd probly have a brazillian short segments that would appear curved if you got back far enough. That's the feeling I get from this bokeh. I don't think it's necessarily that bad, but it doesn't make me say ooooooh.

If you want quality bokeh, you'll have to use primes.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,832 moderator
    edited December 16, 2010
    If you want quality bokeh, you'll have to use primes.

That's a most curious statement, and not entirely true.

Prime lenses alone do not guarantee "quality bokeh". Large aperture primes allow better background bokeh when the background is at a lesser distance, but slower aperture primes have no intrinsic advantage over large aperture zooms.

For example, the Canon 70-200mm, f2.8L USM (either with or without IS) can produce lovely bokeh backgrounds if the background is sufficient distance from the subject.

Even the Canon 24-105mm, f4L IS USM can create a quality bokeh as Andy demonstrated:

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1161613

Edit: Ah, I think I see what you were replying to. Yes, some lenses produce "busy" bokeh and it's true that many complicated zooms do have busier bokeh than some primes. Likewise, some prime lens formulas tend to produce a very smooth and creamy bokeh. In that regard I am very fond of the "Sonnar" designs. Tessar is not to bad either.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    That's a most curious statement, and not entirely true.

Prime lenses alone do not guarantee "quality bokeh". Large aperture primes allow better background bokeh when the background is at a lesser distance, but slower aperture primes have no intrinsic advantage over large aperture zooms.

For example, the Canon 70-200mm, f2.8L USM (either with or without IS) can produce lovely bokeh backgrounds if the background is sufficient distance from the subject.

Even the Canon 24-105mm, f4L IS USM can create a quality bokeh as Andy demonstrated:

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1161613

Edit: Ah, I think I see what you were replying to. Yes, some lenses produce "busy" bokeh and it's true that many complicated zooms do have busier bokeh than some primes. Likewise, some prime lens formulas tend to produce a very smooth and creamy bokeh. In that regard I am very fond of the "Sonnar" designs. Tessar is not to bad either.

Yeah, I wasn't saying that zooms can't produce quality bokeh. But primes generally produce better and creamier bokeh.
    Just as I said before, the 24-120mm f/4 can be somewhat busy, but not enough ruin a good photo. deal.gif