Options

Christmas already? 16-35L mk1 or 2, 24L or Elinchrom Rangers...

Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
edited December 23, 2010 in Cameras
I'm thinking about picking up a wide angle lens to offset my 135L and 50 1.4. Whats the major difference between version 1 and 2 of the 16-35L (besides the huge filter size of vs 2)? Is version 2 worth the extra cash?

Or, should I just stick to primes and get the 24L mki.

Or.. since I just sold all of my alien bee stuff (never use it cause its heavy), should I hold off and get the Elinchrom Ranger RX's that I've been wanting... I'd have to save up a bit more first to get it though.

Just thinking out loud, but the insight of others sometimes helps a lot.
Jer

Comments

• Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    I too would like to know... I would guess the 2 has better AF and/or IQ; and what about the older 17-35 2.8L?
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    16-35II. DO NOT bother with the I.. compared to the II it's horrible, especially when you are spending that kind of $$$$. LOVE my 16-35II. No going back.
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2010
    16-35II. DO NOT bother with the I.. compared to the II it's horrible, especially when you are spending that kind of $$$$. LOVE my 16-35II. No going back.

yes, but why is it better?
    Jer
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2010

ok, but WHY? AF? build quality?
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2010
    ok, but WHY? AF? build quality?

jinx
    Jer
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2010
    Image Quality. I vs II is just night and day. If you are are all concerned about IQ than don't bother with VI. It's ok, but, II is so much better in quality.

I'd show some images, but finding any right now would be a pain.. I'd shoot some but mine is in 2 pieces still waiting to go back to CPS for fixing (knocked over my tripod with it on camera.. Oops)
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2010
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2010
    Would you say $1250 for a used copy is a good deal for mkii? I don't even know what it is new or what the used market price is, i have just seen a bunch going for that.
    Jer
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2010
    Would you say $1250 for a used copy is a good deal for mkii? I don't even know what it is new or what the used market price is, i have just seen a bunch going for that.

Pretty sure I paid around $1500 for mine, so that is a decent price I'd say for used....

FYI, the I holds it's own on the longer side (30-35mm), but I didn't buy that lens for the long end, I bought it for the 16-20 range more than anything since I if I need longer I'll toss my 24-70 on. That said, I eventually want a 14 as well, can't have too many toys.. and that 14 is very nice.

ETA-

New it's $1420 after instant savings.
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2010
    I have decided to not buy anything at this time. It's much smarter for me to use it for marketing or just save it. Investing it into marketing will bring in more clients = more money and long term revenue. Saving it brings me closer to getting a retail location.

*closes fredmiranda buy/sell forum search tabs for 16-35L, 24L, and Elinchrom keywords*
    Jer