Some random shots from this year

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited December 30, 2010 in Landscapes
A collection of shots taken this year (some from this month, some from as early as February) that I haven't posted on dgrin yet, might as well get them out of the way to clean the slate for next year!

Only one of these shots is from a sunset/sunrise, the rest are all at dawn, the afternoon, or at night.

#1: Light Pollution on Mt. Rainier (this was a 10 minute exposure a few hours before dawn, it was very dark I could just barely see the outline of the mountain, it took a few high ISO shots to get the right comp and focus)

1087798195_wbVfx-L.jpg

#2: Pastel sunset on Ruby Beach

1114945506_SSjNE-L.jpg

#3: Winter Dawn at Crater Lake

801289561_jJHRR-L.jpg

#4: Winter Afternoon at Crater Lake

1004016344_jDbxv-L.jpg

#5: Dawn in Seattle (from Alki Beach in West Seattle)

1107306008_u8gGN-L.jpg

#6: Milky Way and a Shooting Star from Mt. Rainier

946897728_2jroY-L.jpg

#7: Americana (the only thing missing from this scene is John Wayne!)

923325579_ZgJGE-L.jpg

#8: Winter at Mammoth Terraces, Yellowstone

819650649_ZUryc-L.jpg

#9: Winter Afternoon at the Tetons

819639977_5Ei3t-L.jpg

Comments

• squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    great stuff, Ron... love that long exposure shot of Rainier, and the one of Seattle looks like the whole city is on fire!
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    Really nice series Ron, I'm really liking both of your images from Crater Lake, beautiful shots.
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    Nice stuff Ron
    Agree on the Crater Lake shots.
    I like Americana a bit more as I move it up the browser and crop it to a bit more of a pano (that one extra cloud up there bugs me a bit - but I'm likely to be in the minority here ne_nau.gif)
    E
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,336 moderator
    edited December 28, 2010
    Very nice. I think my favorite is the afternoon shot at Crater Lake, but they are all beautiful.

--- Denise
  • Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    Loving every single image but i'm a sucker for #7.
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    A beautiful set all around. I'll take #1 and #4 as my favs!
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    Great set, Ron, as usual. Love the Crater Lake shots.
  • dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    Wow. Great set. Faves are Mt. Rainier and Crater Lake shots. And is that bright light in the clouds the sun, or the top of the Columbia Tower?
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    That first image of the light pollution could easily be mistaken for sunrise...... if you dont know your orientation!
    I really like the comp and the light on that.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    Nice way to do a final purge, Ron!

Looking forward to your first shots of 2011... from faraway lands thumb.gif
  • tmelotmelo Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    All are great shots. I like 1,4 and 8 the best.
  • bnickesonbnickeson Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    Love the pastels in #3! The Milky way is a stunner as well. Just fantastic shots.
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    squirl033 wrote: »
    great stuff, Ron... love that long exposure shot of Rainier, and the one of Seattle looks like the whole city is on fire!

Thanks! Fortunately it's just on fire with pre-dawn light pollution, much like that Rainier shot :) Fortunately there weren't 8 million boats in the foreground like there is sometimes.
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    Really nice series Ron, I'm really liking both of your images from Crater Lake, beautiful shots.

Thanks Doug! That was one of my favorite trips last year, it was really short, afternoon-sunrise and a freezing night sleeping in the car, but worth it as the conditions were wonderful. Snowshoes got a little workout too!
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Nice stuff Ron
    Agree on the Crater Lake shots.
    I like Americana a bit more as I move it up the browser and crop it to a bit more of a pano (that one extra cloud up there bugs me a bit - but I'm likely to be in the minority here ne_nau.gif)
    E

I definitely agree that a pano crop would work here, would I would like even more is if I panned the shot slightly to the right and cut out some of that dead space on the left of the first horse (I could do a pano crop on that too - best of both worlds). I'll have to see if I have another shot with that composition, it's possible I couldn't do it because there was something distracting on the right but I don't remember anymore :)
    Very nice. I think my favorite is the afternoon shot at Crater Lake, but they are all beautiful.

--- Denise

Thanks Denise! That was my first view of Crater Lake in 20 years (I was 10 the first time I was there) - definitely worth the wait.
    Sexy6Chick wrote: »
    Loving every single image but i'm a sucker for #7.

Thanks, I was pretty excited when I saw the horses lined up like that.
    billseye wrote: »
    A beautiful set all around. I'll take #1 and #4 as my favs!

Thanks!
    hawkeye978 wrote: »
    Great set, Ron, as usual. Love the Crater Lake shots.

Thanks - hopefully I'll be able to visit Crater Lake before winter is out this year. It's really a unique setting and looks amazing in person with all that snow. Just a little chilly and the drive has the potential to be interesting :)
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    dls wrote: »
    Wow. Great set. Faves are Mt. Rainier and Crater Lake shots. And is that bright light in the clouds the sun, or the top of the Columbia Tower?

Thanks - that's the top of the Columbia Tower :)
    That first image of the light pollution could easily be mistaken for sunrise...... if you dont know your orientation!
    I really like the comp and the light on that.

Thanks Marc! I have a three minute exposure taken a few minutes later (ISO 500 f/4, still really dark) and there's clearly pink glow on the mountain, just like at sunrise. I've seen that there before too (pink glow well before dawn that disappears at dawn, and then reappears at sunrise). Not sure what's going on. But I'm not complaining :)
    schmoo wrote: »
    Nice way to do a final purge, Ron!

Looking forward to your first shots of 2011... from faraway lands thumb.gif

Final purge sounds disgusting and yet oddly appropriate at the same time :) I'm in Zion right now surrounded by snow and sandstone, so I'm not quite ready to say goodbye to 2010 just yet (I can't say the same for my camera!)
    tmelo wrote: »
    All are great shots. I like 1,4 and 8 the best.

Thanks!
    bnickeson wrote: »
    Love the pastels in #3! The Milky way is a stunner as well. Just fantastic shots.

Hopefully someday in the future camera sensors will be good enough so that Milky Way shots will be a lot easier with a lot less noise. It's always cool seeing it in person though.
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    I love #5, the long exposure, the water just looks perfect and the clouds look really good. Are these blended exposures?
  • PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    All just beautiful, and the way you took #1 is most interesting! What a great year you had!