Options

Day at the snow

jimqjrjimqjr Registered Users Posts: 250 Major grins
edited January 13, 2011 in People
Just wondering the thoughts of the people who make great photographs what would you do to make this photo better? I took it extremely hot because it took out the background which I think looks great. It was a huge storm so the falling snow is like grain in the photo. I know I should have probably used a flash but I didn't bring one. I just take the photos and try to learn how to make them better. I did increase the saturation on the blue to make the jeans stand out and reduced the noise a little.
Thanks for your thoughts.
1140508872_Qc7gv-X2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 29, 2010
    I love it with only one nit to pick. I would have had less white space at the top and not cut off her foot at the bottom.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    I like it. Fun shot.
    Try cropping it just above the lower section of the snowman and just above her head, just a smidge from the left and a bit from the right, still leaving her just to the left of center.....since you asked.
  • Options
    dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    I agree on less at the top and not cutting off her foot at the bottom. I hope you don't mind but here is a quick edit I did. In PS I duplicated the layers the on the top layer I adjusted the brightness-contrast until I recover as much as the background I could. Then On the bottom layer I selected the girl and snow man and inverted the selection then click the top lay and added a mask to let the girl and snowman show through. I would normal clean up the mask but like I said this was a quick edit less than 10 min.

new1140508872_Qc7gv-X2.jpg
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • Options
    Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2010
    captain78 wrote: »
    I love it with only one nit to pick. I would have had less white space at the top and not cut off her foot at the bottom.

Thanks,
    So I cut off the top...the foot well it was burried in the snow. The photo was over exposed of course to have the white background do you think it is incorrect to do that? I was going to toss the photo though I had 32 likes on facebook on that picture so I kept it. Which is why I posted it to see what the pros would think and how I could make it better.
    Some opinions are good some well?
    1140508872_Qc7gv-X3-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2010
    dbveto wrote: »
    I agree on less at the top and not cutting off her foot at the bottom. I hope you don't mind but here is a quick edit I did. In PS I duplicated the layers the on the top layer I adjusted the brightness-contrast until I recover as much as the background I could. Then On the bottom layer I selected the girl and snow man and inverted the selection then click the top lay and added a mask to let the girl and snowman show through. I would normal clean up the mask but like I said this was a quick edit less than 10 min.

Thanks for your comments and adjustments though I am not sure that the background adds to the photo of course my personal taste.
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2010
    zoomer wrote: »
    I like it. Fun shot.
    Try cropping it just above the lower section of the snowman and just above her head, just a smidge from the left and a bit from the right, still leaving her just to the left of center.....since you asked.

Thanks for the comment...
    I tried that not sure that I liked the photo as well.
    Wish I wouldn't have chopped the foot though I am not sure it mattered being it was burried in the snow.
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2010
    The best way to fix a clip is to crop more and act like you meant to do that.
    The photo here is her working the attitude about her snowman.....her foot does not matter. Crop it halfway up her boot, or just above her boot....yeah there is some motion blur, which kinda works in this photo.
    Of course the background has to go, it is snow and no detail works. You need a bright exposure to bring out the detail in her face which is where the story is in this photo.

It is a cool shot (no pun intended) :).
  • Options
    dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    Hey don't get me wrong I liked the shot I guess reading the first post I thought he wanted to get the background back and I agree with the background it is not better just different. For me personally I would have just reduced the white space at the top.

I know how tough snow shot can be and you did a great job.
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    Nice shot for this type of thing.
    I would have not done more than a crop though since it is what it is, the background is not important to the subject in my opinion.
    Nicely exposed as well.....
    It's not easy shooting in snow.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    Exposure time is at 1/160...try something like 1/400.
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2010
    The best way to fix a clip is to crop more and act like you meant to do that.
    The photo here is her working the attitude about her snowman.....her foot does not matter. Crop it halfway up her boot, or just above her boot....yeah there is some motion blur, which kinda works in this photo.
    Of course the background has to go, it is snow and no detail works. You need a bright exposure to bring out the detail in her face which is where the story is in this photo.

It is a cool shot (no pun intended) :).

I Checked out your site...your pictures are incredible! Someday maybe.
    The picture is of my daughter she does not sit around for me to take her photo even though she really seems to enjoy it. I get 3 or 4 minutes and then she has had enough.
    Attached is the crop...one question I have, if I just crop to make the photo better then I loose normal/standard size printing abilities or frame sizes? So I always try to crop using the constraints of the photo is this correct or no? Thanks for all your input.
    1140508872_Qc7gv-X2-2.jpg

Here is another picture
    1140509098_5BVoe-X2-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2010
    Seneca wrote: »
    Exposure time is at 1/160...try something like 1/400.
    Yea I really needed to be shooting at a faster speed though with no flash it was pretty dark wind was really blowing and the snow was dumping. For some reason I don't like to run to high an ISO unless I am shooting sports and then I run up to 6400. Call it inexperience?
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2010
    I like the crop....I would shift it left...crop to just past the brance that comes off the brance and add that much back to the left side and you are there. (crop it from the bottom not from the left)
    Or you could just leave it this version looks pretty good....just a little tight on the left side is all.

For me I Never worry about the crop ratio, Ever. I just crop them to what my eye likes. Now if you Know you are going to print it that is different of course.
    99 percent of photos never get printed...they are only viewed on the computer so the crop ratio means nothing.

Thanks for having a look at my site, appreciate it :).
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    I won't make any more comments that duplicate what's already been said. It's a very nice image. I'll just add that unless you are looking for a particular result, NEVER use flash in a snowstorm. Next time it snows, go out and pop a flash. You'll see what I mean. Just brilliant confetti.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2010
    Icebear wrote: »
    I won't make any more comments that duplicate what's already been said. It's a very nice image. I'll just add that unless you are looking for a particular result, NEVER use flash in a snowstorm. Next time it snows, go out and pop a flash. You'll see what I mean. Just brilliant confetti.

Thanks,
    Never knew that about a flash and the snow. Glad there was no flash on my camera.
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2010
    1142958220_8umn3-X2.jpg

1140509547_2p6rH-XL-1.jpg
    Rupert says, "See Ya Later".
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2011
    There it is, that last version is the crop I was suggesting. Very nice, bet she loves that shot.
  • Options
    zhousuzhousu Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited January 2, 2011
    thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2011
    I think that is one heck of a fun shot. I like the new crop. Don't shoot for F I I P......fix it in photoshop! Try to get it right the first time!
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2011
    Thanks for your help. Hope you have a Bless New Year!
    There it is, that last version is the crop I was suggesting. Very nice, bet she loves that shot.

Thank you for your help with the Crop.
    She loves the picture it is her face book profile.

I like the white out back ground makes the picture about the attitude. I just wish she would give me more time or opportunites to get a picture? She is a Senior this year and my wife is taking her to get her pictures done. Sweetne_nau.gif.

Do you have any suggestions for Senior Portraits or ways to learn that area? Your stuff is truly amazing and a start in the right direction would be welcomed. I have all the good equipment camera and fast lenses as well as a 580exII and an older 430 flash though honestly they do not find themselves on the camera much.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2011
    White Out.
    jimqjr wrote: »
    1142958220_8umn3-X2.jpg

1140509547_2p6rH-XL-1.jpg
    Rupert says, "See Ya Later".
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2011
    Jim,
    Really just look at a lot of senior pics. Find the best photographer you can whose work you like (not in your local market) and try to copy their work. As you gain experience and confidence your own style will naturally develop.
    Watch your backgrounds, use short depth of field, get your flash off your camera....remember to have fun.....practice and shoot a lot.
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2011
    Icebear wrote: »
    NEVER use flash in a snowstorm.

Have to disagree.... I use my flash while it is snowing quite regularly. Though, my flash is always off camera so the light doesn't only catch the snow right in front of you. thumb.gif
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2011
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2011
    Have to disagree.... I use my flash while it is snowing quite regularly. Though, my flash is always off camera so the light doesn't only catch the snow right in front of you. thumb.gif

Yeah but you have no choice, it is always snowing where you live mwink.gif.
    Just kidding of course.

I imagine the degree of problem you would have could be depending upon angle (as heather mentioned) intensity and proximity.
    Have seen some very cool photo taken incorporating rain/snow and flash...you definitely need to know what you are doing though.
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2011
    jeffreaux2 wrote: »
    Senior Portraits....???

start here....

http://jkmann.smugmug.com/gallery/6057673_NvijZ
    thumb.gif

Hey Jeff, Thanks.
    I havent been on dgrin for awhile busy with other stuff.
    I just started reading from your link.
    Your stuff is fantastic. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    konomaniackonomaniac Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2011
    I really like the other two photos you posted - the one with your daughter leaning on the snowman's head is my favorite - it's got a nice casual feel to it.
    --- Kono ---
    Pentax K-x and assorted lenses
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2011
    konomaniac wrote: »
    I really like the other two photos you posted - the one with your daughter leaning on the snowman's head is my favorite - it's got a nice casual feel to it.

Thanks