Options

New 7D, RAW Issues

JSPhotographyJSPhotography Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
edited January 1, 2011 in Finishing School
OK, need some help here. Got my new 7D today, yippee. Took some shots og a couple grand kids. Tried to import into my Elements 7 and it will not accept the raw images!! I can bring in a jpg. I have tried changing the file names in case that was the problem(duplicate). I also grabbed another card, formatted and tried a couple tests. Same result, raw no, jpg yes. What am I missing here?

Comments

• Options
    edited January 1, 2011
    No way, 45 views and nobody has any advice?
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2011

Try this.
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2011
    It sounds like Elements 7 doesn't support raw format that the 7D uses. The current version of Elements is, I think, 9. Typically Adobe doesn't add support for new cameras when to older versions of their software.

You can convert your 7D raw files to DNG format (I'm pretty sure Elements 7 supports that) with the free DNG conversion tool you can download from the Adobe site. Or you can upgrade to the current version of elements which almost certainly does support 7D raw files. You can download the trial version for free and try it out to confirm.

The 7D came with software, DPP, that will read the raw files and make jpgs out of them too.
    OK, need some help here. Got my new 7D today, yippee. Took some shots og a couple grand kids. Tried to import into my Elements 7 and it will not accept the raw images!! I can bring in a jpg. I have tried changing the file names in case that was the problem(duplicate). I also grabbed another card, formatted and tried a couple tests. Same result, raw no, jpg yes. What am I missing here?
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2011
    I wondered about having to make an update. There are different raw files? I had no problem with raw files from my 40d or Xti. When my Elements 7 checks for updates it says I am all up to date.
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2011
    The raw files for each camera model are different. The format of the file itself might not change, but the way the software has to interpret the information in the file does.

Adobe doesn't add support for new cameras to older versions of their software products and I pretty sure the 7D came out after Elements 7 had been replaced by 8 or 9.

So I think you will have to update to Elements 9 to get support for your 7D. You can download the trial for Elements 9 to confirm that it works for you though.

I wondered about having to make an update. There are different raw files? I had no problem with raw files from my 40d or Xti. When my Elements 7 checks for updates it says I am all up to date.
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2011
    I had the same problem with CS3.
    I have a 5DMKII, a 7D, and a G10. CS3 couldn't read any of the RAW files created with these cameras.

So, you can update your software, or I believe Adobe has other software that will convert your RAW file to a DNG file.
    Then I think you can bring it into your software.

I've never done that extra step so hopefully someone else will chime in.
    Your best option is to update PSE.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2011
    All fixed!!!! Updated to the latest file format plug in and we are good to go. Pretty scary modifying software that currently handles about 40,000 images. It actually went fairly smooth. Seems odd to me that I had to physicaly download the new files vs the auto updater doing it for me.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited January 1, 2011

The number of views isn't necessarily a good indicator of who has seen your post. The various search engines that crawl the site count as "views" too.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2011

Also, the forum has about 55,000 registered users. Compared to that, 45 users is nuthin, so if the few people who viewed it don't know how to solve the problem, they're not going to speak up...
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited January 1, 2011
    And add to that, it could be 43 of those 45 "views" were crawled by Google or other search bots. One has no way of knowing how many Dgrinners viewed this thread.

And I was going to suggest using Canon's free DPP and then export 16-bit TIFF's over to Elements - any version of Elements or other non-up-to-date photo editing software. Glad you came to a solution.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky