Options

Any good books for a technical foundation in photography?

deadcactusdeadcactus Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited January 12, 2011 in Technique
Are there any good textbooks or such that cover photography?

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited January 11, 2011
    The Time-Life "Library of Photography" is an ~20 volume set of books about every phase of film photography, the general basics of exposure, lenses etc not really changing in the digital age.

John Hedgecoe's "The Photographer's Handbook" is still relevant.

Tom Ang's "Digital Photographer's Handbook" is quite informative, as is his "Digital Photography Master Class"

"The Joy of Photography" by the Editors of Eastman Kodak Company ( copyright 1979) is still a good background on film based photography even today. It even has a selection of images from Ernst Haas and Gordon Parks that are still excellent today. I am sure you can find used copies from online used bookstores pretty cheap.

I really like "The Photograph - Composition and Color Design" by Harold Mante, published by Rockynook also.

I am sure our readers will list many more as well. One of the difficulties about digital photography is that the field is growing and changing so rapidly that many books solely about equipment and software are outdated in just a couple years. The older books about optics, camera usage, and exposure are still relevant information.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2011
    I love this one...

http://www.amazon.com/Total-Digital-Photography-Workflow-Handbook/dp/076456952X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1294801061&sr=8-2

Serge Timacheff is an Olympic fencing photographer, and he does a bunch of other stuff too. He's a REALLY good author... he and Mr. Karlins wrote another book too, about sports photography...

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Sports-Photography-Winning-Shots/dp/0764596071/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1294801305&sr=8-7

I really like these books. I have the sports one and I've read the "total" one... I've found them both at my library, maybe yours has them...
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,933 moderator
    edited January 12, 2011
    Ansel Adams' books (The Camera, The Negative and The Print) don't address digital technology but are still worth looking at, IMO.