Options

I am going to scream~! Wrong format???

melissa6631melissa6631 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
edited August 25, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I'm trying to upload photos to my smugmug account and for the last hour it keeps telling me they are in the wrong format. I've checked and they are ALL jpeg format and i'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. When it finally shows that they ARE there it just says processing images... what could i be possibly doing wrong?

Are any o fyou having this issue? thanks in advance.
Missy Ü

Comments

• Options
    KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2005
    I'm trying to upload photos to my smugmug account and for the last hour it keeps telling me they are in the wrong format. I've checked and they are ALL jpeg format and i'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. When it finally shows that they ARE there it just says processing images... what could i be possibly doing wrong?

I was just getting ready to post basically the same message.

Yes, I'm having the same problem.

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
  • Options
    melissa6631melissa6631 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2005
    Oh good! I was really worried that perhaps i'm computer stupid. Laughing.gif I'll have to use my pbase for now.. *sigh*
    Missy Ü
  • Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2005
    i cant upload either right now..... sigh
    :cry

troy

Oh good! I was really worried that perhaps i'm computer stupid. Laughing.gif I'll have to use my pbase for now.. *sigh*
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2005

Smugmug upload totally crapped out on me too. Nothing, not the beta uploader, not the basic basic basic uploader... Just sit tight and wait I guess!

-Matt-

PS did anybody write help@smugmug about this? I'm sure that being the keen business owners that they are, the problem is already halfway fixed, but just to make sure, you know. Someone gonna write them?
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2005
    Smugmug upload totally crapped out on me too. Nothing, not the beta uploader, not the basic basic basic uploader... Just sit tight and wait I guess!

-Matt-

PS did anybody write help@smugmug about this?

nod.gif and they are on it.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2005
    andy wrote:
    nod.gif and they are on it.
    Awesome. Is it just a 10 minute deal or is it something big? Thanks,

-Matt-
  • Options
    JWYJWY Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited August 24, 2005
    Upload problems
    Hello,

Ouch, sorry for the upload problems. We are working to fix and resolve the problem. Thank you for your patience. As soon as I have more information on what is causing the problems, I will let you all know.

John
    smugmug support
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2005
    Awesome. Is it just a 10 minute deal or is it something big? Thanks,

-Matt-

betcha it's fixed fast. i just loaded up a pic, it's there on my site, but "processing" so i'm sure the db is just catching up....
  • Options
    JWYJWY Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited August 24, 2005
    Upload is fixed!
    Looks like the problem is fixed. Anyone who tried to uploaded during the hiccup will likely have to re-upload. Sorry for the temporary interuption of service.

John
    smugmug support
  • Options
    GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2005
    andy wrote:
    betcha it's fixed fast. i just loaded up a pic, it's there on my site, but "processing" so i'm sure the db is just catching up....
    I uploaded 4 pics in 3 galleries an hour ago and it just said "processing image" for about an hour I think *went to mow the yard in between*. Then it finally just removed the new pictures from the galleries.

I uploaded the 4 again and 2 worked, and 2 says thier the wrong file type or something like that.

Then I tried to upload a file a couple more times and it still says wrong file type.

Thought I would share my experience. :0)

And while im posting, I noticed the new layout says something about copyright 2005 corbis, if you want to use the picture for bla bla bla,contact corbis, etc. Whats up with that? :0)
  • Options
    KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2005
    JWY wrote:
    Looks like the problem is fixed. Anyone who tried to uploaded during the hiccup will likely have to re-upload. Sorry for the temporary interuption of service.

John
    smugmug support
    I'm still experiencing a problem. I tried uploading 1 photo. The uploader indicated success. I went to the gallery where I found the "Processing Image" icon. I waited a bit, but the icon disappeared.

I tried uploading again - this time 3 files. (Beta uploader, BTW). I was successful in getting one of the 3 files into the gallery; don't know where the other two ended up.

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2005
    GerryDavid wrote:
    And while im posting, I noticed the new layout says something about copyright 2005 corbis, if you want to use the picture for bla bla bla,contact corbis, etc. Whats up with that? :0)

headscratch.gif where do you see that gerry? i just looked at your site and can't find any such reference...
  • Options
    mbradymbrady Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2005
    JWY wrote:
    Seems a little funky still. I just uploaded 7 pics and it didn't report any errors (with the standard IE uploader), but when I go to the gallery, there are only 3 images there.

I'll try again in a few minutes, I'm assuming it'll be cleared up shortly.
  • Options
    GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2005
    andy wrote:
    headscratch.gif where do you see that gerry? i just looked at your site and can't find any such reference...
    Thats a really good question. :0) It was there on some pictures a couple of days ago, but I cant find it now. It was in the caption area of some pictures I believe. Pretty sure it was in the flower gallery or black and white gallery, but I cant remember which picture had it. Perhaps it was a glitch that has been corrected.
  • Options
    sarahpryesarahprye Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 24, 2005
    Anyone still having problems uploading
    mbrady wrote:
    Seems a little funky still. I just uploaded 7 pics and it didn't report any errors (with the standard IE uploader), but when I go to the gallery, there are only 3 images there.

I'll try again in a few minutes, I'm assuming it'll be cleared up shortly.
    Hi, is anyone still having issues uploading images into galleries? I've been trying for the last few hours and it only shows the "Processing Image" graphic or it removes it completely. Help anyone? :-)
  • Options
    BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 24, 2005
    sarahprye wrote:
    Hi, is anyone still having issues uploading images into galleries? I've been trying for the last few hours and it only shows the "Processing Image" graphic or it removes it completely. Help anyone? :-)
    Can anyone still having problems try deleting temp files/rebooting? Let me know if that fixes it!
    Smug since 2003
  • Options
    sarahpryesarahprye Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 24, 2005
    Ben wrote:
    Can anyone still having problems try deleting temp files/rebooting? Let me know if that fixes it!
    I'll try that soon, but just to let you know, I did try uploading from two different computers and both had the same results. But I'll post if it works after I do what you said. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2005
    Ben wrote:

i just uploaded a bunch of shots, no problem. used the mac uploader.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2005
    I just uploaded some pics with no problems.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2005
    Yeah, working fine for me again now too (and without clearing the cache, temp files, or rebooting).
    So who's in trouble for tripping over the power cord for the upload server? mwink.gif

Matt
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited August 25, 2005
    mbrady wrote:
    So who's in trouble for tripping over the power cord for the upload server? mwink.gif
    Houston, we have a problem... :cry

So it's like this... You know that spiffy full-screen slide show feature? When it was in the pull-down menu up top not many people did. When we added the button in the new gallery design, a lot of people did.

Turns out people like that feature. A lot more than we anticipated. What makes it so great is it senses your monitor size and makes photos sans jaggies for your monitor. Which is work for the image processing servers, which also do the image processing for uploads....

Erem, we're ordering more image processing servers now that full screen slideshows are the new hotness.
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2005
    Baldy wrote:

So it's like this... You know that spiffy full-screen slide show feature? When it was in the pull-down menu up top not many people did. When we added the button in the new gallery design, a lot of people did.

Turns out people like that feature. A lot more than we anticipated. What makes it so great is it senses your monitor size and makes photos sans jaggies for your monitor. Which is work for the image processing servers, which also do the image processing for uploads....

Erem, we're ordering more image processing servers now that full screen slideshows are the new hotness.
    Sans jaggies? I'm pretty sure I was getting major jaggies when I disable Larges... Yep, just double checked. The slideshow works awesome when Larges are enabled, but with Larges disabled, everything goes south. For now I suppose Larges are in order...

-Matt-
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    Disabled larges = jaggies in slideshows
    Sans jaggies? I'm pretty sure I was getting major jaggies when I disable Larges... Yep, just double checked. The slideshow works awesome when Larges are enabled, but with Larges disabled, everything goes south. For now I suppose Larges are in order...

-Matt-
    The behavior you've observed makes sense to me. Slideshows shouldn't be able to use larges if they are disabled (thus you will get upscaled images and jaggies in the slideshow if you disable larges). You disable larges because you don't want anyone to be able to download a large image, so if slideshows were allowed to use larges when disabled, anyone could bypass the disabled larges and just get them from the slideshow. So, slideshows can't be allowed to use larges if you disable larges. If they did, the whole disable large feature would be pointless.

--John
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2005
    Baldy wrote:

It's a mixed blessing I guess!

This brings to light something I've encountered a bit talking with relatives looking at my photos - they don't touch the Style dropdown or even know what it is for. Generally speaking, that's not a huge problem, since the default smugmug style is excellent, but perhaps an option to be able to change the label to something more description for that would be nice? I don't think that's possible with the new CSS mods. That's not real high on my wish list, but I think that with the slideshow option being used extensively now shows that it's not just my relatives who never touched the style dropdown before.

Matt