Options

Insurance necessary?

OrpeanutOrpeanut Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
edited January 25, 2011 in Sports
I just purchased a 50mm 1.4 mainly for basketball in poorly lit gyms. When I use it I've been baseline a couple feet past the key. There is potential for getting landed on by players. Should I have some kind of liability insurance beyond my homeowners insurance in case one of the players would get hurt?

Thanks Leon

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2011
    everyone needs insurance................................. you need equipment insurance , personal injury insurance and liability insurance (a minimum of $1m for liability).....may seem like a waste but it only takes 1 incident to completely ruin you professionally and personally.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    digger2digger2 Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited January 13, 2011
    Yes
    Get an umbrella policy. its pretty cheap. I have $4m for $275.00
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2011
    Thanks guys I'm signing up for insurance today
  • Options
    xxxoverridexxxxxxoverridexxx Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited January 14, 2011
    yea im always for insurance too. I mean yea it might be a hassle at the beginning but youll feel good about it next paycheck
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2011
    Be careful in thinking a home insurance umbrella policy will cover you if you start to charge or put the pictures up for sale on a website. Once you do that and your insurance company finds out, you could be found guilty of insurance fraud.
  • Options
    six2onesix2one Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited January 21, 2011
    how do you guys have insurance set up? like specifically what do ask for? i have state farm for renters and motorcycle insurance...do i just tell them whats up and let them help me find what i need?

im happy i found this thread, since i am going to try to sell some photos of an event coming up. i have about 5k in equipment at this time and i would LOVE to get insured against damage.
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2011
    six2one wrote: »
    how do you guys have insurance set up? like specifically what do ask for? i have state farm for renters and motorcycle insurance...do i just tell them whats up and let them help me find what i need?

im happy i found this thread, since i am going to try to sell some photos of an event coming up. i have about 5k in equipment at this time and i would LOVE to get insured against damage.

I signed up with State Farm. They provide $1,000,000 liability for $225 and equipment insurance for $18 per $1000 coverage.
  • Options
    six2onesix2one Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited January 21, 2011
    Orpeanut wrote: »
    I signed up with State Farm. They provide $1,000,000 liability for $225 and equipment insurance for $18 per $1000 coverage.

im assuming/hoping thats annual?

also, sorry to OP for the partial threadjack.
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2011
    Same here, I have State Farm and pay about $15/mo for $20k worth of equipment.
  • Options
    MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2011
    A few months back I called up my agent. Told him I sell on the side - he told me that until the income was significant enough to be material (30% of my total income or something like that), then it didn't matter. I purchased a $5000 schedule for $42 a year. Gives me zero deductible and covers accidental breakage in case I drop my lens on a rock or whatever.

Yes, you need insurance.
  • Options
    nw scoutnw scout Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2011
    Ill jump in as I sadly have quite a bit of experience in the matter.

After shooting mostly motorsports professionally for the last 15 years, the odds finally caught up to me last year.
    Standing on the inside of a corner in what should have been a very safe spot, I got hit from behind by an out of controll rider. Blew my hip through my pelvis and tore my 1D mark 2 in half. Resulted in 2 weeks in the hospital and 4 months in a wheel chair.
    717238656_bce7z-L-1.jpg

I have always had insurance and its a dam good thing.
    My personal health insurance picked up the hospital bills ($175,000) and my business insurance covered my camera gear ($7,800)

On the ad shoot I did today I had to list the property owner as a secondary insured. A must if you shoot location work for ad clients. That is also through the business insurance.

If you dont have it, get it. NOW!!!
  • Options
    David EvertsenDavid Evertsen Registered Users Posts: 524 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    Thank you!!
    Thanks for this thread! I got with my State Farm agent and have inventoried my stuff and pay 2.40 per 100 bucks of equipment. Got my laptop all my gear, cards, light meter insured for 18 bucks a month. I should have done this a while back. I emailed back and forth explained my situation and my agent got me hooked up, I am not getting rich but getting better and having fun. Now I can rest easy with a 100 dollar deductible that my stuff is squared away. There will be a ton of folks that will read this thread and say wow I can replace it not big deal. After adding up 2 bodies, 2.8 lenses light meters, cards, extenders, cables, batteries, grips, I have $9000 dollars worth of gear. Don't get caught without insurance..