Options

San Francisco - Point me in the right direction

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited January 31, 2011 in Location, Location, Location!
OK... so the first week of February, my wife is heading up to San Fran for work. I decided to tag along to do some photography during the day while she is working. We will be staying at the Marriott Marquis which is on Fourth Street. I Googled it and it looks pretty central... I can see quite a few places close by that look interesting to shoot. I've been to SF quite a few times but I don't know my way around to well.

What's close by that I can either walk or take public transport to that you feel is a must to shoot?

I will be on my own Weds - Fri from the crack of dawn till about 6PM. Also, anybody want to go shooting?
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2011
    OK... so the first week of February, my wife is heading up to San Fran for work. I decided to tag along to do some photography during the day while she is working. We will be staying at the Marriott Marquis which is on Fourth Street. I Googled it and it looks pretty central... I can see quite a few places close by that look interesting to shoot. I've been to SF quite a few times but I don't know my way around to well.

What's close by that I can either walk or take public transport to that you feel is a must to shoot?

I will be on my own Weds - Fri from the crack of dawn till about 6PM. Also, anybody want to go shooting?

Hey Alex that's great that you're in town! If I can spare an afternoon I'd love to drive up.

There's so much to see in SF everywhere, but it depends on what you're looking to shoot. You're fantastic with people shots so your location is stellar: You've got downtown, Chinatown, the Embarcadero...

I've always wanted to walk up Powell and get some sunset shots from the top of that hill. You can get a view of the Bay Bridge and awesome canyon-like shots from there, but I just haven't done it yet.

If I were left to my own devices for several days in downtown SF, I'd do as many hikes as I could in this book: Stairway Walks in San Francisco

We've done two already and both have been unforgettable walks seeing details that most people don't even notice. IIRC the first walk in the book starts right near your hotel and should take most of a day up to and around Coit Tower.

Keep us posted! I'm already looking forward to your pics.
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2011
    I'm up for a walk/drive, etc. :D
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2011
    You thought about a pilgrimage to SmugMug HQ? Not the most exciting place to shoot, but exciting people to meet.

I also went from there down to Big Basic Redwoods.
    Coit Tower
    Golden Gate Park
    Telegraph Hill
    Fisherman's Wharf
    Treasure Island
    Marin Highlands

There are really lots of good places to shoot. Part of it depends on what you want to shoot and the weather. It rained on the day I went to Coit Tower but it was still really nice.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2011
    Very cool Steph. It would be really cool if you could join me. As it is, I think aktse is going to go shoot with me. Maybe we can do one of the Stairway Walks you have not done?

I'm going to check out our library to see if they happen to have the book before I buy it. It sounds like a great idea and maybe the kind of thing I'm looking for. Be nice to have a purpose than to just wonder around but who knows. I'm really open to shooting whatever. As I've said, I've been to SF before - shot the Bay and Golden gate bridges, I've shot the painted ladies, Fisherman's Wharf, etc. But it's also been some time since I did and I've gotten a lot better since then so who knows. I can do some Street too. Like I said, I'll be on my own so kind of just looking to get out and explore.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2011
    BTW, just found this site. Need to read it but I think it has maps and stuff about the Stairways. Will post back what I find.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2011
    You are in a great location for street/PJ photowalks. (Refer to Hotel website for map for following...)

Head east on Market and you will be at the Ferry Building and the Villaincourt Fountain and near the base of the Bay Bridge. The Embarcadero is a walkway along the Bay. South takes you to AT&T Park, home of the SF Giants baseball team. North heads toward Fisherman's Wharf.

Heading West on Market is a treasure trove as you get to Powell and Market in a block. The Cable Car turntable is there (later board the Powell/Hyde line ... not the Powell/Mason to get to Lombard Street and the harrowing ride down toward the Bay and directly at Alcatraz). At this corner are usually street performers and tons of shoppers. Pop your head into the SF Center for the "spiral" escalator inside the shopping mall. Continuing on Market for one more block, there is usually a set of tables with chess players (ala Searching for Bobby Fischer). Bear right at the next intersection and you will be a couple blocks from the City Hall and Civic Center of the city with the funkiest of statues there.

If you walk right on Market Street for two blocks, turn left on Montgomery (heading north) and you will be in the heart of the Financial District (and heading toward the Transamerica Pyramid). When you reach Clay, turn left (westward) for one block and you will reach Portsmouth Square. Here you will see numerous penny-ante card games played on cardboard boxes by the elder citizens of Chinatown -- men and women! There is a fortune cookie factory either in Spofford or Ross Alley -- prepare to donate $0.50 to take a picture:cry). Keep heading north on Grant Ave to the intersection of Broadway to see where the topless clubs first began in the sixties. Go west one block on Broadway to the corner of Stockton/Broadway to see the shopping heart of Chinatown -- thousands must cross that one intersection every hour. Love buying my fresh veggies there for 79cents/pound... Now head north on Stockton for two blocks and you hit Columbus Street which is the boundary for North Beach, the historical Italian district. Tons of sidewalk cafes to give you a European feel. Grant Ave heading north gives you a flavor of the small shops. Heading north on Columbus takes you to the Fisherman's Wharf area.

One other area you may be interested in is the Mission District, the heavily Hispanic area of the city. You can catch Bart to the 21st St station or most buses on Mission St (parallels Market one block south). Never been there with my camera.

Hope this encourages you to spend some time shooting "street" and not just shooting the iconic "postcard" views of the city. Your recent venture into street is so good that I would love to see your take on The City.

Realize that who you shoot with may largely determine the type of shooting you do. Wish I could join you but those days don't work for me. Have a great stay!
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2011
    Very cool Steph. It would be really cool if you could join me. As it is, I think aktse is going to go shoot with me. Maybe we can do one of the Stairway Walks you have not done?

Nice. It'll be awesome! I think both April and I own a copy of this book (I do because of her :D ) but yeah you may want to map out a plan if you have free days before we meet up. Otherwise of course I can lend you mine.

I know we have lots of time still but in order of preference, Fri > Wed > Thurs works best in my schedule, mostly because Thursdays are really busy at SM.

But of course if Thursday is the only day available don't let that stop you!
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2011
    A couple of us just did the Barbary Coast Trail. A great walk that covers the heart of the city. Some of the hills aren't quite as gentle as they lead you to believe, after all it is San Francisco.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited January 23, 2011
    Lots of great advice here. I would suggest you add to the list going to the Cliff House/Sutro Baths around sunset. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2011
    Oh man... there are so many great suggestions. The good thing is that it sounds like there won't be any shortage of material.

So far it's looking like April, Steph and Sam are available to shoot. Wednesday sounds like the best day for all. Very excited to finally meet some fellow Dgrinners and go shooting with you all.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    What time are you going to get together on Wednesday? I don't get home until 6 or 7 usually, so I may be out just based on time.

And actually next Wednesday I probably can't do... I have a training class to attend for work in San Jose from 8-5 or so I think... so I can't leave early :(
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    no can do on weekdays..have fun guys!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2011
    Just to be sure, that's this Wednesday, right? Feb 2nd? ear.gif Durr, sorry.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2011
    schmoo wrote: »
    Just to be sure, that's this Wednesday, right? Feb 2nd? ear.gif Durr, sorry.

Yes... Wednesday the 2nd as in the day after tomorrow. As the plan stands, we will meet at the Starbucks on Market and Powell at 10AM. Let me know if we need to change this up. If not, I will be there. Look for the dork with two cameras drinking a venti of some sort.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2011
    Yes... Wednesday the 2nd as in the day after tomorrow. As the plan stands, we will meet at the Starbucks on Market and Powell at 10AM. Let me know if we need to change this up. If not, I will be there. Look for the dork with two cameras drinking a venti of some sort.

Cool, no change, that sounds perfect. It just occurred to me that maybe you meant the first full week of Feb or something like that.

See you guys soon!
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2011
    schmoo wrote: »
    Cool, no change, that sounds perfect. It just occurred to me that maybe you meant the first full week of Feb or something like that.

See you guys soon!

Cool. Looking forward to it. Anyone else interested, see you at Starbucks. clap.gif

My Smug Site