Options

New website

2»

Comments

• Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2011
    ShepsMom wrote: »
    Thank you for your detailed review. Unfortunately, i can do nothing about none of the above you've mentioned, as it's a template and i can't move things around or adjust anything for that matter. I can make logo look smaller so it wont overlap the images, or better yet, get rid of it and just type the name with no graphics. Same with HTML, i don't have access to source file, and i did email Blu to see if they can give me access, which i doubt they will, and i have not heard from them yet, not a surprise.
    I'm getting really frustrated with this site now. :cry

What level of customization can you do in the template? I'm just trying to think if there would be ways of "tricking it" or modifying what you uploaded to make it fit better.

And having the graphic part of the logo isn't perfect but I think the bigger issue is the small tag line underneath, if that is not needed or could be put in a different location it would help a lot.
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2011
    What level of customization can you do in the template? I'm just trying to think if there would be ways of "tricking it" or modifying what you uploaded to make it fit better.

And having the graphic part of the logo isn't perfect but I think the bigger issue is the small tag line underneath, if that is not needed or could be put in a different location it would help a lot.

I can redesign the logo, but that's not the point. I've contacted Blu yesterday and have not received anything from them yet, so I have found another template from another company and i will be switching. Blu sucks, i should have listen to all the complaints. $50.00 ins't a big loss.
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2011
    urbanaries wrote: »
    I liked your site even though it was on the slow side, it is much better than it was about a week ago when I first visited. I wanted to comment though because I remember your photos & posts from a year or so ago when I frequented the People forum, and I almost had to do a double take at your username. You have come leaps and bounds and I am incredibly impressed! Wonderful, beautiful work. clap.gifclapclap.gif

Agreed!! I was really impressed with your wedding photos. Top notch work.

Anytime you need a second shooter, give me a call!!! mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2011
    I can redesign the logo, but that's not the point. I've contacted Blu yesterday and have not received anything from them yet, so I have found another template from another company and i will be switching. Blu sucks, i should have listen to all the complaints. $50.00 ins't a big loss.

For web work 50 is next to nothing so you're right it's better to just move on. I just finished up my work for the day and am snowed in so if you want I could take a look at whatever templates you are thinking about using.
  • Options
    cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2011
    try showit!
    If you are looking for suggestions, check out Showit. Seriously, it's easy beyond words. Drag and drop, full facebook integration, and allows you to create a mobile site, so it directs you to an html site automatically if you are on a mobile device!

I love my site, and showit. You can change them up, and customize them however you wish, as often as you wish... you can use a template, which can be totally adjusted, or start from scratch! Check out their free download. They are amazing, not to mention the tech support and daily "hangouts"

http://showitfast.com/
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2011
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2011
    Mitchell wrote: »
    Agreed!! I was really impressed with your wedding photos. Top notch work.

Anytime you need a second shooter, give me a call!!! mwink.gif

Hey Mitch, long time no see! Thanks for the compliment. :D
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2011
    cdonovan wrote: »
    If you are looking for suggestions, check out Showit. Seriously, it's easy beyond words. Drag and drop, full facebook integration, and allows you to create a mobile site, so it directs you to an html site automatically if you are on a mobile device!

I love my site, and showit. You can change them up, and customize them however you wish, as often as you wish... you can use a template, which can be totally adjusted, or start from scratch! Check out their free download. They are amazing, not to mention the tech support and daily "hangouts"

http://showitfast.com/

I've tried ShowIt before, first i couldn't figure things out, I think i'm just dumb about this stuff. Secondly, i'm trying to eliminate any monthly fee as much as possible, that was the main reason to just get a template and be done with it. My hosting and domain are paid in full for the next 3 years.

I'm looking into http://www.creativemotiondesign.com/
    they have a 10 day trial period, i already picked a template and made a site, of course it's not live, but it's working and looking a lot better then Blu's, and it appears to be faster as well.

If anyone have any experience with them, i'd like to hear it.

I'm wondering if Godaddy might be the issue with my site being slow, anyone have any input about that? Could the hosting company be a problem?
    Thanks!
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2011
    I've tried ShowIt before, first i couldn't figure things out, I think i'm just dumb about this stuff. Secondly, i'm trying to eliminate any monthly fee as much as possible, that was the main reason to just get a template and be done with it. My hosting and domain are paid in full for the next 3 years.

I'm looking into http://www.creativemotiondesign.com/
    they have a 10 day trial period, i already picked a template and made a site, of course it's not live, but it's working and looking a lot better then Blu's, and it appears to be faster as well.

If anyone have any experience with them, i'd like to hear it.

I'm wondering if Godaddy might be the issue with my site being slow, anyone have any input about that? Could the hosting company be a problem?
    Thanks!

It is part of the issue, I can tell you from experience GoDaddy is slower than say Yahoo small business running the same site. But a lot of the issues for your last site came from the gallery section and even after the page loaded there was a lot of lag. This was after the page had downloaded and due to badly written flash code basically asking for too many complex things to be calculated at once so everything lagged.
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2011

If you tried it before, check them out again. They have worked really hard in making things super easy. They have written and video tuts, live support, daily hangouts, and email support. They offer a monthly fee, or an annual subscription! I researched and played around with a lot of options before I finally decided on showit. The layout you have going on is a great start, and could be easily recreated in showit but just dragging and dropping!
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2011
    If you tried it before, check them out again. They have worked really hard in making things super easy. They have written and video tuts, live support, daily hangouts, and email support. They offer a monthly fee, or an annual subscription! I researched and played around with a lot of options before I finally decided on showit. The layout you have going on is a great start, and could be easily recreated in showit but just dragging and dropping!

I've decided to play with Showit, i couldn't figure out how to make a slideshow of images on the front page, do i have to have slideshow made elsewhere and upload it as video? ne_nau.gif
    Also, $39.99/mth is quiet hefty for me right now, is this for hosting or what?
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2011
    I've decided to play with Showit, i couldn't figure out how to make a slideshow of images on the front page, do i have to have slideshow made elsewhere and upload it as video? ne_nau.gif
    Also, $39.99/mth is quiet hefty for me right now, is this for hosting or what?

You go into the media section and choose the display type that you prefer, and then play with that gadget, pulling the pictures into the "advanced tab"
    for example, the pictures on my home page are a loop gallery
    (www.donovanphotos.com
    there is a wiki to show you step by step how to do them!

the monthly fee is hosting and design, everything except for your domain name!!
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2011
    You go into the media section and choose the display type that you prefer, and then play with that gadget, pulling the pictures into the "advanced tab"
    for example, the pictures on my home page are a loop gallery
    (www.donovanphotos.com
    there is a wiki to show you step by step how to do them!

the monthly fee is hosting and design, everything except for your domain name!!

But can you design a site and host it elsewhere? I didn't see that option.
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • Options
    studio1972studio1972 Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2011
    As an ex-show-it user user, I would say that it is a great way to create a flash site on your own. Flash sites can be very pretty and some of the templates are nice. However, I ended up moving away from them as I wanted an iPhone/iPad/SEO friendly site. The HTML mobile sites that show-it produces are no substitute for a proper html site IMHO.
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    For the record, photobiz.com is also a great option. Lovely flash sites that are very easy to work with. They have sales from time to time so if you keep an eye out, you might be able to sign up at just the right time.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2011
    Kinkajou wrote: »
    For the record, photobiz.com is also a great option. Lovely flash sites that are very easy to work with. They have sales from time to time so if you keep an eye out, you might be able to sign up at just the right time.

Photobiz does not sell templates, they want you to pay hosting $16.00/mth and up depending on the amount of images, which sucks in my opinion.

My hosting is paid in full for 3 years and i can use template and unlimited images. :D
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • Options
    kyeeziekyeezie Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2011
    The site is much quicker to me than a few days ago. I did notice that in the "how much" tab, you are missing the closing parentheses in the statement (Includes DVD with images. Looks great though!!!! If I see anything else I will let you know.
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2011
    Thanks kyeezie for checking on it, i did notice it too, it's an image and i will have to replace it. :)
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300