Options

Photo Essay

sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
edited January 27, 2011 in Street and Documentary
While this isn't urban, it is photojournalism, a photo essay (with words, even) on winter. If this is not the right department, Richard, please move - thanks. I'm on the island this week, waiting on the imminent arrival of a grand-baby (hey, I just thought of a way to induce labor: get on the next ferry out of here). Anyway, all shot with G12, and thanks for looking.
1159862718_SYwQU-M.jpg

The truth is, I love winter (and as I write, we are in the middle of another in a series of January snow storms). I love the coziness about it, and the fact that it gives me an excuse to stay inside all day, holed up, focusing on various work-related or creative projects pertaining to photography or music, or reorganizing a closet, or remodeling or rearranging something or other, or catching up on paper work or a sewing project; general nesting. The cozy, indoor-centered winter is a kind of hibernation for me - not the sleeping kind of hibernation that bears do in caves, but the tending to the home-fires kind of rest that grounds me and replenishes my soul. I would never want to live in a part of the world where there is no winter, and I grow weary of the constant, collective complaining about snow and cold. I love it - the frigid air feels good on my cheeks and wakes my brain up - and snow is still magic to me. I love waking up in the morning in the dark, and I also love the dark that closes in on us in the early evening, drawing people together around a table under the glow of lamp light. In fact, I enjoy winter so much that this time of year, when the days start growing longer (at the rate of about one minute per day; it is now still light at 4:45, compared to being dark at 4:00 back in December), I find myself thinking, wait -slow down; I'm not quite finished with my winter's rest - because I know what comes next: the frenetic scurrying; the turning to all things outward and out-of-doors and busy-ness and people and schedules.

Yes, I do love this slow and dark and inward-turning time.
1168627464_XhyGo-M.jpg

1168626088_sV3T8-M.jpg

1168604602_4zV7L-M.jpg

1168605187_S3P3p-M.jpg

1168617942_gFUs8-M.jpg

1168628141_v7JGS-M.jpg

1168629199_qaxE6-M.jpg

1168606358_PrZjM-M.jpg

1168606994_yVBT2-M.jpg

1168605662_8RtNE-M.jpg

1168631517_26vPB-M.jpg

1168608249_EEbHj-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    Really lovely Sara. I'd certainly call this a photo essay, but don't think I'd call it photo journalism - at least not in any traditional sense. For it to be photo journalism each image would have to have a caption, telling us among other things, what we were looking at - when and where it was shot - who's in it (in the case of the kids playing hockey) etc. But that doesn't detract from this as a wonderful look at the reality of winter in a quiet, isolated place. Terrific work. :-)
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2011
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Really lovely Sara. I'd certainly call this a photo essay, but don't think I'd call it photo journalism - at least not in any traditional sense. For it to be photo journalism each image would have to have a caption, telling us among other things, what we were looking at - when and where it was shot - who's in it (in the case of the kids playing hockey) etc. But that doesn't detract from this as a wonderful look at the reality of winter in a quiet, isolated place. Terrific work. :-)

Ah - got it. you're right. I couldn't think of where else to put this - oh yeah, "when you're not sure where...here." :D

Thanks for you comments - as you can see, I've got a bit of spare time on my hands...
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    Are #8 and #12 IR?
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2011
    damonff wrote: »
    Are #8 and #12 IR?

Nope - it's my basic LR BW with re-set black and white points in CS5. Oh, and some sharpening. Much as I love LR, I'm finding that my BWs are needing a boost in PS.