Options

Canon S95 v Pany LX5 v ?

Need2SkiNeed2Ski Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
edited April 13, 2011 in Cameras
Been shooting an Oly e620 dSLR. Had a Panasonic TZ5 that is kaput. I really think I want to add a compact. I've really toyed with the idea of a micro 4/3 and may go that route at some point. But I'm missing a small camera I can just chuck into a pocket when skiing, or biking, or... So considering cameras like the S95 and LX5. I like the 24mm efl of the LX5, the lens is faster over much of the zoom range, and it's reputed to have better video. But it's a bit chunkier and the lens doesn't collapse as completely as the S95 and it doesn't have a built in lens cap. The new Oly XZ-1 looks great on paper but it's a tad bigger. I think I'm leaning toward the S95 just because of the size. Anyone have thoughts on these cameras or anything else I should be looking at. Anyone using an LX5 as a "chuck it in your pocket and go" kind of camera? Any thoughts on using a camera like an Oly E-PL1 or E-PL2 in this role? Thanks much.

Comments

• Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    I've the E-PL1 and while it's great and fun, it's NOT a chuck into your pocket camera (chuck into your medium-large purse, yes). For pocket, that would be the S95 in my book :) if you want to grab and go, get it. I know several people with it who are SO happy with it. It's great, powerful and SMALL.
    //Leah
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    I've only used the s95, but I can tell you it rocked my world while traveling last week. All the manual control you could ever want in a PnS, decent iso (I got some ok shots at 1600), the scenes/modes have some nice inclusions (I love the tilt-shift effect, and the HDR is pretty good), the lens produces excellent quality images and I couldn't be happier with it. It is SO much camera in that tiny package!

Some of my shots from the trip can be seen in this thread (post #32)
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    I just got the Samsung TL500 for $300 at Beach Camera. It's designed to compete with the LX- and Canon S- cameras. Awesome image quality, shoots raw, sharp, fast, wide (24mm equiv) 1.8 lens, lots of manual control, including a front and rear control dial. Relatively small (larger than an lx5, smaller than a G12.) so it is jacket-pocketable, if not pants-pocketable. and I'm enjoying the articulating screen a lot more than I thought I would. The lens cap sucks, though ...

Here's a link to a gallery of walking-around-downtown shots taken with it: http://hobbyist.smugmug.com/Out-and-About/Around-Rochester-NY/Downtown-Rochester-2011/15595670_eKtQG
  • Options
    jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    Here's a comparison review that may be worth a read:

http://bythom.com/compactHQ1.htm

It covers the G11, not the S95 from Canon. But there is a note about the similarities between these models.
  • Options
    holzphotoholzphoto Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2011
    i've owned the LX5, s95 and currently have the EPL-1 w/ 14-40, 40-150 and panny 20mm 1.7.

although bigger, i prefer the epl-1
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,894 moderator
    edited January 29, 2011
    holzphoto wrote: »
    i've owned the LX5, s95 and currently have the EPL-1 w/ 14-40, 40-150 and panny 20mm 1.7.

although bigger, i prefer the epl-1

It would be helpful to explain why you prefer the Olympus E-PL1.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Need2SkiNeed2Ski Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited January 29, 2011
    The micro 4/3 cameras have a great deal of appeal to me and eventually I'll probably move in that direction (or some other mirror-less interchangeable lens system) in the future. The E-PLs look like a lot of camera for the money. But after dwelling on this what I'm really missing is the ability to just put a small camera in my pocket and go. A few weeks ago we did a snowshoe hike. I debated whether to take my e620 or not. Decided that if I had it in a back pack I probably wouldn't want to stop, take gloves off, get the camera out, etc. Got into some areas where the snow was hanging on the trees with rays of sun -- really pretty with great light. I would have had my little Panny P & S but it was toast. Missed many photo ops and regretted not bringing the camera. Divamum, the images you posted are impressive and I think it's telling you relied mostly on the S95. The LX5 and Samsung look really good but I think the diminutive size, relative lack of protrusions, and built in lens cap makes the S95 the best choice for my current needs. Thanks much for your helpful comments.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2011
    I do recommend a case for it, if only to make it a little easier to hold - I wound up with one of these with which I'm very happy (especially for less than $10!). I removed the top cover when I hung round my neck while we were out and about, and then just left it like that tucked under my coat or scarf; the retractable lens meant dust wasn't an issue, and it worked well for me since it made it just slightly larger without increasing size so much that the whole point was defeated. When I wasn't using it, I could snap it into the whole case for protection.

I believe there's also a small add-on grip you can get, but since I knew I wanted a case, I opted for the item above.
  • Options
    piolet_rampepiolet_rampe Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited February 2, 2011
    The S90 / S95 is an amazing camera in such a small package and a great choice for outdoor enthusiasts for sure. I had the S90 and it seemed to feel a little "delicate" though, and indeed I ended up damaging it to the point that the flash no longer worked. This compared to my unremarkable Canon SD870 p&s which feels a lot more solid and has withstood more tough situations for almost three years now. I only had the S90 about three months. After sending it to Canon, I used the loyalty program and got into a G11, but that is not the same pocket sized convenience of the smaller cameras.

I keep wishing that Olympus would make those waterproof / tough cameras to be higher quality. If you could put the features of the S90/95 into the Olympus Stylus Tough series you would have a real winner for the outdoor enthusiast.
  • Options
    InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    Consider also the Olympus XZ-1 premium compact:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/OlympusXZ1/

Personally, I think the S95 has the best balance of size and features.

I don't know if I'll get another compact as the E-PL1 and Panasonic 20mm seems to have become the camera/lens that is with me all the time. The fixed focal length isn't as flexible though.
  • Options
    piolet_rampepiolet_rampe Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2011
  • Options
    laurenornotlaurenornot Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2011
    Just picked up an XZ-1 yesterday and I'm blown away by how great SOOC shots are as compared to my LX3. It is a little bigger than typical compacts but I love the sturdiness of it and I've never put a camera in my pocket anyway!