Options

Canon, Nikon lenses attached to MF digital backs?

haringharing Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
edited February 1, 2011 in Technique
I am just wondering whether if it is possible to use Canon, Nikon (35mm) lenses attached to MF digital backs?

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,933 moderator
    edited January 30, 2011
    I'm no physicist, but I would think the optics would be all wrong, as the sensor is much larger on MF. Sort of like why you can't use Canon EF-S lenses on full frame cameras. I would think vignetting would be extreme. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited January 30, 2011
    The image circles may not be large enough to encompass the whole MF sensor. - An alternative way to say exactly what Richard just said.....
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2011
    Don't forget the flange to film distance isn't even close. Nikon F mount lenses have one of the largest 35mm format distances at 46.5mm. The absolute smallest medium format flange to film distance I can think of is Mamiya 645, which is in the low 60s. Hasselblad and other square formats are high 70s/low 80s.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2011
    I have just found a camera which can do it. http://www.hartblei.eu/en/hartbleicam2.htm
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2011
    Which camera are you referring to? It appeared that the cameras on that site all had a Pentacon Six mount, which is a medium format mount. All the adapters I saw were to put pentacon six lenses on 35mm cameras, which is kind of the opposite direction of what you're looking to do.

If course, I looked at this site on my phone, so I might have missed something. :D
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2011
    run_kmc wrote: »
    Which camera are you referring to? It appeared that the cameras on that site all had a Pentacon Six mount, which is a medium format mount. All the adapters I saw were to put pentacon six lenses on 35mm cameras, which is kind of the opposite direction of what you're looking to do.

If course, I looked at this site on my phone, so I might have missed something. :D

This one: http://www.hartblei.eu/en/hartbleicam2.htm

It is SICK! :):)
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2011
    I suppose. :D

May I ask why you would like to use 35mm lenses on a medium format camera?
  • Options
    dbddbd Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2011
    run_kmc wrote: »
    May I ask why you would like to use 35mm lenses on a medium format camera?

My Hasselblad XPan lenses might pretty well cover the sensor and they come with center weighted filters to correct vignetting.

Dale B. Dalrymple
    http://dbdimages.com
    "Give me a lens long enough and a place to stand and I can image the earth."
    ...with apology to Archimedies