Options

D90 to D7000 or higher?

nikmolsonnikmolson Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
edited February 18, 2011 in Cameras
im looking to upgrade from my D90, i was originally thinking of going to a D300 or possibly the D700 but the D7000 is looking even better, though it doesnt seem like much a step up and i dont want to be buying another body again soon. opinions?

btw i started with a D60 moved up to the 90, been shooting for some years now and am looking to be taking it more seriously in the way of fashion/ portraits

Comments

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    The D7000 is quite a step up from D90. The autofocus system is superior to the D90 and the ISO is about 1 stop better with more pixels. The D300 autofocus is even more snappier but the sensor is actually step down. If you are getting serious about your photogrpahy though just bite the bullet and get the D700. You will never have to upgrade ever again whether you are shoot low light weddings, sports, landscape, etc.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2011
    besides the full frame is the D700 really that much better? i should probably mention video is pretty important to me, and the 1080 on the D7000 sounds good to me, though i am first an foremost a photographer
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    it really is. low light is another clean stop above the D7000. You get even a snappier autofocus then the D300. Finally you get professional ergo layout with things like lock out so you don't bump the mode dial and have it switch, and extra buttons to access single point focal point..this last feature is a life saver for me and for many pros. I have to say though you don't really appreciate the ergonomics until you have used one for while then you can never go back. Also things like autofocus you can't really see in spec sheet..you have to shoot with it to appreciate it. No video though.

Again if you have aspriation for getting paid for your work, hands down the D700. If you intend to stay as amatuer/hobbyist where getting "the" shot "when" you need it, then the D7000 will serve you just fine.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    corbosmancorbosman Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    If video is important, go get the D7000. It is an excellent camera, with lots of pro-ish features. It is imho by far the most value-for-money camera Nikon currently sells. The ergonomics are pretty good, and even better if you add a grip. (unless you have small hands, my wife hates the grip, but im used to D2/D3 cameras so i love the grip). Obviously the D700 will be useless to you because it does not have video.

Personally I think the D700 doesn't add very much that most people will need in their photography. Unless you shoot 8 hours a day, every day, the ergonomics are just fine, and so are the buttons. (and if you do shoot 8 hours a day, maybe consider a D3).

Ive never accidentally moved any dial (for one, Nikon listened to complaints and made the mode dial harder to move). D7000 is lighter, and had much longer battery life than the D700. Oh, and it costs less than half. I only see positives :) (well, maybe the D700 finder is nicer).
  • Options
    MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    What lenses do you have and what's your glass upgrade strategy? If you have a handful of DX glass now and are not looking to upgrade it as well, then go with the 7000.
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    What lenses do you have and what's your glass upgrade strategy? If you have a handful of DX glass now and are not looking to upgrade it as well, then go with the 7000.

A friend of mine has a D7000. Brilliant value for money. Very good feel and performance.
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2011
    i have the 105 mm 2.8 and the 50 mm 1.4 right now, next lenses i plan on buying are the 14-24 2.8 and probably the 24-70 2.8. though it will take a while to be able to afford them all im thinking i will buy a new body and one lens soon. though im almost wondering if i should hold off on the body for a but until nikon put out some higher level bodies with better video? they can't be that far off
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2011
    also i have been chewing over the idea of switching to canon. i dont want this to turn into a canon vs nikon but would a 7D or even a 5D be a better choice for me?
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    nikmolson wrote: »
    would a 7D or even a 5D be a better choice for me?

You are the only one that can determine which is better for you. Personally the buttons and menu's on the Canon are funky to me. I am sure that I could get used to them, but I have been shooting Nikon for better than 20 years.

The D300 is a nice camera and D700 is also quite nice. I have not seen a D7000 so I cannot comment on those. I use a D3 and it is by far the best that I have ever owned.

I have shot with a number of Canon cameras and they certainly have some things that I wish Nikon would incorporate. From my very limited use, they appear to have a better range of color. The cameras that I borrowed do not compare when it comes to ISO.

I also shoot exclusively in 5:4 mode which is offered in the D3 series. It also allows me to switch to DX mode for macro when I want.

At this point, I am so heavily invested in glass that I could never switch (without a major sponsorship).
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    HowzitHowzit Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    also i have been chewing over the idea of switching to canon. i dont want this to turn into a canon vs nikon but would a 7D or even a 5D be a better choice for me?

...if video is very important to you then, yes. You should also consider the 60D then.
    ... i should probably mention video is pretty important to me...
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2011
    Howzit wrote: »
    ...if video is very important to you then, yes. You should also consider the 60D then.

Elaborate? from what i can tell Canon is leading in the Video area but is it enough that it would warrant a full switch over?
  • Options
    HowzitHowzit Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2011
    Elaborate? from what i can tell Canon is leading in the Video area but is it enough that it would warrant a full switch over?

Check out the full review & videos of the D7000 at cameralabs.com then you decide the importance of video. The D7000 and 60D are both fine cameras.

"Moving onto the movie mode, Nikon's completely revamped what was available on the D90, which lest we forget was the model which kick-started video on DSLRs two years earlier. The D7000 represents an upgrade in almost every respect: you can now shoot in 1080p (albeit only at 24fps), the maximum recording time in HD is four times longer at 20 minutes (and with a top rate of 150 Megabytes per minute you'll actually achieve that time before the 4GB file limit too), there's manual control over exposures (although you'll need to fix your aperture before entering Live View), and the microphone input has the potential to greatly improve your audio quality.

For all those new features though, the one that's gathered most attention is the continuous AF capability while filming. While this proved reasonably effective at tracking subjects approaching or receding fairly predictably, it was less successful when used erratically like a typical camcorder. Like the D3100 before it, the D7000's Full-time Servo AF mode searches very audibly and visibly every few seconds while filming, which can prove very distracting. The trouble is traditional DSLRs and their lenses just aren't designed for quick and discreet focusing while filming video, and once the initial novelty of full-time AF has worn off, you'll almost certainly switch the D7000 to manual focus.

This eliminates the D7000's key advantage over the EOS 60D when it comes to movies. The Canon offers a fully articulated screen, a choice of frame rates at 1080p, greater manual control during composition, audio level meters and higher bit rates (albeit limiting the maximum HD recording time to 12 minutes per clip). The bottom line is while the D7000 offers considerably better movie capabilities than its predecessor, there's few high-end enthusiasts or professionals who'd choose it over one of Canon's bodies for video alone. And for consumers, Sony's hybrid models like the SLT-A33 deliver far superior continuous autofocusing capabilities."
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2011
    This review by Tom Hogan addreses most of the questions you raise.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2011
    Howzit wrote: »
    Check out the full review & videos of the D7000 at cameralabs.com then you decide the importance of video. The D7000 and 60D are both fine cameras.

a comparison of the Canon 60D and Nikon D7000 -
    http://www.popphoto.com/reviews/cameras/2011/01/tested-canon-60d
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2011
    D90 to D7000 controls will feel the same. I been very pleased with the D7000
    More research here D7000 sensor ranks very high
    http://dxomark.com/index.php/Camera-Sensor/Sensor-rankings.
    If you already have the investment in glass I dont see what you would gain by switching brands. Both would take awesome shots.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/