Options

It's engagement season right?

tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
edited March 4, 2011 in Weddings
This is from last night. I met the couple and just wandered around the streets outside of their house. So much fun to just walk around with no plan and make things happen.

As always, more and the full story on my blogosphere.

cbe458e42cf28997b8a4434b921b597b.jpg

d1fe2d27876fd4b71ae51b2c89f221fd.jpg

c57bec5e530d1033187ff5b3939f26f7.jpg

3e9259a9ceeffd247a2c499846bf4085.jpg

a6947b468ca65316683978c9bfbb6b34.jpg

Comments

• Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    Very nice set! Love the first one!

Did the same just the other day :) + Once I actually walked into a couple that got engaged *that* day! ... that was fun! :)
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    Awesome! There is nothing better then binge spontaneous! I always tell my couples that i plan Nothing. I use what i see and what comes along the way, I will bring people/pets/cars/anything that i can in the picture where i see it fits. Couple's love it!
    Nice set!
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    #2 rocks!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    newbnewb Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    #4 is by far my favorite. Love the lighting.
    D7000/D5000 | Nikkor Glass | SB600's | RF602's | CS5/LR3
  • Options
    mpriest13mpriest13 Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    I LOVE #1! clap.gif
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2011
    Thanks everyone for sharing the love! I am beyond stoked that so far just about everyone who has seen these has a different favorite :) It's pretty rare that I actually plan out a location to shoot in, but in Yosemite I have already shot in most of the places that are easily accessible (but thank god, not all of them). This was different in that as we walked I had literally never set eyes on anything that we saw before hand. I really had no expectations whatsoever of what to find (never thought we'd wander into tennis courts for examples) whereas for the most part, working in Yosemite I can go anyplace and find rocks and/or trees :)

@Angie that's a crazy story about running into that couple!
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    #1 is totally my favorite of these, great work!
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2011
    Thanks Cat! It's amazing what one straggly bush next to a muni line can look like at from the right angle.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    Thanks Cat! It's amazing what one straggly bush next to a muni line can look like at from the right angle.

yup, that's where the "eye" comes in. It's easy to shoot in gorgeous places like I just did in SF city hall... can't find a bad back drop if your tried. But finding little slices of gorgeous in the mundane..that just fit the camera frame..is challenging and satisfying. It feels like your created something out of nothing.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011

Mmmmmm bokeh :)

Out of curiosity, what do you charge for couples sessions? (feel free to PM me if you don't want to post that on here)
  • Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    Can you explain the lighting in number 4? I'm enamored by it also...

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2011
    Shima wrote: »
    Mmmmmm bokeh :)

Out of curiosity, what do you charge for couples sessions? (feel free to PM me if you don't want to post that on here)

That was the one and only shot I took all day that was wide open. Normally I don't like to shoot my 85 at 1.2 just because of the difficulty focusing. Not sure how in this picture I managed to get them in focus - they were rocking back and forth and goofing off. I really wanted to tell them just to stand still so that I could get the picture in focus at 1.2, but I didn't want to kill the mood. Most of the frames from this spot are all in perfect focus - I got VERY lucky.

As of right now (this will be funny when someone googles this in 2018) I am charging $750 for an engagement session with a $200 print credit. I've tried my best to set up all of my shoots so that I make the same amount no matter what I am shooting, be it a wedding, engagement, studio session, etc. But at the same time I REALLY want my clients to have products in hand and be able to show off the photos. Most times they end up buying more than the original credit :)
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2011
    r3t1awr3yd wrote: »
    Can you explain the lighting in number 4? I'm enamored by it also...

Of course, this is SUPER EASY lighting that looks way cool to me. It's a single light with a tight grid (the tighter the grid, the smaller the lit area) about four feet higher than the couples head pointed at them and the garage door on a downward angle. As the circular light pattern hits the garage door from that angle, this is the shape it produces. My camera was directly underneath the light in order to keep it on axis. Of course this is very hard light, which is why it is so contrasty and cool, so it works better on some subjects that others.
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2011
    Qarik wrote: »
    yup, that's where the "eye" comes in. It's easy to shoot in gorgeous places like I just did in SF city hall... can't find a bad back drop if your tried. But finding little slices of gorgeous in the mundane..that just fit the camera frame..is challenging and satisfying. It feels like your created something out of nothing.

Don't kid yourself Daniel, it still takes the talent you have to create those great shots even in SF city hall.
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2011
    Of course, this is SUPER EASY lighting that looks way cool to me. It's a single light with a tight grid (the tighter the grid, the smaller the lit area) about four feet higher than the couples head pointed at them and the garage door on a downward angle. As the circular light pattern hits the garage door from that angle, this is the shape it produces. My camera was directly underneath the light in order to keep it on axis. Of course this is very hard light, which is why it is so contrasty and cool, so it works better on some subjects that others.
    Ah, grid. So it was snooted. All I wanted to know :D

• Options
    edited March 4, 2011
    r3t1awr3yd wrote: »
    Ah, grid. So it was snooted. All I wanted to know :D

Well a snoot would make it look quite a bit different. The falloff of the grid is what makes the lighting here. A snoot (at this distance) would have a much harder transition.
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2011
    Well a snoot would make it look quite a bit different. The falloff of the grid is what makes the lighting here. A snoot (at this distance) would have a much harder transition.
    I grid my snoot so I'm pretty sure I could recreate this light with me gridded snoot, yar. (I'm not sure why I turned pirate there at the end lol).

I'm still gonna go home and play anyways lol

• Options
    edited March 4, 2011
    Definitely go play and experiment! It's always better to play with it and figure out what works best for you.