Options

[High School Rep]: Devan - C&C Wanted

sonny_csonny_c Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
edited March 4, 2011 in People
Seventeen years ago my wife, Michelle, use to babysit this young lady (and her two older brothers) when Devan was just an infant. Now she is a junior at Klein Forest High School.

I just want to say one thing before you begin...it was WINDY! As you will see the hair was all over the place and clothing was being blown 'around'. We did our best and battled through it. How do you guys handle windy outdoor sessions?

All C&C is welcomed.

devan-001.jpg

devan-003.jpg

devan-004.jpg

devan-006.jpg

devan-005.jpg

devan-009.jpg

devan-019.jpg

devan-012.jpg

devan-028.jpg

devan-030.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Albert DicksonAlbert Dickson Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    I think they are splendid. I am not a fan of 3 and 5. It is a mouth open thing.
    4 and 8 are exceptionally nice. I reall think 4 rocks. The back light and B&W work super here.
    Albert
  • Options
    digidronedigidrone Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    Put me down on #4
    I think these are very well done!
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    Sonny,

These are really good. I love 4 and 7. I don't know if this is a hobby of yours or if you did this and get paid, but I can tell you... this set is light years better than about 75% of the stuff I've seen produced by so-called pros that shoot seniors for a living. Just take a look on the net and you see what I mean. Seriously. Sure... there are some nits but very minor. You did a very good job and I'm sure she and her family will love them.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    7 and 8 and 9 look like they were shot by a different photographer...definitely a cut above the rest. The light and skin in those are very nice. 7 the pose makes her look like somebody yelled her name off set and she looked over, could be better.
    4 I like but the light is to sharp and harsh from below, see the shadows on her neck and between her eyes, still a cool shot wuold have been better with softer light from below to soften those shadows.

The first group were shot without a flash modifier and you can tell from the harsh shadows, looks like she was having a good time, which is good.

6 had a lot of potential, love the setting and the processing, the pose not so much. Any thing with some personality or attitude would have been great in that spot.

9 also had a lot of potential, great spot, great light, the pose makes it look she is cold and wants to be done.

As presented I like 8 the best, don't love the background but still a nice photo, kind of a different crop with lots of appendages cut off...but I kind of like that effect. She looks very pretty in this shot.

Overall a solid effort. I am sure she will love the shots.
    I like that you did not "pose" her so much which creates a stiff unatural subject, but when their position is not idea it is good to help them out a bit.

Looks like you handled the wind well, I just try to keep their face to the wind and normally not a big deal, I like a bit of wind.

I hope you take this critique as constructive in nature as is my intent per your request for CC.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    some good stuff, some REAL good stuff..I would throw a small vignette on 1,2,7 and 9 just to lead the eyes a bit.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    4, 6, 7, 8 WOO HOO! Great shots. I love the lighting in 4! Nice work.
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • Options
    sonny_csonny_c Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    Thank you everyone for taking time to look at my photos and providing feedback.

Qarik wrote: »
    some good stuff, some REAL good stuff..I would throw a small vignette on 1,2,7 and 9 just to lead the eyes a bit.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to try that.
    zoomer wrote: »
    7 and 8 and 9 look like they were shot by a different photographer...definitely a cut above the rest. The light and skin in those are very nice. 7 the pose makes her look like somebody yelled her name off set and she looked over, could be better.
    4 I like but the light is to sharp and harsh from below, see the shadows on her neck and between her eyes, still a cool shot wuold have been better with softer light from below to soften those shadows.

The first group were shot without a flash modifier and you can tell from the harsh shadows, looks like she was having a good time, which is good.

6 had a lot of potential, love the setting and the processing, the pose not so much. Any thing with some personality or attitude would have been great in that spot.

9 also had a lot of potential, great spot, great light, the pose makes it look she is cold and wants to be done.

As presented I like 8 the best, don't love the background but still a nice photo, kind of a different crop with lots of appendages cut off...but I kind of like that effect. She looks very pretty in this shot.

Overall a solid effort. I am sure she will love the shots.
    I like that you did not "pose" her so much which creates a stiff unatural subject, but when their position is not idea it is good to help them out a bit.

Looks like you handled the wind well, I just try to keep their face to the wind and normally not a big deal, I like a bit of wind.

I hope you take this critique as constructive in nature as is my intent per your request for CC.
    Zoomer,

Thank you for breaking down each set of photos and providing ideas to make them better.
    Sonny,

These are really good. I love 4 and 7. I don't know if this is a hobby of yours or if you did this and get paid, but I can tell you... this set is light years better than about 75% of the stuff I've seen produced by so-called pros that shoot seniors for a living. Just take a look on the net and you see what I mean. Seriously. Sure... there are some nits but very minor. You did a very good job and I'm sure she and her family will love them.
    Thank you Alex! We're not getting paid yet. We are in the process of building our portfolio with newborn and high school rep sessions.
    wolf911wolf911 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2011
    6, 7, and 8 I like best, nice work.
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2011
    You did a great job and you made the wind work for you on many of these...
    #7 is my fave...
    When I shoot in the wind with portable lighting I always bring a helper :D
    Bravo!
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2011
    I really like 3-4 & 8. This is a nice representation of her. I expecially like how you kept the clothing in key with the background. (light clothing-light backgound, dark clothing-dark background). A major concern in competition. Do you have any studio shots of her?
  • Options
    Greg49Greg49 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited March 4, 2011
    I'll keep my comments quick and simple....Holy crap, excellent work.
  • Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2011
    these are great! she will definitely be pleased!
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2011
    You don't need a portfolio. Use shot number 8 as your cover page and go make some money.
    As stated previously your work is better than all the soccer moms that are out there making $100. a shoot and turning out *&^% that they think is gold.

You should be making money now, you are just a couple fixes away from turning out Really Great Work.

Be confident.
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2011
    #8 is the best shot IMHO. I alos like #4 a lot but would crop the jeans out of the shot - keep only the sports jersey.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac