Hoover Dam and Bridge

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
edited March 9, 2011 in Landscapes
I managed to get a new angle on it today.

1208287285_FoGAj-X2.jpg

1208121917_JP9X3-X2-3.jpg

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited March 7, 2011
    Is it really open? Dang, that was a fast build.

Now the question is how did you get such a cool shot?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2011
    A very nice angle no less. How long did it take for you to get up there?

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited March 7, 2011
    Terrific shots, Joel. Very impressive. clap.gif
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited March 7, 2011
    Holy Cow! Nice positioning there. The water level looks very low, doesn't it? Is the old road over the dam still open to the public?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2011
    ian408 wrote: »

Actually, I believe it took about 6 years.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited March 7, 2011
    ian408 wrote: »

Fast? Seemed like it took forever. It does make the drive so much better into Vegas for us. However, it's not a panacea because it moved the bottleneck from the dam itself to the village of Boulder City that the highway still passes through. Some day they're supposed to reroute that stretch and then it will be perfect. Still, it's a huge step in the right direction.
    Cuong wrote: »
    A very nice angle no less. How long did it take for you to get up there?

Cuong
    Thanks, Cuong. Didn't take long at all. (see below)
    Richard wrote: »
    Terrific shots, Joel. Very impressive. clap.gif
    Thanks, Richard!
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Holy Cow! Nice positioning there. The water level looks very low, doesn't it? Is the old road over the dam still open to the public?
    Thanks, David. The old road is open to tourist traffic only. It doesn't go through. I haven't been on it yet since the bridge was open, so I'm not sure exactly how they have it gated or otherwise stop you from going through.
    WillCAD wrote: »
    Actually, I believe it took about 6 years.
    Thanks, Will. That sounds about right. We've been waiting a long time for this.
    edited March 7, 2011
    As to how I positioned myself for the shots, meet my friend Charlie. :D

1207994961_MnKaj-XL-3.jpg
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2011
    Those are cool shots Joel. Do they allow fly overs? I thought for security purposes they wouldn't allow it. #2 is my fave. Lots of detail and stuff to see. :)
    edited March 7, 2011
    Eia wrote: »
    Those are cool shots Joel. Do they allow fly overs? I thought for security purposes they wouldn't allow it. #2 is my fave. Lots of detail and stuff to see. :)
    Thanks, Eia. They don't really allow fly-overs, and we didn't. Those pics were shot from further away than they look. I think we were at 6,000' or higher, and quite a distance away. That top shot is at 190mm on a crop body camera. I'm diggin' my new 70-200 F2.8 MKII. The resolution is just amazing.
    edited March 7, 2011
    I'm green with envy, Kdog. I've only been you your part of the country once, in April 2009, but I fell in love with the place and hope to come back. Heck, when the economy finally recovers (assuming I'm not too old by then), I would actually like to live out there for a couple of years.

The day I spent at Hoover Dam, taking pics of the dam and bridge construction and surrounding area, was one of the best in my memory. The place was so beautiful, I didn't want to leave.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2011
    Man, you are living the dream. A flyby of that location....sweet shots.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited March 7, 2011
    kdog wrote: »

And here I was thinking, "I wonder how far up Joel had to hike...I'd never do that." I feel much better now. Shows how little I know about the geography there. rolleyes1.gif
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2011
    Terrific shots, Joel. I'm half surprised that, in this reactionary world, the boys on the ground didn't send a couple of ground-to-air missiles your way....even if you were at a distance. I'm only being about half facetious.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2011
    Great perspective, thanks for taking the effort, best shot I'lve ever seen of both bridge and dam.
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2011
    kdog wrote: »

1207994961_MnKaj-M-3.jpg
    Cheater!!! deal.gif :nono

But really cool shots in any event. I really like the second one.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2011
    Amazing shots. Really like them, although the helicopter is cheating. I am thinking it might be worth getting a helicopter tour next time I am in Vegas.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
    edited March 7, 2011
    Eia wrote: »
    Thanks, Eia! It technically wasn't a fly-over because we were off to the side. Charlie's pretty conservative, so I'm sure we were well outside any restricted zone.
    I'm green with envy, Kdog. I've only been you your part of the country once, in April 2009, but I fell in love with the place and hope to come back. Heck, when the economy finally recovers (assuming I'm not too old by then), I would actually like to live out there for a couple of years.

The day I spent at Hoover Dam, taking pics of the dam and bridge construction and surrounding area, was one of the best in my memory. The place was so beautiful, I didn't want to leave.
    Hey Will, I'm real glad to be here, believe me. Having grown up on the east coast, it was my dream to live in the southwest at some point. It's everything I hoped it would be, and more. nod.gif
    bryanj87 wrote: »
    Man, you are living the dream. A flyby of that location....sweet shots.
    Thanks, Bryan. See my comments above to Will. I'm from Mass, and believe me, I thank the great spirit every day I'm here in Arizona.
    Richard wrote: »
    And here I was thinking, "I wonder how far up Joel had to hike...I'd never do that." I feel much better now. Shows how little I know about the geography there. rolleyes1.gif
    Haha, no worries, Richard. If I'd seen those shots and didn't know, I'd probably be wandering all over that area myself looking for that spot to shoot in. rolleyes1.gif Seriously, that perspective is funky. The foreground could be right in front of you. nod.gif
    Terrific shots, Joel. I'm half surprised that, in this reactionary world, the boys on the ground didn't send a couple of ground-to-air missiles your way....even if you were at a distance. I'm only being about half facetious.

Tom
    Thanks, Tom! I hear ya, and think Charlie has a sixth sense about staying out of harms way. You know they say about pilots -- there are good pilots and dead pilots. :wow
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    Great perspective, thanks for taking the effort, best shot I'lve ever seen of both bridge and dam.
    Thanks, Doug! That's high praise indeed. bowdown.gif
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2011
    Very cool! I was there 4 years ago when they were pouring the piers.
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2011
    Great looking shots Joel!!
    edited March 8, 2011
    jdryan3 wrote: »
    Cheater!!! deal.gif :nono

But really cool shots in any event. I really like the second one.

Haha, thanks, David. I'd rather cheat than not get the shot. :D

So you like the wider angle shot, eh? I thought you were a details guy. mwink.gif
    edited March 8, 2011
    Amazing shots. Really like them, although the helicopter is cheating. I am thinking it might be worth getting a helicopter tour next time I am in Vegas.
    Thanks, Benn! I guess I didn't cheat then, because it was actually a small airplane, not a chopper. :D The helicopter tour looks pretty cool, although I don't know anyone who's done it.
    TreyHoff wrote: »
    Very cool! I was there 4 years ago when they were pouring the piers.
    Thanks, Trey. Yeah, I remember them pouring those piers, and then building the supporting arch. It was a very slow process and seemed like they'd never get it done.

Most folks have seen this shot, but I'll post in anyway for folks that might not have been around back then.

July 11, 2009. They had just installed the last piece of the connecting arch, and a welder is connecting the rebar. That red trail is the welding sparks.
    588913960_bB4Am-XL.jpg
    edited March 8, 2011
    I always loved that pic.
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2011
    Good stuff thumb.gif
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2011
    Joel, I especially like the second shot. Great way to get the perfect angle, too! Best, Pam
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2011
    What a contrast between the landscape and the man-made stuff!

As impressive as man's effort are......the landscape still humbles it.

Extra neat goodness here, Joel.thumb.gif

Dam Nice!
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2011
    Very VERY cool shots. The first shot looks like a miniature! :D

Cheers,
    edited March 9, 2011
    grimace wrote: »
    Great looking shots Joel!!
    Thanks, Adam!
    I always loved that pic.
    Thanks a bunch, Will. I have that hanging on 20x30 metal in my home entry way.
    Good stuff thumb.gif
    Thanks, Dan. Glad you like 'em.
    PGM wrote: »
    Joel, I especially like the second shot. Great way to get the perfect angle, too! Best, Pam
    Thanks, Pam. Another vote for the wide-angle. You can't beat the scenery there, the more the better I guess.
    Ric Grupe wrote: »
    What a contrast between the landscape and the man-made stuff!

As impressive as man's effort are......the landscape still humbles it.

Extra neat goodness here, Joel.thumb.gif

Dam Nice!

Thanks, Ric! Funny video. We've been talking about that "Dam traffic" for years around here. mwink.gif
    shniks wrote: »
    Very VERY cool shots. The first shot looks like a miniature! :D

Cheers,
    Thanks, Nikhil. Good to see you around.

Cheers,
    -joel