Options

IS mechanism Noise

Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
edited March 8, 2011 in Cameras
My 70-200 2.8 IS ii makes noise when IS is working which is normal noise. But i recently noticed it makes loud noise when IS stops working, when i half press shutter release then i can hear IS motor sound when there is slightest movement... then if i take my finger away without pushing release all the way there is loud noise from lens like something has settled inside it, but it sounds like something is struggling inside lens, which is only audible in quiet environment ... i think it is normal but i dont know why i wanted to post a thread :scratch

It focuses well, IS working great no other issue
Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,830 moderator
    edited February 28, 2011
    If you could possibly record the sound for us to hear ...
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    The death of a Canon IS unit goes something like this, I've killed 4. Day 1 you never hear the Gyro and it works perfectly. Some day between day 2 and 8months to 3 years of use, you notice the sound that they gyro is making, and probably HAS been making for some time. Then you notice it every time it starts up. Shortly after it starts going k'chunk (depending on how often you shoot) you'll see the viewfinder buzz occasionally, not terrible but noticeable. This may persist for some time, I've had one that occasionally buzzed for a year before it went. Once it starts buzzing every 5-10 accuations, it will shortly need to be turned off to use the lens. Then it is 250 bucks (US) to replace the IS and you are in love with your lens again.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    Yikes.............................
    I will try to record sound and post up. But my friend who owns IS lens checked my lens and says it is normal.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    My Nikon makes a loud "click" when the VR shuts off. Does it sound anything like that?
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    My Nikon 200mm f2 makes some noise when activating/deactivating sometimes. Cant say about Canon noise but there is some action ivolved in there somewhere. Does the IS seem to be working OK. Picture quality suffereing?
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2011
    Just wanted to chime in and note that I just got my 17-55 EF-S IS back from canon and the IS replacement/tightening/factory spec'ing service was ONLY 129 last time it was north of 225.
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2011
    Blurmore wrote: »
    Just wanted to chime in and note that I just got my 17-55 EF-S IS back from canon and the IS replacement/tightening/factory spec'ing service was ONLY 129 last time it was north of 225.

Mmm... that's quite a bit of CA! (charging aberration!)rolleyes1.gif

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2011
    NeilL wrote: »
    Mmm... that's quite a bit of CA! (charging aberration!)rolleyes1.gif

Neil

Yes, contrary to most reviews which say that CA on that lens in very well controlled...