Options

Max Cable Length

rickprickp Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
edited March 15, 2011 in Accessories
Hey guys,
What's the max recommended cable length when connecting a camera to a computer with a USB cable?

Thanks
R.
Canon 5DMk II | 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM | 24-105mm f4.0 IS USM | 85mm f1.8 prime.

Comments

• Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2011
    rickp wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    What's the max recommended cable length when connecting a camera to a computer with a USB cable?

Thanks
    R.

USB 2.0 spec sez 5 metres (16.4 feet).

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2011
    That's what I found too. I just wanted to make sure that there's not issues with video or stills. I read something about high speed communications and other types.

R.
  • Options
    DeaconDeacon Registered Users Posts: 239 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2011
    You can get in line booster as well
    Deacon
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2011
    Deacon,
    Really?? That's good to know. Thanks

R.
  • Options
    ImageX PhotographyImageX Photography Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2011
    Hey guys,

Thanks
    R.

If you want to go extreme distances, the way to do it is with with Cat5 cable. I have a 75ft run and it works as if it was on a 6ft USB cable. Just pick up a set of these and whatever length of Cat5 you need.

http://www.amazon.com/over-Cat5-Extension-Cable-Adapter/dp/B002WJ9S6Y/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1299982851&sr=1-10
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2011
    I'd do a little more research on that Cat 5 thing. I quote from the ad:
    Note: the distance and adapters may affect the performance of some devices down to USB 1.1 speed
    Unless you include an in-line booster, I'd be very wary of any USB cable combo over 16 ft long.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2011
    Yeah but Cat5 cable is a network cable not USB cable. It's a whole different thing for what I want to do. I want to connect my SLR to my Mac running LR.

R.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2011
    Yeah but Cat5 cable is a network cable not USB cable. It's a whole different thing for what I want to do. I want to connect my SLR to my Mac running LR.

R.

Network cable/USB cable? Uh, correct me if I am wrong, but they both contain wire, most prob copper but perhaps even Aluminum, and they must flow current a given distance without degradation of signal, which is what inherently, they do: degrade.

Just saying...
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2011
    Here's a quote from Wikipedia that says what a lot of other articles say in more and greater technical language:
    Maximum Cable Length
    The maximum length of a standard USB cable (for USB 2.0 or earlier) is 5 metres (16.4 ft).<SUP id=cite_ref-faq_33-0 class=reference>[34]</SUP> The primary reason for this limit is the maximum allowed round-trip delay of about 1,500 ns. If USB host commands are unanswered by the USB device within the allowed time, the host considers the command lost. When adding USB device response time, delays from the maximum number of hubs added to the delays from connecting cables, the maximum acceptable delay per cable amounts to 26 ns.<SUP id=cite_ref-faq_33-1 class=reference>[34]</SUP> The USB 2.0 specification requires cable delay to be less than 5.2 ns per meter (192,000 km/s, which is close to the maximum achievable transmission speed for standard copper cable).<SUP id=cite_ref-34 class=reference>[35]</SUP> This allows for a five meter cable. The USB 3.0 standard does not directly specify a maximum cable length, requiring only that all cables meet an electrical specification. For copper wire cabling, some calculations have suggested a maximum length of perhaps 3 m.
    John :
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2011
    I THINK the in-line booster things are almost like repeaters, in that they don't just boost the signal, but reply to the original host, then re-send the signal down the line. That process, which is WAY beyond my understanding, is what allows the rig to seemingly get around the 1500 ns limit. You are essentially getting multiple 1500 ns "relays."
    John :
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2011
    Icebear wrote: »
    I'd do a little more research on that Cat 5 thing. I quote from the ad:
    Note: the distance and adapters may affect the performance of some devices down to USB 1.1 speed
    Unless you include an in-line booster, I'd be very wary of any USB cable combo over 16 ft long.

I can control a camera at 75ft with Cat5 with USB adapters and get flawless performance.... for very little money. Cat 5 or Cat 6 is the way to control a camera over extreme distances. 150ft? No problem.

nik9973.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2011
    If it works . . . it works! mwink.gif
    John :
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    I can control a camera at 75ft with Cat5 with USB adapters and get flawless performance.... for very little money. Cat 5 or Cat 6 is the way to control a camera over extreme distances. 150ft? No problem.

nik9973.jpg

Cool!

How is battery life in the camera when doing tethered capture. When I have played with mine, I was either using low batteries to start with or it seemed to suck the life out of the camera battery pretty fast. For some events I can see some huge benefit to doing this if camera battery life is not effected.
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2011
    I had NO idea you could do that, use cat5 with USB adapters. great info thank you.

R
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    I can control a camera at 75ft with Cat5 with USB adapters and get flawless performance.... for very little money. Cat 5 or Cat 6 is the way to control a camera over extreme distances. 150ft? No problem.]

Could you be talked out of schematic?

Thanx
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited March 14, 2011
    Zerodog wrote: »
    Cool!

How is battery life in the camera when doing tethered capture. When I have played with mine, I was either using low batteries to start with or it seemed to suck the life out of the camera battery pretty fast. For some events I can see some huge benefit to doing this if camera battery life is not effected.

Shooting tethered does suck battery. If you are in studio, use an a/c adapter, or keep a spare battery on a charger. Spare batteries are usually cheepah than a/c adapters, and are one less cord to trip over.
    John :
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2011
    I had NO idea you could do that, use cat5 with USB adapters. great info thank you.

R

No problem. It works great and is a much cheaper option!

Zerodog wrote: »
    Cool!

I haven't shot tethered for more than an hour straight and didn't pay much attention to the battery life. I would have to agree with others that it is much shorter when shooting tethered... especially if your saving the images to PC/Mac.
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Could you be talked out of schematic?

Thanx

You may find more info here.

http://www.usconverters.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69&products_id=243
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited March 15, 2011
    You will note that the specs say that the rig is "Compliant with USB 1.1"
    John :
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2011
    Icebear wrote: »
    You will note that the specs say that the rig is "Compliant with USB 1.1"

That means it is fully compatible with a DSLR USB port. thumb.gif