Options

Is there a tool to add picture to smugmug from another website?

huseyinhuseyin Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
edited March 18, 2011 in SmugMug Support
I am looking for a way to grab the image that's in one website and cross-upload it to my smugmug. Maybe a little dropbox on desktop or a firefox plugin like "grab this to smugmug". So whenever I see something I like, I can grab that picture and send it to my personal folder in smugmug.

I thought Fireuploader should do this, but it doesn't. It wants the picture to be on desktop first. I tried to drag the picture directly from a website to FireUploader Dropbox, but it didn't work.
My smugmug still under construction & organization with 17,000 images and counting... meanwhile check my Flickr

Comments

• Options
    PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2011
    There is a tool called Smugglr that will help you to transfer your photos from other photo websites to Smugmug.

But I extremely doubt if there is a tool that will allow you to add arbitrary photos from websites to your Smugmug account. That would be theft.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2011
    Why would it be theft? How different is it from saving the image to your computer.
    I can use smugmug as depository of cool pictures I find online.
    My smugmug still under construction & organization with 17,000 images and counting... meanwhile check my Flickr
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2011
    huseyin wrote: »
    Why would it be theft? How different is it from saving the image to your computer.
    I can use smugmug as depository of cool pictures I find online.
    Do you have the rights to display those pictures online that are copyrighted by another site/person?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2011
    Who said anything about displaying?
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2011
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2011
    Who said anything about displaying?

What are you going to do with it in your Smugmug account, if someone isn't going to look at it?
    Just because imageshack provides this tool does not mean you're allowed to upload images to your account that you don't own or have rights for.

Do you understand the concept of copyrighted images that you don't have the right to use?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2011
    I use smugmug as backup/offsite location to keep all my pictures safe. I don't use smugmug like most of you use - to display pictures you take or sell them.
    I am planning to pick a few select pictures and display them once I am done uploading all my own pictures. I guess I am not the only one using smugmug as remote backup site.

Once again, just because we use smugmug it doesn't mean all stored pictures are for display.

The question was if there was a tool to do this. If there is not, please do not assume there isn't in order to prevent copyright infringement, and start lecturing about how we cannot use others' pictures. If I am a Smugmug Power user, I guess I would know about copyright ethics. Additionally there is something called creative commons, and loyalty-free stock photography. I won't go into discussion of using versus stealing.
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2011
    I don't know if I recall this working or not, but I know on some other applications, you can paste a url in the File-->Open dialog box and it downloads the file and opens it. I haven't tried this with all the SM uploaders, but I recall it working on one of them. Worth a try. thumb.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2011
    Thanks Samir,
    I can try that. Instead, collecting pictures in a small folder and uploading them later would also be a similar route, since you would have to start an uploader application anyway.

For my uploads, I am using [Send to SmugMug] from desktop, so pasting URL won't work in this case. I will just drag the picture to desktop, then use send to SM.