Comments

• Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2004
    Shakey wrote:
    Replace Entry #2 Harold with...
    Title :Any Step will do

Tim5080777-S.jpg

As much as i like this one (good job in PS by the way!) i'm kind of sorry to see you've replaced Harold! I liked that one very much..
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2004
    Park Walker

5101634-M.jpg

Father N Son

5101633-L.jpg
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    Park Walker

Father N Son
    I love the father and son greap....:D
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2004
    Camden Lock
    5134337-L.jpg
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2004
    *** Challenge 14 now closed ***
    Andy is out of town for a few days (ultra secret spy mission I hear). So he asked me to close the challenge for him (or am I Andy masquerading as Shay??). So consider this challenge officially terminated!

I am sure there is probably a more appropriate Klingon way to end this, but my Star Trek language learning CD is still being shipped (when will it ever get here?!?!)

Anyway, while I wait for that CD, I will setup the voting thread in the next few minutes (or whatever you Earth people call a voting thread now).

:-)
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2004
    Andy is out of town for a few days (ultra secret spy mission I hear). So he asked me to close the challenge for him (or am I Andy masquerading as Shay??). So consider this challenge officially terminated!

I am sure there is probably a more appropriate Klingon way to end this, but my Star Trek language learning CD is still being shipped (when will it ever get here?!?!)

Anyway, while I wait for that CD, I will setup the voting thread in the next few minutes (or whatever you Earth people call a voting thread now).

:-)
    I thought we had until the end of today. Here is what is says in Andy's opening post:
    the contest runs until june 15th.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 14, 2004
    me too. I just checked the "photo challenges" general thread though, and for sure, its noon nyc time. drats, i had some good ones from this weekend too!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited June 14, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    me too. I just checked the "photo challenges" general thread though, and for sure, its noon nyc time. drats, i had some good ones from this weekend too!
    I just looked at Andy's opening post, which says it runs until June 15, didn't check the fine print. Please clarify.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2004
    Always read the fine print!
    rutt wrote:
    I just looked at Andy's opening post, which says it runs until June 15, didn't check the fine print. Please clarify.
    The modified rules state in part:
    1. contests will start on thursdays, and run for roughly eleven days, ending on a monday at 12noon nyc time. the purpose of this is so that you folks will have two weekends in which to create your prize winning photographs.

And since I am on a harsh Klingon kick, I will enforce this with cruel severity!

Phasers on stun, take no prisoners.....arrrghghghghghghghg
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2004
    yep ... they end on mondays at noon see here:
    The modified rules state in part:
    1. contests will start on thursdays, and run for roughly eleven days, ending on a monday at 12noon nyc time. the purpose of this is so that you folks will have two weekends in which to create your prize winning photographs.

And since I am on a harsh Klingon kick, I will enforce this with cruel severity!

Phasers on stun, take no prisoners.....arrrghghghghghghghg

mondays at noon
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2004
    Rutt ,I hope you did'nt get caught holding your best photo's till the end :-(.

Tim
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2004
    Shakey wrote:
    Rutt ,I hope you did'nt get caught holding your best photo's till the end :-(.

Tim
    Yeah, that's just what happend. Last night I was trying to narrow it down, then I checked the opening post of the thread and thought "gee, I can stew on it for an extra day". So I did. I guess I'm easily confused.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Yeah, that's just what happend. Last night I was trying to narrow it down, then I checked the opening post of the thread and thought "gee, I can stew on it for an extra day". So I did. I guess I'm easily confused.

ahh jeez -- i'm really sorry.

i did put it in red to try to highlight it. i'm sorry that the opening post doesn't have it right. i'll fix in the future.
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2004
    andy wrote:
    ahh jeez -- i'm really sorry.

i did put it in red to try to highlight it. i'm sorry that the opening post doesn't have it right. i'll fix in the future.
    No real harm done. I had a blast shooting for this assignment and I'm looking forward to the next one. The real goal is to improve as photographers, right? And I really feel that happened for me this time.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2004
    right on, rutt ... and please ...
    rutt wrote:
    No real harm done. I had a blast shooting for this assignment and I'm looking forward to the next one. The real goal is to improve as photographers, right? And I really feel that happened for me this time.

please do post your entries anyhow, so i and the others can see them?

thanks very much.
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2004
    andy wrote:
    please do post your entries anyhow, so i and the others can see them?

thanks very much.
    You've seen them in other threads. I would probably have substituted one of the "play" images for the girl with the green hair and used a the out at third from the "Comeback!" story and finally I would have used this image:

5113237-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ondrovicondrovic Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited June 14, 2004
    Banjo Man
    I shot this Saturday at a community singing in my adopted neighborhood of Benham, KY.
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2004
    I love this one...

5113237-L.jpg[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2004
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2004
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2004
    honorable mention - gubbs - village station
    gubbs wrote:
    4868615-L-2.jpg

gubbs, i dig this shot, i really do. it was *this* close to being a finalist clap.gif

i think that the blown areas were just a bit too blown, and i found myself distracted by them rather than enticed by them. i love the action, the mood, and the subjects. nice compo, too.
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2004
    Sandy wrote:

i felt that the toning was too reddish/rusty, and detracted. also, the parental hand was very big and takes up a lot of space, also distracting me.
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2004
    humungus - ziggy
    i couldn't find a focal point here. unsupported by your caption, i'd not know what i was looking at. i think this image could benefit from more of ziggy showing, and more of the surroundings.
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2004
    damon - shadow face
    this image was very dark to me, and i struggled with it. i love the shadow face part but the rest got me confused. maybe you can make a portrait orientation out of just the left side?
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2004
    ginger - child in the surf
    a cool shot but the extreme crop and central compo threw me. wasn't as strong as your finalist entry.
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2004
    ginger - the cat lady
    andy wrote:
    a cool shot but the extreme crop and central compo threw me. wasn't as strong as your finalist entry.

not as strong as your finalist entry. also, it just seemed overdone to me. the blur is very hard to do naturally. i know how much work you put into this one, jus think about how much you learned for the next time!
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2004
    honorable mention - rutt - green haired girl
    i liked the portrait. nice compo, really sharp, and i liked the catchlights in her eyes.
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2004
    shakey - walking away
    tim, this is an engaging shot. i'd like some breathing room in the compo to the left of the man. also, if he could be brought up exposure wise just some, i think i'd have been much more engaged in the scene.
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2004
    gypsy - motorcylcle rally and hank williams
    the rally shot was a bit touristy for me. great for the scrapbook but i didn't feel it was as strong as the other entries. hank is great, honorable mention for this one, lovely compo and shot overall. edged out by your finalist.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2004
    What do I do re blur next time?
    andy wrote:
    not as strong as your finalist entry. also, it just seemed overdone to me. the blur is very hard to do naturally. i know how much work you put into this one, jus think about how much you learned for the next time!
    Thanks for the explanations, Andy. Yes, I put a lot of work in that shot, but I put a lot more work in on a baptism shot of a man holding his baby. His wife died in childbirth. I worked on that all Sunday afternoon and all day yesterday. Had books open the whole thing. Beautiful baby, didn't have to touch her at all, but the man looked like, well he had huge circles under his eyes, they were swollen and I even removed what looked like bloodshot. I wanted it to be nice, and I think it is. No one told me he was going to be there.

Now, on The Cat Lady, I answered your explanation, as I really, honestly want to know what I learned. Not to blur so much? What do you think the criteria is for blur, because I struggled with it in my mind, before I settled on an obliterated background.

The kid probably, to me, just wasn't as strong. I would have done the same thing again with her. I will center things, if I get a real chance. Also, I crop most things very tight. That would be a big problem if anyone ever ordered anything from me. They would end up with a significant part of the picture gone. Geez, I have been trying....... I know that problem, but it has been kind of my trademark for years. I crop in the camera in the spur of the moment, too. Sometimes I couldn't do anything if I wanted.

But The Cat Lady, should she have been less blurred. (No one noticed that until I did her over, for the last time, a huge part of the cat, a giant leg, was missing. Funny.)

ginger, and on the cat lady and the blur????? Next time?? I do think you picked a good picture from me. I have never done one like that before. It was a straight shot, and I think it is very good.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.