Options

Smugmug CSS Changes & No advance warning. Question:

flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
edited September 4, 2005 in SmugMug Support
Hello,

I guess i'm not the only one who has been complaining about it, but i'd like to know why the changes in generated-HTML/CSS are coming without any warning. I did not get any notification/e-mail/etc. I like the changes itself, but the fact that they are not announced is a little frustrating to me (i'm still very much busy setting up my site), but very frustrating for others.

Please, smugmug,
1- send out an e-mail at least a week in advance when changes are due.
2- send out a document (link to html-page) detailing those changes. This will prevent pro- and power-users from wading through all the messages on dgrin trying to fix their pages.
3- A nice touch would be to set up a staging area that is valid for a week. The staging area would allow users to change/update/fix their site; their current site is still running as is; and allows them to publish their staging area when their updated/new site is ready.

I think the first 2 points are not too much to ask for... it's common software engineer practices. :): It may prevent losing some customers....

I'm complaining here a bit, but i still love smugmug. Keep up the good work, but improve some of your processes. :thumb

Thanks!
-- Anton.
I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
in two billion years,
all I can think is:
    "Will that be on a Monday?"
==========================
http://www.streetsofboston.com
http://blog.antonspaans.com

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited September 3, 2005
    Hello,

I guess i'm not the only one who has been complaining about it, but i'd like to know why the changes in generated-HTML/CSS are coming without any warning. I did not get any notification/e-mail/etc. I like the changes itself, but the fact that they are not announced is a little frustrating to me (i'm still very much busy setting up my site), but very frustrating for others.

Please, smugmug,
    1- send out an e-mail at least a week in advance when changes are due.
    2- send out a document (link to html-page) detailing those changes. This will prevent pro- and power-users from wading through all the messages on dgrin trying to fix their pages.
    3- A nice touch would be to set up a staging area that is valid for a week. The staging area would allow users to change/update/fix their site; their current site is still running as is; and allows them to publish their staging area when their updated/new site is ready.

I think the first 2 points are not too much to ask for... it's common software engineer practices. :): It may prevent losing some customers....

I'm complaining here a bit, but i still love smugmug. Keep up the good work, but improve some of your processes. thumb.gif

Thanks!
    -- Anton.
    15524779-Ti.gif I think your first two points are spot on. While regular readers of Dgrin may be aware of upcoming changes, but I'm sure that a considerable number of Smugmug members do not use Dgrin at all. It is also likely that a considerable number of non-techie Dgrin members only look at the more technical postings after they get into trouble and thus are unaware of upcoming changes.

Smugmug has everyone's email address, so a mass-mailing should not be any problem. It would also be nice to have better documentation in advance of changes. As a former techie, I can wade through a style sheet or search through Dgrin postings and eventually find the magic words I need to make the changes I want. But I shouldn't have to go to all that work. I would gladly RTFM if only there were one. :D

I also agree with your third point about providing a staging area to test changes, both Smugmug's and our own. This would be a fantastic improvement. thumb.gif

Regards,
  • Options
    rich56krich56k Registered Users Posts: 547 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2005
    I Agree With Both Of You !!
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif I think your first two points are spot on. While regular readers of Dgrin may be aware of upcoming changes, but I'm sure that a considerable number of Smugmug members do not use Dgrin at all. It is also likely that a considerable number of non-techie Dgrin members only look at the more technical postings after they get into trouble and thus are unaware of upcoming changes.

Smugmug has everyone's email address, so a mass-mailing should not be any problem. It would also be nice to have better documentation in advance of changes. As a former techie, I can wade through a style sheet or search through Dgrin postings and eventually find the magic words I need to make the changes I want. But I shouldn't have to go to all that work. I would gladly RTFM if only there were one. :D

I also agree with your third point about providing a staging area to test changes, both Smugmug's and our own. This would be a fantastic improvement. thumb.gif

Regards,
    I agree with both of you,
    on all of your points!
    rich56k thumb.gif
    http://HooliganUnderground.com
    Member: ASMP; EP; NPPA; CPS
  • Options
    FrancoisFrancois Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2005
    Since I'm a Flying Dutchie too, this caught my eye .

I have received an email warning of changes for EVERY change so far, several days in advance. Do we not ALL get these warnings then????

--- I agree with the remark about the non-techie users.... although I use Dgrin from time to time, tinkering with CSS and html is not really my main interest, making photos IS ! . But, it is now part of our daily lives on the Internet I suppose.

Groetjes,
    François
    Francois A. Dumas
    Founder
    Silver Cloud Publishing
    fssupport.smugmug.com
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2005
    In your Account Settings, make sure that in your Mail option, you have turned on "smugmug news."
    Francois wrote:
    tinkering with CSS and html is not really my main interest, making photos IS ! rolleyes1.gif . But, it is now part of our daily lives on the Internet I suppose.

Learning how to edit web pages doesn't have to be part of our daily lives. We trade off convenience for complexity. I could have signed up with other photo sites that didn't have such a long list of customizable elements to learn and maintain, where they take care of everything. But part of the reason I'm on smugmug is that I like the fact that they give me all those options and so much control.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited September 4, 2005
    colourbox wrote:
    In your Account Settings, make sure that in your Mail option, you have turned on "smugmug news."
    Thanks for pointing this out. thumb.gif I had news turned off. Force of habit I suppose. I always decline news offers to avoid spam. I trust Smugmug to live up to its no-spam promise, though, so I switched it on.
  • Options
    flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2005
    colourbox wrote:

Learning how to edit web pages doesn't have to be part of our daily lives. We trade off convenience for complexity. I could have signed up with other photo sites that didn't have such a long list of customizable elements to learn and maintain, where they take care of everything. But part of the reason I'm on smugmug is that I like the fact that they give me all those options and so much control.
    I have all the e-mail settings but the 'upload status' and 'statistics' on. But i did not get any warning e-mail message...... :( Ah well.. :)
    -- Anton.
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com