Options

Canon G12 Point and Shoot

YergiYergi Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited April 22, 2011 in Cameras
So, I have the wants. I want a G12 point and shoot. I see this as a good carry around camera with the ability to do off camera flash and full manual shooting. The dials are the same controls as full size canon DSLR's.

Anyone have any thoughts about this camera?
Sinner in need of THE Savior. Shooting photo since 6/1/10. Video 24 mos before that. That to say, i (formally) know nothing, please leave out nothing. (2) 1dMkII, G-12, 200 F1.8, 24-70 F2.8. (2) 430Ex2, 430Ex http://www.GunDogFilms.com

Comments

• Options
    knapphknapph Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2011
    While I do not have the G12, I have a G9, I have found the G9 is a bit large to easily carry around like a P&S camera. I recently got a smaller camera as my keep with me all the time camera. So, put your hands on the G12, put it in your pocket, and see if you think you can live with it on a carry around basis. If it feels a bit large, take a look at the S95 or something similar in size.
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2011
    The G12 is the highest-end P&S from Canon.

I would hold one first. If it's too big for you, I think the S95 is the same internals in a smaller body.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2011
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    Tim SnowTim Snow Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2011
    I have a G11 I use as my hiking camera when I don't feel like lugging my "real" camera gear, and so far so good!
    I wrote about my experiences over here: http://newwindworkshops.com/2010/08/09/the-power-of-a-point-and-shoot-the-canon-g11-takes-a-hike/
    Feel free to ask any questions you may have!
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2011
    Thanks guys,

I think you talked me out of one. Doesn't seem to have a real up-side to it.
    Sinner in need of THE Savior. Shooting photo since 6/1/10. Video 24 mos before that. That to say, i (formally) know nothing, please leave out nothing. (2) 1dMkII, G-12, 200 F1.8, 24-70 F2.8. (2) 430Ex2, 430Ex http://www.GunDogFilms.com
  • Options
    billythekbillythek Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2011
    Yergi wrote: »
    Thanks guys,

I think you talked me out of one. Doesn't seem to have a real up-side to it.

Depends on what you are looking for. It is a pretty decent compact camera. But there are other options.

I have a G12 that I got to take to a music festival. But it doesn't really compare to my 5D2, and I really wasn't using it that much, so I ended up giving it to my son.

I really like the metal dials on the top of the camera. The plastic dial on the back is a little flimsy.

The low light performance is supposed to be better than some other compacts. But coming from the 5D2, I wasn't impressed. Guess I'm spoiled.

The S95 is worth a look, if you really need a small camera.
    - Bill
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited April 1, 2011
    I bought an S95 a while ago for the wife and I for the less photo-intensive adventures and where I didn't need or want a dSLR with me. Small, very pocketable, and has the same picture quality (almost) of a larger dSLR. I would really prefer a G12 for its more advanced features and better grip, but the S is better for her, and at half the size and weight of the G12, the picture quality is equal. But I would never try to talk anyone out of the G series, as it is more like a dSLR - as long as the form factor isn't a problem. Either are perfect as a second or third camera. And they both shoot RAW.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    dantambokdantambok Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2011
    If size and weight is not an issue, take the g12.
    Other than that, i think the s95 performs just as well.
    Canon 7D, 450D, 50mm 1.8, 50mm 1.2, Mp-e 65mm, 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, Canon 100mm f/2.8L macro IS USM, 580exII, some sigma lenses:D
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2011
    Picked up the g-12 today. The seller got it as a prize. Came with a 4GB Sandisk card and a Canon case for $350. The stickers were still on the camera and it came with the full retail box. Pretty pumped. I want the hotshoe and that was the deciding factor for the G-12 over the S95. I will report back.

Thanks for your guys help.
  • Options
    adi_190adi_190 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited April 7, 2011
    Picked up the g-12 today. The seller got it as a prize. Came with a 4GB Sandisk card and a Canon case for $350. The stickers were still on the camera and it came with the full retail box. Pretty pumped. I want the hotshoe and that was the deciding factor for the G-12 over the S95. I will report back.

Great you did the purchase you really got a nice deal. The camera delivers nice image quality with full manual control perfect choice.
  • Options
    billythekbillythek Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2011

You got a great deal at that price. You should have no trouble getting your money back if you decide to sell it.
    - Bill
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2011
    I love the G12. I needed a camera that would fit in my purse (I have a large purse though and keep it in a case) and still be able to take great photos so I wouldn't feel like I had a terrible camera when my 5D Mk II wasn't with me. For me the G12 fits the bill of being a good on the go camera for my personal needs when I don't feel like bringing the nice bodies with me. I now often travel with only the G12 so I don't have all the extra heavy DSLR weight.
  • Options
    achesleyachesley Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited April 21, 2011
    Received a G12 I bought off ebay a week or so ago. Just the camera I'd been looking for it seems. Easy to hold in the left hand and shoot pictures while riding my bike about the country side. Quick to turn on and take a fast shot before you miss it. Very happy I sold the Rebel XS and bought that one. It's a keeper for what I like to do. Wish it had more zoom as I was use to the 12X of my Minolta when I do stop and take long distance shots. Course the Rebel didn't have any either. Think I'll see about getting the 2X lens set up for it and see how that works for me.
    Any comments on this or advice?
  • Options
    Chuck289Chuck289 Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited April 21, 2011
    Are you securing the camera to yourself in any way when riding?
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2011
    I wouldn't get a 2x lens for it, as that would probably degrade IQ (esp. if it's 3rd party). Then again, it's the only way to get more reach.
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2011
    Chuck289 wrote: »
    Are you securing the camera to yourself in any way when riding?

No, I keep it in my tank bag. When not fixing to do any pictures, inside a ziplock bag till I get to target rich areas.
    IMG_0816.jpg

When getting to traffic or an intersection, I can just put it back in the tankbag very easy and fast. I have the bag lined with a small hand towel for cushion and protection.
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2011
    I wouldn't get a 2x lens for it, as that would probably degrade IQ (esp. if it's 3rd party). Then again, it's the only way to get more reach.

Maybe I just need to keep the Minolta Z6 packed in the bag for those occasions. It takes great pictures, just slow in the focus and getting a picture snapped on the move.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,849 moderator
    edited April 22, 2011
    You might consider a Fujifilm FinePix F300EXR. While the image quality is very nice in good light it's not best in class in low light, but it's still pretty good.

It does have best-in-class AF speed and accuracy due to being the first P&S with Phase Detect AF, very similar to a dSLR AF. The camera also has 15x zoom and a 24mm (equivalent) wide angle capability. IS is sensor-shift type, but functional.

Add in some "trick" modes for low-light, high dynamic range, 360 degree pans (stitched in-camera) and you have a very versatile and take anywhere sort of camera. It's a lot of camera for $200 USD.

http://www.adorama.com/IFJFPF300EXR.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums