Options

Portrait studio lights help

rickprickp Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
edited April 13, 2011 in People
<style>@font-face { font-family: "MS 明朝"; }@font-face { font-family: "Cambria Math"; }@font-face { font-family: "Cambria"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Cambria; }.MsoChpDefault { font-family: Cambria; }div.WordSection1 { page: WordSection1; }</style> A couple of weeks ago I got an AlienBee 1600 light for studio work. I also have a speedlite 580EXII to go along with my 5D2.

Well today was the fist time I got to test things, learn them and get familiar with how to setting them up.
I setup the AB1600 at about 30 -40deg. from the subject and a speedlite 580EXII on a boom as a hairlight. I tried using a reflextor on the opposite side but since I didn't have a person holding it it was a challenge to say the least.

Overall I was not too happy with the results. I felt that the subjects face on the side without the main light still had too much shadows.

So what I’m thinking of doing is using the speedlite for the hair light as a second light to help reduce the shadows on the face and bypass the hair light. How does that solution sound to you guys.??
Is it better to have 2 lights to the front of the subject (at45 deg) as opposed to 1main light (at 30 deg) to the fornt and a hair light.

Thanks
R.
Canon 5DMk II | 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM | 24-105mm f4.0 IS USM | 85mm f1.8 prime.

Comments

• Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2011
    What size was the reflector? At what angle, and how close did you position it to the subject? Was this for a head shot, bust or full body?
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2011
    If you posted the image along with your setup and camera data that would really help.

Sam
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2011
    I had a speedlite over her as a hair light being controlled by a pocketwizard TT1/TT5. I had the AB1600 about 3 feet at a 30 deg angle to her front left set at about 1/16th power. The AB had a 20" beauty dish with a white sock diffuser. I found that if I placed it at more of an angle the shadows on the face were too much.
    I had the camera setup to 1/200 f11 ISO 200

At this point all I was trying to do was get familiar with the gear being that I'm new to this. As you can see the image sucks to say the least, and this is one of the better ones. I was really frustrated with the whole thing and it was by a miracle that everything didn't end up at the bottom of the pool. Laughing.gif!!!

IMG_2154.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2011
    Rick,
    Don't let this get you down. It's not as bad as you think.

When I copied your image and opened it up in PS the color shifted dramatically. There was way less saturation.

The light looks like it's a bit harsh. Try moving it back, and for portraits you could also try a wider aperture. As for shadows, you could try moving the light to say about 45 degrees, and or bounce some fill flash.

I hope you don't mind but here is what I was able to get from your shot.

Sam
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2011
    Hi Sam,
    thanks for reviewing it and helping out.

I tried a smaller aperture and the image was WAY too bright, even with the power all the way down, hence the f11. Still trying to figure that one out.

Also, when I moved the light further to the outside (meaning greater angle to the subject) the shadows on the opposite side of the face were REALLY bad. In these images the light is almost infront of the subject.

I agree I need some fill for that side of the face, no doubt. Since it's just me and I only have a speedlite in addition to the AB I though I would use it for fill instead of a hair light. I think that would solve my issues for the moment. The hair light helps a bit with the shadows but still not good enough IMO. What do you think about that?

Let me ask you, should the main light be looking down on the subject. I tried to get the butterfly shadow just under the nose but was unsuccessful.

HEre is another image. this one had the light at about 45 deg.

IMG_2148.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2011
    rickp wrote: »
    Hi Sam,
    thanks for reviewing it and helping out.

I tried a smaller aperture and the image was WAY too bright, even with the power all the way down, hence the f11. Still trying to figure that one out.

Move the light back. The further back with perhaps more diffusion the softer the light will be, and you will be able to use a smaller aperture.

Also, when I moved the light further to the outside (meaning greater angle to the subject) the shadows on the opposite side of the face were REALLY bad. In these images the light is almost infront of the subject.

I agree I need some fill for that side of the face, no doubt. Since it's just me and I only have a speedlite in addition to the AB I though I would use it for fill instead of a hair light. I think that would solve my issues for the moment. The hair light helps a bit with the shadows but still not good enough IMO. What do you think about that?

With the lights directly in front of your model the light would be at 0 deg. With the light at her side it would be 90 deg. Half way in front would be 45 deg.

Let me ask you, should the main light be looking down on the subject. I tried to get the butterfly shadow just under the nose but was unsuccessful.

I am really hoping Nikolia or others with way more lighting experience will drop by.

Sam
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2011
    Will do.

Yesterday was the first day I got to mess with the lights. I'll have round 2 with them during this week or weekend. I ordered a boom arm for the speedlite. This will give me a boom for the reflector that I have and a boom for the speedlite.

I'm also going to hunt down a mannaquin head so I don't have to put my fiancee through the hassle of her sitting there while I get my head out of my a** with this.

R.
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2011
    I have always found that the larger the light source is and the closer I can get it to my subject, the more flattering the light looks. My first thought would be to use a softbox on your strobe. Barring the availability of a softbox, if you have a reflector that is white but not completely opaque you can try positioning the white reflector close to your subject and directing the light through it. Shooting through a white umbrella can be used for this purpose also. If neither of those are an option, try several layers of white paper towel or tissue paper over the light head held in place by rubber bands etc. This will soften the light and allow you to place the light closer to the subject.

From looking at the light reflection in the subjects eyes and shadows on the face, I personally would be tempted to raise the light a foot or so higher than you have it so it would be aiming down at the subject a bit and then use the reflector on the opposite side a bit below the subject and angled up.

Just some thoughts.
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2011
    Hey Bryce,
    I was able to do a couple of shots shooting the camera with the timer and me holding the reflector and that's how i held it. IMO it was a big difference with the shadows

The strobe has a AB beauty dish with the white sock on it. It was about 3 feet from the subject and at about 1/16 power.

I need to test it with an umbrella (both types) to see the difference too.

At this point I'm still on the fence about hot to use the speedlite, meaning hair light or fill light.

R.
  • Options
    Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2011
    Sam wrote: »
    Move the light back. The further back with perhaps more diffusion the softer the light will be, and you will be able to use a smaller aperture.

I'm sorry but this is wrong.

The farther the light is from the subject, with the same modifier, the harder the light will be because it will appear smaller from the subject's perspective.

Larger light source relative to the subject = Softer light
    Smaller light source relative to the subject = Harder light

Also, if he moved the light farther away, the intensity of the light on the subject would be decreased and he would have to (would be able to) use a *larger* aperture...

I personally like the light on her face in these shots. It's a nice dramatic light with fairly deep shadows. Shadows are great because they reveal the form and shape of your subject. The second shot is pretty much classic "loop lighting." However, you don't seem to be looking for that. So, to fill in the shadows you need to get a lightstand, ladder, chair, or something that you can hang your reflector on that will hold it in place where you need it. You could also sit your subject next to a white wall that will act as a reflector (just to the left of your camera frame) if you have one.

The reason you can only shoot at f/11 is that you have a very powerful light and an efficient modifier. First step is to drop down to lowest power (I think that's 1/32 on the Alienbees, no?) and that will get you to f/8. Lower your ISO to 100 and you'll be down to f/5.6. At that point you'd have to start adding neutral density gels or more layers of diffusion material to the light in order to reduce the power. Yes, you could move it back but then it gets to be a much harder light source and defeats the purpose of using a beauty dish in the first place.

Another option would be to use an umbrella or softbox, or even just bounce the light off a wall or ceiling. These options will make a softer light source (which you seem to be after) and they're less efficent, so you will be able to shoot with a wider aperture. Using an umbrella or bouncing off the wall/ceiling will also have the effect of spreading the light all around the room, filling in the shadows quite a bit, which will take care of that issue. The only drawback is if the room has walls that are not white or close to white. That can introduce a color cast into the image. However, you may be able to do a custom white balance to correct for this.
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2011
    Tim,
    thanks for the feedback, really!

All good points. It's not that I'm trying to get rid of all the shadows, they just seemed a bit excessive to me, but to be honest I have zero experience with this type of photography and setup. This is my very first go at portrait photog. and using this type of lighting. My gauge for what's acceptable is what I've seen on the internet and others work. I guess it's somewhat subjective too, it depends on what one is trying to achieve.

I have a couple of umbrellas that I can setup on the AB1600. I need to educate myself with the different results I can get with different setups.
    I just want to make sure my results aren't WAYYYY off as of right now. From the comments you guys are giving me it sounds as though they are somewhat acceptable or at least I'm on the right track considering.

Let me ask you, if you had to choose hair light or fill light, which would you setup with your second light?
    Is a hair light more of a luxury/artistic look, as opposed to a fill light, which will ensure the image is properly taken/exposed? You know what I mean??

R.
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2011
    Tim,

Thanks for the corrections!!!!

Disclaimer: I did mean to say larger aperture. :D

While I was thinking the AB1600 was too powerful at the 3' distance but moving it back with more diffusion would help.

Your post and explanation was much better!

Sam
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2011
    going along with Tim here, I would also consider getting a few ND gels from a theatrical supply company...they are inexpensive and you can cut them to fit your needs...this should drop the power of the light dramatically and allow your to get larger apertures (down to 2.8 or so) ...... I have just swent from shooting with White Lightning 5000's to Alien Bee 800's and for most of my portrait work the AB800 are being shot around 1/4 to 3/8 power thru an 86 Parabolic Light Modifer....beautiful soft light...at full power were still talking upto F22 at ISO 100.....You will reallly need to get some sort of modifier, Brolly boxes are good and inexpensive, umbrellas are good, softboxes, Paul Buffs PLM system is great and reasonably priced also......
    Can you shoot a pic of the set up ypou ahve been using please...it might help get answers ....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited April 11, 2011
    Let me ask you, if you had to choose hair light or fill light, which would you setup with your second light?
    Is a hair light more of a luxury/artistic look, as opposed to a fill light, which will ensure the image is properly taken/exposed? You know what I mean??

R.

If I was working with your setup I would use the speedlight as a hair light they way you did in these shots, or as a rim light depending on the setup (just lower and more from the side rather than from overhead). That's because I can use reflectors to easily lighten the shadows... using a reflector as a hair light would be a lot harder (probably have to be a mirror too to get enough light back on the hair). You just need something to hold the reflector. I have a round one with a loop on the edge. I usually just hang that from the top of a lightstand and then clamp the bottom to the stand so it stays in place. Very simple.

Of course, you could ditch the reflector and the hairlight if you wanted. There's no rules... when you have a light background or light hair, you don't always need a hairlight for separation. Mix it up and see what you prefer.

You could, of course, use the speedlight for fill if you want... you could even use the AB for fill. Put an umbrella on it and place it behind the camera so it's giving flat light to the scene, and adjust it by itself. This lets you set the level of the darkest shadows (your shot should still be underexposed). Then you could add a bare speedlight with a snoot as a main light. That would give you hard, dramatic lighting but you can control the level of the shadows so the contrast isn't too extreme and the overall result isn't as harsh. Just another look that you could try.

You could also use the AB for main and the speedlight to put a tight "spotlight" effect on the background (which BTW, is very distracting in these shots... I know you're just testing lighting, but figured I'd mention it anyway). Possibilities are endless!
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2011
    Hey Art,
    Yeah I can get you an image of the setup. Give me a couple of days and I'll post it.

The 22" AB beauty dish and white sock (i got the silver beauty dish) I was using also has a direct light blocker. This I did not use during the shoot. I wanted to try the BD without it initially. Do you think that will make a big difference in diffusing the light even more?
    I would have never thought it was TOO powerful, and I was worried about not getting enough juice when I did my research on a strobe light.

R.
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2011
    Tim, thanks again.
    So the hair light should be more on the side? I tried to put it almost on top like you mentioned.
    I have the arm and reflector needed to do the job. What i don't have (will be here Friday) is the boom for the speedlite so I used the relfector boom for that. Hence loosing the ability to hold the reflector. But I know what you mean.

Like I said, I need to try a few different things and see how things turn out.

You lost me with the spotlight comment at the end though. You're saying my shots have that and it's distracting? If so, can you elaborate, because I don't see where that is. Unless you mean on the hair itself.

R.
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2011
    Tim, thanks again.
    So the hair light should be more on the side? I tried to put it almost on top like you mentioned.
    I have the arm and reflector needed to do the job. What i don't have (will be here Friday) is the boom for the speedlite so I used the relfector boom for that. Hence loosing the ability to hold the reflector. But I know what you mean.

Like I said, I need to try a few different things and see how things turn out.

You lost me with the spotlight comment at the end though. You're saying my shots have that and it's distracting? If so, can you elaborate, because I don't see where that is. Unless you mean on the hair itself.

R.

The hair light is fine where you have it, I was just describing more of a "rim light" which is another option. It's also called a "kicker"... just a light to give more defnition and separation, coming from behind, usually to the side of the subject opposite the main light (but not always). It usually hits the hair on that side too, but it's main purpose isn't to light the hair. Just a different thing to try.

I meant that the background you have is distracting, with the big black square and the tile. If you pulled her out away from the background and shot with a wider aperture (by reducing the light from the AB in one of the ways mentioned) it would be much more pleasing.

The spotlight thing was just something you could try as far as lighting the background. Basically zoom your flash as much as it will go and aim it at the wall behind the subject, to give a bright spot behind her head and a gradual falloff to black. To do this she has to be far enough away so that the main light isn't hitting the wall in the background.
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2011
    Art,

Are you using the silver or the white? Also are you going with the larger 86" unit for a larger softer light?

Can you tell me what the difference would be between a soft box and the 86" parabolic umbrella?

Sam
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2011
    Tim,
    Ok I get what you're saying now.

YEah I agree about the square thing on the wall. We shot this in the house so that wall is in the family room and it's part of the fire place. But you're right during a real shoot I would never use that spot just because of that.
    I'm thinking of picking up a mobile background system , they'r not too expensive.
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2011
    I'm thinking of picking up a mobile background system , they'r not too expensive.

Check out the Botero #23, they're pretty nice for anything from headshots to 3/4 length. About $60 at B&H and they come with a white cloth backdrop as an extra. The #23 is gray so you can put a gel on your background light and make it any color you want. It also has a subtle pattern to it that looks good without being distracting. Here's a shot with it where I used a blue gel (unretouched btw, so ignore the flyaway hairs... although this does illustrate why it's often better to use a soft lightsource for your hair light... it greatly minimizes the flyaways and makes for a lot less work in post):

969693562_Sze3F-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    Marcin WuuMarcin Wuu Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited April 12, 2011
    Pardon me for intruding into this interesting discussion, but you all seem to assume that hard light is a no-go for female portrait. Would someone care to elaborate on this? I for one am always for hard light with a touch of reflector light for filling in the shadows...
    I'm a lazy portraitist. I only shoot beautiful women.
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2011
    Marcin Wuu wrote: »
    Pardon me for intruding into this interesting discussion, but you all seem to assume that hard light is a no-go for female portrait. Would someone care to elaborate on this? I for one am always for hard light with a touch of reflector light for filling in the shadows...

Hard light is fine, and a beauty dish is relatively hard light already. But even something like a gridded reflector can be awesome and dramatic. You just need to get the shadows to fall in a pleasing manner. The bad part is that if the person has less than perfect skin, the hard light is going to show every wrinkle, pore, and imperfection and you might be spending a lot of time in post retouching it to make it look flattering. Soft light takes care of that for you.
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2011
    It's interesting you mentioned that Tim.
    So the beauty dish with the sock I'm using would be considered hard light?

My fiancee complained about the points you mentioned. she said she looks bad in the images, that it showed the flaws. (roll eyes)!!!! women!!!!!!

So how can I turn this light into soft light and make it more flattering, an umbrella? I thought beauty dishes where preferred for portraits like these.
  • Options
    Marcin WuuMarcin Wuu Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited April 12, 2011
    hmm... I get what you mean, but about non-flattering effect of hard light - proper makeup usually takes care of a lot of that. And a retouch is a necessary part of any beauty shot anyways. I consider beauty dish too soft even without diffuser. And when you diffuse it, it turns into a kind of round softbox which kinda beats the purpose :)
    Anyways, thats just me and my 3c. I'm not a pro so feel safe to ignore what i say :)
    I'm a lazy portraitist. I only shoot beautiful women.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2011
    Rick, I think you're making this more complicated than it needs to be (three fingers point back at myself - I do that all the time!)

Start slow and figure out what does what, as it were. One light, with a modifier, reflector on the other side. See what happens if you move it closer or further away. The reflector will likely be just out of shot to fill the shadows the way you want. ETA: if you search back a few months, you'll see that Anonymouscuban did this kind of an experiment and posted his results and thoughts - very englightening! thumb.gif

Then, put the light behind and above camera, and use the reflector in front/under your subject (clamshell setup) - see how that works for you as a setup (one of my personal favorites - not necessarily the most "outside the box" lighting, but very flattering, easy to control, and consistent - there's a reason it's used so much!)

THEN when you've kind of decided what you like/want to do with those, try using the speedlight as a hairlight and figure out where you like it. I know that I struggle with hairlights because my space is supersmall and even using multiple diffusers I can't get them turned down low enough to create the kind of "non-light" light I want. I finally found a solution I like, in that I bounced the speedlight at lowest power into the vestibule to the side (side/rear) of the subject, essentially creating a giant softbox, but because it was bounced and superdiffused, it didn't overwpower the way it did when it was pointed at the subject - it acted as hair and gentle fill. Key light is just visible to camera left.

1204727053_WUKuC-M.jpg

Gave this:
    1204745333_8FYwL-L.jpg

ETA: Hard light, eg bare flash, can be AWESOME when used creatively and for a specific dramatic effect. But, in general, soft lighting sources are more consistently flattering, and also have a greater "margin of error" as far as placement to give good results.
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2011
    Marcin Wuu wrote: »
    hmm... I get what you mean, but about non-flattering effect of hard light - proper makeup usually takes care of a lot of that. And a retouch is a necessary part of any beauty shot anyways. I consider beauty dish too soft even without diffuser. And when you diffuse it, it turns into a kind of round softbox which kinda beats the purpose :)
    Anyways, thats just me and my 3c. I'm not a pro so feel safe to ignore what i say :)

Dude, read your signature! :D The thing is, we're not discussing the narrow realm of "beauty shots" here. I now remember your thread with all the old-hollywood style portraits of gorgeous women. I loved all those shots, and they were fantastic. But a lot of us are rarely if ever shooting models and may never have a professional makeup artist along on the shoot. For instance, I shoot senior portraits and weddings mostly. I have to work with all sorts of people with different types of faces and skin. If I have to shoot an older woman or a teenager with acne, I'm definitely not going to reach for a beauty dish (much less a fresnel!) as my first choice, at least not for a tight headshot. I'm going to light them in a way that's as flattering as possible straight out of camera in order to make my job in post easier. Sure, I always retouch the final prints anyway, but using the wrong light can make it take up a lot more of my time. It would be awesome to someday grow my business to the point where I have professional makeup for every senior shoot (I know there are some high end studios that do this) but I'm no where near that point.

I agree about diffusing the beauty dish... you loose the directionality and control that it gives you. However, that only matters if you are looking for that type of light. If what you really want is the same effect as a small softbox, and you already own a beauty dish, well, you might as well just use the diffusion sock and save yourself the money and time of changing modifiers. In this case I think he was mainly using it to eat some light so he didn't have to shoot at f/1000.
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2011
    Yes, I used the sock to diffuse the light and soften it.

This brings up a question that I don't know. Tim, you mentioned not using a beauty dish for a pimple covered teenager, why not? Is the light to hard?
    What modifier is preferred for that? I'm not familiar with different modifiers for different subjects.

R.
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2011
    Yes, I used the sock to diffuse the light and soften it.

This brings up a question that I don't know. Tim, you mentioned not using a beauty dish for a pimple covered teenager, why not? Is the light to hard?
    What modifier is preferred for that? I'm not familiar with different modifiers for different subjects.

R.

The softer the light source, the less it's going to highlight the wrinkles, texture, and imperfections on a person's face. So if I had a subject with bad skin I would go for a large light source, because larger light sources (relative to the subject) are softer. Of course, the sun is the largest light source around, but it's 93 million miles away so it appears to be very small, and thus is a hard source. So distance from the subject matters as well (which is why it has to be larger "relative to the subject" rather than in absolute terms).

But again, there's no one "right way" to do it. I've used hard light on people with less than flawless skin, knowing that I would have to do a lot of retouching, but choosing to do it that way regardless because it was the best method to get the result I wanted (a dramatic photo with deep, hard shadows).
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2011
    Makes sense. let me ask you waht size umbrella would you use with a AB16 for portraits like these? I have one thats about 45" (shoot through) 39" for a bounce.
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2011
    Tim I was curious as well...what did you use for he hair light (modifier) and how close to your subject was it?
    Also curious as I can't find any specs on the Botero #23...what size does it collapse to?

I agree 100 percent on your comment regarding the people that we work with...most don't come with MUAs and stylists so we have to do what we can to minimize post processing.
    Yo soy Reynaldo