Options

Selling to Adorama

Domer HomerDomer Homer Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited April 21, 2011 in Flea Market
Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of selling a camera to Adorama? Adorama is telling me they will pay $510 for my 7 month old T2i(body only) which is in excellent condition w/zero signs of wear. I'm trying to raise funds for a 7D.

Comments

• Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2011
    When you sell to any retailer you're leaving some money on the table. You're paying for the lack of hassle. E-bay takes fees (as does Paypal), Craigslist can sometimes get you scammed, and selling to friends can create a problem if the device breaks in the near future. When you sell to a retailer, they've got to turn around and sell it and make a profit. They can't give you what it's actually worth or they wouldn't make any money.

Adorama is a trustworthy company. So are B&H and KEH, but they're not going to give you the kind of money you're looking for (usually). You've got to decide if it's worth it to you.

And FYI: KEH would offer less than $400 for a LN- T2i.
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2011
    sadly, as much as I love Adorama, what they 'say' over the phone is what often THEY will resell the lens/camera/etc for, NOT what you will get. You will get a 'firm' quote only after the object is in their hands, and it's typically a bit lower.

But if it's something you just haven't time OR are unable to dump entirely, it's worth it.
    //Leah
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2011
    Pupator wrote: »
    When you sell to any retailer you're leaving some money on the table. You're paying for the lack of hassle. E-bay takes fees (as does Paypal), Craigslist can sometimes get you scammed, and selling to friends can create a problem if the device breaks in the near future. When you sell to a retailer, they've got to turn around and sell it and make a profit. They can't give you what it's actually worth or they wouldn't make any money.

Adorama is a trustworthy company. So are B&H and KEH, but they're not going to give you the kind of money you're looking for (usually). You've got to decide if it's worth it to you.

And FYI: KEH would offer less than $400 for a LN- T2i.

Well said and thanx for the education. Definitely food for thought. Thinking I should take the time to list it here. Thanx again, I appreciate your time.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2011
    Adorama
    catspaw wrote: »
    sadly, as much as I love Adorama, what they 'say' over the phone is what often THEY will resell the lens/camera/etc for, NOT what you will get. You will get a 'firm' quote only after the object is in their hands, and it's typically a bit lower.

But if it's something you just haven't time OR are unable to dump entirely, it's worth it.

You know what? After hearing you say that, I got to thinking and Adorama did say via voice mail that my camera had a "value" of $510. They didn't say that I'd receive $510. There is a difference. Thank YOU!! Maybe I should try to sell camera here first...?
  • Options
    HelenOsterHelenOster Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2011
    You know what? After hearing you say that, I got to thinking and Adorama did say via voice mail that my camera had a "value" of $510. They didn't say that I'd receive $510. There is a difference. Thank YOU!! Maybe I should try to sell camera here first...?

If you were told that the re-sale value would be $510, then you can guesstimate on receiving about 70% of that - possibly more, though, if you are part-exing up.

Don't hesitate to email me directly if you need additional information etc: HelenO@adorama.com
    Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    http://twitter.com/HelenOster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2011
    I've just spoken with the used department manager, who has confirmed that he will pay you the full $510!
    Helen Oster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com
  • Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2011
    It's sure great to have folks from major photo retailers like Adorama (thanks, Helen!) and B&H monitoring DGrin and jumping right in to clear up any questions. It's great service for us and (obviously) is good business for them.

Re selling the camera -- selling it to a reputable retailer like Adorama (or the other two mentioned) vs. selling it yourself is no different than trading in (or selling) an automobile to a dealer vs. selling it yourself:
    You'll get less (wholesale) from a dealer than if you sell it yourself, but the benefits you gain include:
    • a quick, hassle-free transaction
    • knowing that you can trust that the buyer's funds are good
    • knowing that the retailer (instead of you) assumes all risk (e.g. warranty) for the sale to the next buyer
    In a nutshell, the tradeoff is between "more $$" or "more service" -- take your pick :D.
    There are times and situations where one is preferable to the other. (I find that I pick the "service" option more often now than when I was younger, esp. w.r.t. automobiles ... although I still usually sell photo equipment myself)
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Options
    JustinThymeJustinThyme Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2011
    If they confirm $510 thats not too horrible. You could list it on one of the many B&S boards out there and get ~$550-$600 then you have to deal with shipping and if using paypal you eat those fees etc.
    Bottom line is you dont know from any of them until they have it in hand. They will tell you the top dollar they will pay but very seldom actually do it. They are looking to turn a profit on it. Ive only tried with a 16-35L some time ago and left with the lens still in my bag laughing and sold it less than a week later for $400 more than their offer and at 90% retail.

I like you Helen, you do a lot for Adorama but I think this case is a simple profit margin thing. Too much trouble for a retailer to deal with used gear to make peanuts on it.

I think you might have some luck listing on other B&S boards, the exposure here is a bit limited.
    Canon CPS Gold Member
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 1, 2011
    Not really sure why I didn't notice this sooner - but I just moved this thread from House of Canon to the general Flea Market, for all to see and learn from.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2011
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2011
    .....I like you Helen, you do a lot for Adorama .....
    FlyNavy wrote: »
    Nice job Helen!!!

obscene-smiley-1037.gif
    Helen Oster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 1, 2011
    I've bought and sold from/to Adorama. They are good people to deal with. Their offers are fair. Sure, you can sell for more $ privately but then you have to pay ebay fees or paypal fees or take a chance selling to someone unknown. Adorama has to make a profit also. Let them know that you want to ship them equipment for appraisal and they'll email you a prepaid shipping label. If you send an item to them for appraisal and don't like their offer, they will send your equipment back on their dime. That's right, shipping is on them both ways.

It does take a while for the process to take place. Figure a couple days for shipping then about a week for them to look at the items and let you know what they are willing to offer you.

The bottom line is: don't worry about dealing with Adorama.
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2011
    I think you might have some luck listing on other B&S boards, the exposure here is a bit limited.

Here, FM, POTN... where else?
  • Options
    mark5mark5 Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2011
    buy percentage
    I recently contacted them about buying a lens because I was having the idea I wanted something different. This is what they told me after i called to ask why it was to what I felt was a little low. He said that they will take the current value of the item in its present condition and put value on it. The item I had was almost new and they did value it at full and current retail price but he told me that under no circumstances would they pay more than 70%. This is the method they use for determining what they will pay. They also cover the shipping charges to them. IMO it is better to sell yourself on Amazon or Ebay. Then negotiate with them on their product, because you know that as soon as UPS drops it off it is only worth a maximum of 70% of what ever you just paid.
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2011
    depending on the lens though, it can be a great way to sell. I had one that wasn't too popular and ebay and here did nothing for sales, even at a 50% value price. Didn't matter that it was newly new. Selling to Adorama at least got the bloody thing GONE and got me money I hadn't been able to get any other way.

for the record, Sigma sucks :P
    //Leah
  • Options
    mark5mark5 Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2011
    yes
    I agree, it could be the best choice for an item that is not currently moving very fast and that, even at a lower price, is a guaranteed sale and will allow you to direct the money towards something useful. Also must take in account the almost 10% in Amazon/Ebay sales fees, including the additional hit you take for receiving Paypal. Then the box and tape and the time to ship it. And I seem to always short myself on the shipping I charge :)
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2011
    mark5 wrote: »
    I recently contacted them about buying a lens ....they will take the current value of the item in its present condition and put value on it.....under no circumstances would they pay more than 70%...

As far as I'm aware, Adorama is the only company which will cover the shipping - AND insurance - costs when you send an item in for evaluation, and if you are not happy with the amount offered, the cost of shipping & insuring it to send it back.

The 30% needs to cover our staffing, warehousing, packaging, shipping, servicing, advertising and cleaning costs. It also needs to cover the cost of providing a 90-day warranty on all used items we sell, which includes a 30-day returns period - AND - the boss expects us to turn a profit!!

If you are trading up your used equipment for another used or a new item, you will usually find that consideration will be given to a discount.
    Helen Oster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com