Options

Canon Teleconverter Recomendations?

PunkybethPunkybeth Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
edited April 23, 2011 in Accessories
Hi all!

Looking for some advise on Canon teleconverters. We are going to Yellowstone in June and would like to extend our lens's reach. Husband and I both have the 70-200 2.8L (series I). We read the reviews online and pretty much decided on the 1.4 II teleconverter, but now it looks like there is a new 1.4 III (there's about a 180.00 price difference between the two.) Does anyone have any experience with these? And recommendations as to which one is better? I'm so confused!:scratch

Thanks!!!!

Robyn
Robyn T. Lisone
MUTTography - Modern and Fun Lifestyle Pet Photography
MUTTography | My SmugMug | Facebook | Google+

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited April 23, 2011
    Depending upon your needs, either a version I or version II Canon 1.4x teleconverter* can work well with a version I, EF 70-200mm, f2.8L USM lens, but I do believe that a version III 1.4x converter is better still, especially in the border and corners wide open. The best evidence for this is at:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=242&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=5&API=1&LensComp=242&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=7&APIComp=0

The MKII converter is the before image and the MKIII converter is the mouse-over/after image.

(* According to Canon the only difference between the 1.4x version I and II is weather sealing in version II. Optically and electronically they are identical. Version III is a new animal however.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    The MKII converter is the before image and the MKIII converter is the mouse-over/after image.

Wow!!! That's a pretty big difference! The III is much sharper! Thanks Ziggy!
    Robyn T. Lisone

• Options
    edited April 23, 2011
    One more thing....does the camera make a difference? Husband's got the 7D, and I've got the 5D MKII.
    Robyn T. Lisone

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited April 23, 2011
    Punkybeth wrote: »
    One more thing....does the camera make a difference? Husband's got the 7D, and I've got the 5D MKII.

You will notice the difference more on a FF camera like the 5D MKII. The 7D crops out most of the differences (since the majority of the differences are in the edges and corners of the FF image.)

I determined that for my uses, the EF 70-200mm, f2.8L ver I and 1.4x converter, ver II, are acceptable image quality and I do not intend to upgrade. The primary difference is a little CA which is correctable in post-processing and it also responds pretty well to a purple-fringe action that I have. I generally have the subject far enough from the borders that the center is pretty much the same with any of the Canon 1.4x versions.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    You will notice the difference more on a FF camera like the 5D MKII. The 7D crops out most of the differences (since the majority of the differences are in the edges and corners of the FF image.)

I determined that for my uses, the EF 70-200mm, f2.8L ver I and 1.4x converter, ver II, are acceptable image quality and I do not intend to upgrade. The primary difference is a little CA which is correctable in post-processing and it also responds pretty well to a purple-fringe action that I have. I generally have the subject far enough from the borders that the center is pretty much the same with any of the Canon 1.4x versions.

Good to know! Thanks again Ziggy! This is helpful :)
    Robyn T. Lisone