Options

What do I need to attach Kirk L bracket to my tripod?

TheCheeseheadTheCheesehead Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
edited April 29, 2011 in Accessories
Hi, I bought a Kirk L bracket. I see it clamps to an "Arca Swiss" style quick clamp...not sure what that is. I have a Manfrotto ball head with quick release...I looked on Amazon but can't really figure out what I need. Is there an adapter that I need so that I can use this L bracket on my current ball head? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,829 moderator
    edited April 26, 2011
    Hi, I bought a Kirk L bracket. I see it clamps to an "Arca Swiss" style quick clamp...not sure what that is. I have a Manfrotto ball head with quick release...I looked on Amazon but can't really figure out what I need. Is there an adapter that I need so that I can use this L bracket on my current ball head? Thanks!

Manfrotto have a number of different types of quick release designs. I do not believe that any of them use an "Arca Swiss" compatible design. Your best bet is to stick with Bogen/Manfrotto compatible brackets or replace the ball head itself.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2011
    Ziggy, I am not aware of a Manfrotto compatible L-bracket. The problem is that L-brackets want a certain amount of lateral adjustability and the Manfrotto-style QR does not make allowance for such. I think the OP is stuck with buying a new ball head or ditching the L-bracket.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2011
    Icebear wrote: »
    Ziggy, I am not aware of a Manfrotto compatible L-bracket. The problem is that L-brackets want a certain amount of lateral adjustability and the Manfrotto-style QR does not make allowance for such. I think the OP is stuck with buying a new ball head or ditching the L-bracket.

These are the 2 "Elbow Brackets" of which I am aware:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&N=0&A=endecaSearch&InitialSearch=yes&Q=&Ntt=Bogen+Manfrotto+Elbow+Bracket

I have the #340 and I do like that it has a built-in anti-rotation feature that rapidly adapts to multiple camera bodies without requiring a separate plate for each body design (like most other systems.)
    ziggy53
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2011
    If it was made in the past year, then it is compatible with Really Right Stuff lever release, and otherwise should work with their screw-type release. You won't find better gear than that, IMO.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&N=0&A=endecaSearch&InitialSearch=yes&Q=&Ntt=Bogen+Manfrotto+Elbow+Bracket

I have the #340 and I do like that it has a built-in anti-rotation feature that rapidly adapts to multiple camera bodies without requiring a separate plate for each body design (like most other systems.)

I'm looking at the 340. I have the 496RC2 ball head, with the RC2 quick release. Looking at the 496, could I take the RC2 reciever off by removing the Allen screw, then attach the 340 to the ballhead, so that I can still use the ballhead?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2011
    Also, do you think if I mounted this to the ballhead it would work?

Thanks! Hope this link works..
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004NEIE0M/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/178-4201188-8903945?ref_=cm_sw_em_r_am_ip_am_us
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2011
    I honestly don't know the answers to these latest questions. It would be best to contact Manfrotto directly:

http://www.manfrotto.com/About+Us/Contact+Us/
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2011
    Looking further into it, looks like the 341 bracket is compatible with the 496RC2. I ended up ordering both items, and I'll return whichever I prefer the least. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2011
    Also, do you think if I mounted this to the ballhead it would work?

Thanks! Hope this link works..
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004NEIE0M/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/178-4201188-8903945?ref_=cm_sw_em_r_am_ip_am_us

I wish I could tell you that I thought it would work. Then you could use your Arca-Swiss compatible L-bracket. I think you are going to find, however, that the Fotopro QR fitting requires a 3/8 stud, and not the allen screw fastener on your Manfrotto fitting. Here, have a look. If what you have looks like the fitting on the lower left, I think you're out of luck. If it looks like the one on the upper right, you're golden. Maybe the Fotopro QR has options other than the 3/8-1/4 bushing, but I doubt it. ne_nau.gif
    i-q7mTBHq-L.jpg
    John :
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2011
    I bought a kirk universal arca swiss mount and drilled it to fit on the neck/ stem of my Gitzo ballhead. I put the Gitzo QR mount in the closet where it belongs. When you use an L bracket or camera plate that was made for your camera, you will see why all other QR mounts belong hidden away and forgotten about.
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2011
    I wish I could tell you that I thought it would work. Then you could use your Arca-Swiss compatible L-bracket. I think you are going to find, however, that the Fotopro QR fitting requires a 3/8 stud, and not the allen screw fastener on your Manfrotto fitting. Here, have a look. If what you have looks like the fitting on the lower left, I think you're out of luck. If it looks like the one on the upper right, you're golden. Maybe the Fotopro QR has options other than the 3/8-1/4 bushing, but I doubt it. ne_nau.gif
    i-q7mTBHq-L.jpg

Lower left is the one I have..shoot...Thanks for going through the trouble though. Maybe that 341 will work out and I can sell that Kirk on eBay...I know I should just breakdown and buy a new ballhead because in a couple years I might anyways....but I just bought that Manfrotto last fall. It very true though when photographers say to buy the best tripod setup you can, don't cheap out...
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2011
    Lower left is the one I have..shoot...

Do not dispair! I've lost the link, but I rooted around in Amazon and found a Arca Swiss fitting that DID allow (and come with) an allen bolt. Keep looking.
    John :
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2011
    Icebear wrote:
    Do not dispair! I've lost the link, but I rooted around in Amazon and found a Arca Swiss fitting that DID allow (and come with) an allen bolt. Keep looking.
    You mean like this?

SQRC9.jpg

To the OP: you got a Kirk L-bracket (I have one, too, and love it), why not check Kirk for compatible QR clamps?

http://www.kirkphoto.com/Specialty-Quick-Release-Clamp-List.html
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2011
    That would work, but it's got no safety stops. A bit scary for me.
    John :
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2011
    That would work, but it's got no safety stops. A bit scary for me.

Interesting you mention that. Kirk's camera plates have safety stops on them (screws catch in the U-shaped cutouts on the QR plate), but they do not have them on the L-brackets. Maybe because with an L-bracket you typically do not have the body leaned over to the side like you would going to portrait mode using the drop notch if you just have a plate on the bottom of the camera. I've never worried at all about it, but I guess that's just me. I carry my tripod over my shoulder with the L-bracket secured on the ballhead and it's never moved a micron. But I understand the fear, and of course it only takes one time of not having it secured for it to go boom.

RRS also has the same kind of QR clamp that would work by removing that allen screw, and it also has safety cutout areas but the stops themselves would have to be on the bracket. (Sorry for the size of the pic.) RRS's L-brackets also do not have safety set screws on them, but their non-L-bracket plates do. There must be some reason for that...

B2PROII.png
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »

How much more stable , if any, is the RC0 system over the RC2??
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited April 28, 2011
    Wow. Really important stuff. eek7.gif I just looked at my clamps & plates. Accratech puts the safety stops in the clamp, and the cutouts in the plates. My Induro gimbal has stops in the plate and cutouts in the clamp. The only "Danger combination" I see in my kit is if I put my 70-200 with Accratech plate unto the Induro gimbal. Gotta make durn sure I check & check before turning loose of the lens!
    John :
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    How much more stable , if any, is the RC0 system over the RC2??

Art, I don't know that it's inherantly any more stable, but the RCO system is just used on beefier stuff in general. I have a monster tripod with the old #229 tri-axis head, and it's like a rock. Trouble is it weighs a ton. I only use it in a "studio" environment 'cause it's just too much of a pita to move around.

It's not much better at "anti-rotation" than any other plate that relys on friction and little rubber sheets, IMO. Maybe a teeny bit, cause there's more surface.
    John :
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2011
    Some of the RRS stuff has stops. The pano rail, for example. I can't imagine the need for it on the L brackets. Maybe that's just me.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2011
    DavidTO wrote: »
    Some of the RRS stuff has stops. The pano rail, for example. I can't imagine the need for it on the L brackets. Maybe that's just me.

You need to cultivate some paranoia David. If it CAN hit the deck, it WILL . . . eventually. :cry I recently lent a lens to my daughter. Got a maracas back.
    John :
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2011
    You need to cultivate some paranoia David. If it CAN hit the deck, it WILL . . . eventually. :cry I recently lent a lens to my daughter. Got a maracas back.
    I just don't use the RRS gear in a way that the stops would help (except for the pano rail). What good would it do on an L bracket? It's not like I slide it around, I place it in the QR clamp and clamp it down. All I do is put it on/take it off. It's not going to go anywhere when it's clamped in. ne_nau.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2011
    You mean like this?

SQRC9.jpg

To the OP: you got a Kirk L-bracket (I have one, too, and love it), why not check Kirk for compatible QR clamps?

http://www.kirkphoto.com/Specialty-Quick-Release-Clamp-List.html

Thanks, almost too easy! Do you think this Amazon rip-off would work too?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004ED815A/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/178-4201188-8903945?ref_=cm_sw_em_r_am_ip_am_us
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2011
    Sorry for the double post, I'm using an iPhone and for some reason they didn't show up.
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2011
    Thanks, almost too easy! Do you think this Amazon rip-off would work too?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004ED815A/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/178-4201188-8903945?ref_=cm_sw_em_r_am_ip_am_us

Would it work? IDK, I guess it might. I'd doubt it will be as well made as Kirk or RRS, and I might have concerns about it loosening up and my gear falling off. There are certain places where I believe spending the money is the right thing to do, and others where skimping is ok with me. Things that prevent big crashes fall in the former camp for me. But that's entirely up to you.
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2011
    Safety stops can save you from your own stupidity sometimes. I've had it happen. Maybe I'm just stupider than the average bear. Ya get distracted while mounting your gear, who knows? Doesn't hurt to have them, but I agree the lack wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker.
    John :
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2011
    This one is very similar to the Kirk clamp that I mounted to my Gitzo ball head neck. I needed to drill 3 holes and 3 counterbores to make it work for me.
    SQRC9.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2011
    Would it work? IDK, I guess it might. I'd doubt it will be as well made as Kirk or RRS, and I might have concerns about it loosening up and my gear falling off. There are certain places where I believe spending the money is the right thing to do, and others where skimping is ok with me. Things that prevent big crashes fall in the former camp for me. But that's entirely up to you.

Yeah, your right. Plus it looks like it's American made, and as a union worker I try to buy American when I can...even if it's $130.
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2011
    Yeah, your right. Plus it looks like it's American made, and as a union worker I try to buy American when I can...even if it's $130.

The $130 clamps are the ones that come with the Manfrotto QR plate attached to it that you would just mount on your existing ballhead. If you are planning on removing the allen screw from your ballhead and instead installing one of these like I linked the picture of, those clamps are more like $90. Still not free, but somewhere in between the eBay special and the $130. Unless you like the idea of having a QR plate mounted on a QR plate, then you can go for the higher price deal.

You can also keep an eye on Kirk's website, they have specials and blemish/demo options where you can get what you're looking for for a few bucks less. I got the QR clamp for my monopod that way, saved myself $10 or so. Again, it didn't make it free, but I don't mind having a scratch or two and saving some money. And FWIW, the one I got from the blemish bin wasn't actually blemished at all, it just was their older style clamp that doesn't have the etched alignment marks on there. For my monopod, it was perfect.
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2011
    Just following up, both items in post 7 and 23 seem to work. Also received the Manfrotto 341, and that works great with my existing RC2 quick connectors. I havn't received the Kirk L bracket yet, so as soon as I get that I'll compare all and see what I stick with. Those of you that use L brackets, do you put them on your 70-200 ring too when using it?
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2011
    Just following up, both items in post 7 and 23 seem to work. Also received the Manfrotto 341, and that works great with my existing RC2 quick connectors. I havn't received the Kirk L bracket yet, so as soon as I get that I'll compare all and see what I stick with. Those of you that use L brackets, do you put them on your 70-200 ring too when using it?

When I'm using a longer lens with a tripod ring I mount the tripod ring directly to the tripod head. I rotate the camera/lens via the tripod ring.

I use an L/elbow bracket for lenses which lack a tripod ring and the bracket is mounted to the camera body.
    ziggy53