Nikkor AF-S 50mm, f1.8G announced

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
edited May 1, 2011 in Cameras
http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Camera-Lenses/2199/AF-S-NIKKOR-50mm-f%252F1.8G.html

This version should be compatible with all modern Nikon cameras since it includes the AF drive motor (Silent Wave Motor technology, SWM). It's not just an AF motorized update to the Nikkor 50mm, f1.8D, this is a whole new animal with a new lens design.
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• jdorseydesignjdorseydesign Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Camera-Lenses/2199/AF-S-NIKKOR-50mm-f%252F1.8G.html

This version should be compatible with all modern Nikon cameras since it includes the AF drive motor (Silent Wave Motor technology, SWM). It's not just an AF motorized update to the Nikkor 50mm, f1.8D, this is a whole new animal with a new lens design.

Woo, I already pre-ordered on amazon this morning!
    J Dorsey Design Photography • jdorseydesign.com • Facebook Fan/Friend • Twitter @bartdorsey
  • time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2011
    clap.gifclapclap.gifclap
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • ImageX PhotographyImageX Photography Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2011
    I have the 50 1.4G so this lens doesn't interest me at all. Good price though for those who don't want or need the extra stop.
  • MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2011
    I'll admit that I pre-ordered one as well, just so my younger Nikons will have auto-focusing 50mm joy.
  • insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2011
    I pre-ordered one myself. Let's just hope they really improved the sharpness and bokeh. I am so far disappointed with all of Nikons current (in production) 50mm lenses. Mainly because of poor bokeh wide open.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2011
    Still only seven blades.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited April 28, 2011
    Icebear wrote: »
    Still only seven blades.

I am convinced that the amount of aperture blades has little to do with quality of bokeh. Canon has 8 in their higher end lenses, yet they tend to be more pleasing bokeh than Nikon's 9 blades.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited April 29, 2011
    Icebear wrote: »
    Still only seven blades.

I believe that they are also straight blades as opposed to the curved blades used in the higher quality lenses.
    ziggy53
    edited April 29, 2011
    insanefred wrote: »
    I am convinced that the amount of aperture blades has little to do with quality of bokeh. Canon has 8 in their higher end lenses, yet they tend to be more pleasing bokeh than Nikon's 9 blades.

When I use a lens that produces busy or distracting bokeh I generally use a loose mask to separate the subject from the background and then blur and reduce contrast on the background to smooth the background to taste. It's a pain but it works pretty well and the results can be visually pleasing.
    ziggy53
    edited April 29, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I believe that they are also straight blades as opposed to the curved blades used in the higher quality lenses.

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/singlefocal/normal/af-s_50mmf_18g/index.htm

^ it says they're rounded. :D
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2011
    insanefred wrote: »

If there are sharp points of light in the BG, the number (and shape) of blades has everything to do with the quality of bokeh.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited April 29, 2011
    ziggy53
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2011
    It's about time!!
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2011
    Amazon updated my order status:

"Nikon 50mm f/1.8G AF-S NIKKOR Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras"
    Estimated arrival date: May 17 2011 - June 15 2011
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2011
    If I have a D7000 and an older copy of this lens, is there any reason in the world I would care about the new one?
    edited April 30, 2011
    Pupator wrote: »
    If I have a D7000 and an older copy of this lens, is there any reason in the world I would care about the new one?

Until we see some accurate reviews that include image comparisons from both, it's impossible to say for sure. This is a new lens design and several image qualities may have been affected, positively or negatively.

The only thing that is known for sure is that this is a welcome addition to those folks who have a Nikon body that does not have the AF screw drive motor and who want AF in a cost-effective prime of this focal length. (I am reiterating of course.)
    ziggy53
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2011
    Thanks Ziggy. I was prepared to wait for review copies and compare images, but it seems that a lot of people are just assuming the IQ will be much better and I couldn't figure out why.
    edited April 30, 2011
    Pupator wrote: »
    Thanks Ziggy. I was prepared to wait for review copies and compare images, but it seems that a lot of people are just assuming the IQ will be much better and I couldn't figure out why.

There is some speculation over why Nikon chose to include an asherical element in this lens design. Normally aspherical elements are used in wide angle primes and some zoom lens formulations. They are not generally needed in a 50mm prime lens. Whether this has a positive impact on image quality or not is yet to be demonstrated.

It is an example of how sure Nikon is in its aspherical lens production. Not that many years ago a complicated lens element like this would have been reserved for only the most expensive lens designs. Most modern aspherical elements are replicas, which is astonishing in itself.
    ziggy53
    edited April 30, 2011
    ziggy53
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2011
    Yeah, as someone who usually DOESN'T shoot at 50mm very much, I would much rather save my hard-earned $$ for a better 35 or 85 prime. Therefore, this slightly more affordable 50mm is of great interest to me. I will eagerly await the tests and reviews, to see if the AFS-G version of this lens does any better at low-light accuracy and consistency than the AFD version. (So far, OTHER AFS-G lenses have been MUCH improved in the accuracy / consistency department...)

Take care,
    =Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum