Options

Egrets, please look

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited September 9, 2005 in Wildlife
35148325-L.jpg

35148329-L.jpg

35148342-L.jpg

35149093-L.jpg

Below, I just ran out of titles, will get one and make a poster: later.........

35149103-L.jpg

Below is the blk and white one in color. I always work up my blk and white shots in color before I convert them.

35148303-L.jpg

It was a gray rainy day, but I took my camera and went to Shem Creek anyway. I used my car for cover when the rain got harder.

I wanted to show some of the photos, but I decided to work them up with CS2, in the same careful way I have been working up my other shots the last week or so. There are tools there that I think help me, along with Rutt's suggestion to use the black channel of CMYK.

The problem with "tools" is they give one choices, smile. I may have worked these up with a heavier hand than I did others, I won't know until tomorrow or so, after I have looked at them.

If you want, you can get out your eyedroppers. The photos started out fine in the bridge area of CS2, then blown areas started to appear after a little work with them. I changed the setting for exposure in the bridge, did it manually and darker. I hope there are not many blown areas. I did want to let you know that I am aware of that problem, however, I like the photos anyway.

Comments are welcome. Some of you have seen my other shots this week. I did try to use as much of the "negative" as possible, which made all except one full frame (I had to straighten the flight one a tad.)

I am not going to be able to get closer to the birds anytime soon. However, I have not been close to lots of things, like that girl and gotten better results, so I am trying here.

Thanks for looking,

ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2005
    #1 and #2 #2 being my favoritethumb.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2005
    Yes, #2 is a cool old bird. I felt "sneaky" taking that photo. And I did sneak, but it was just too good.

ginger (finally getting some good people shots, smile.)

thanks, Jeff.

I am exhausted.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2005
    Hey Ginger, I really like these. I want to shoot at Shem Creek the next time I'm in Charleston. thumb.gif
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
    ...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!
  • Options
    jeff lapointjeff lapoint Registered Users Posts: 1,228 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2005
    Very nice work Ginger! I especially like #2, the composition, subject matter, and color contrast/saturation really draw the eye in.

-j
  • Options
    rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2005
    Ginger, I really love these shots! #1 looks like a postcard its great, and I love the B&W treatment. #4 I love also, but they are all fantasticclap.gif
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2005
    Very nice, the b&w is realy nice, too much distracting color in background for color version.

Shame that pole is there on No.2, first impresion was he's walking into it.rolleyes1.gifOh, for a 1/2 sec. earlier or later. But I like it anyway.

The BIF is great, maybe alittle too centered though.

Very nice set.
    AL

Edit: I relooked at No.2, poor guy hung up on pole. Could name picture "Obstruction".rolleyes1.gifrofl
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2005
    Me too Ginger #2 the old guy looks like he's seen better shrimpin days :D
    the background and everything just all fits, well done

On the egrets I'd give a tad more negative EV adjustment next time you get a chance, JMHO ya know :D
  • Options
    Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2005
    Some very nice shots, Ginger. thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif I'd like to see that first one with more detail in the "main" bird..and no 2nd bird. (or at least in focus). I think it works well in B&W. Storym Weather is also nice. The BIF is nice..awww (wo) man I miss my birds. Did you steal them? ne_nau.gif I bet you snuck into my backyard late the other night and boosted my birds. :uhoh headscratch.gif

Cheers

BMP

Oh....and Ginger.....tell the egret to flight straight. We'll have no unlevel flyers in this group. :D
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2005
    Dixie wrote:
    Hey Ginger, I really like these. I want to shoot at Shem Creek the next time I'm in Charleston. thumb.gif
    Hey, Dixie, good idea, we will get there before sunrise, sneak in and no one will know we have breached their sacred territory.

It is not a large place, but it is close to me, and can be good shooting. Even though the only birds there were egrets, and one stork.

Perhaps you can "hear" what their complaints are, and some arrangements can be made for me to continue to shoot there.
    Bill won't do it: he says they don't want me there, it is that simple. I think there can always be "arrangements".

I understand from the paper that the shrimpers are in even worse danger of going out of business because of the NO disaster. I am not sure of why, other than the price of gas.

I have been thinking I should buy shrimp every time I go there, but I don't spend anything at all on food, have not had a steak for over a yr, don't cook, eat ice cream and peanut butter. What would I do with shrimp???? I would have to buy a cooker. And I would have to buy all the stuff to make the sauce. And we would have to have shrimp every day. Also, it could be quite expensive. I used to cook crabs, and they are delicious, but I just couldn't bring myself to do that anymore. But one, they need to stay in business, and two, I think I need to show "good faith".

Also, I have been banned from the docks for insurance reasons. I don't know how we could get around that.

But come on down, Dixie, you could probably get great photos!!

ginger
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2005
    Thank you, Jeff, Jeff, Ben, Rahmaster, Allen and birdman.

Re centering. I was careful to make sure the bird was not centered, more room in front than in back, but it does look centered.

I went one more place, damn birds, two, flew away, I got them in flight. Plan to work them up, good flight shots. What do you all suggest re centering when I have a choice. Sometimes I don't.

birdman, funny how different people like different things. I do like the out of focus bird in the first photo, smile. Nice there are so many people, to like many different things, smile.

Thanks all for stopping and commenting!

ginger
  • Options
    DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    ....Also, I have been banned from the docks for insurance reasons. I don't know how we could get around that.

But come on down, Dixie, you could probably get great photos!!

ginger
    Maybe we can find a good vantage point and put the teles to good use. If not, I know of a couple of other locations south of Charleston where there are shrimpers and maybe we can work something out with them.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
    ...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2005
    I like these a lot, particulary this:

35148329-Th.jpg

and this:

35149103-Th.jpg

I'm thinking that not every photo is better as a poster with a title, though I do belive in the power of titles to enhance images. On the other hand, a trite title can be just distracting and detract from the image. So I don't particularly like the titles "Pole Position" or "Gone Fishing" for these shots. But I do like the more factual and less "cute" "Shrimp Boat Dock..."
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    I like these a lot, particulary this:

and this:

I'm thinking that not every photo is better as a poster with a title, though I do belive in the power of titles to enhance images. On the other hand, a trite title can be just distracting and detract from the image. So I don't particularly like the titles "Pole Position" or "Gone Fishing" for these shots. But I do like the more factual and less "cute" "Shrimp Boat Dock..."
    Thanks, Rutt. I had a better title for the the blk and white one this morning, plus I am not happy with Stormy Weather, not at all.

Yeah, I know, on the blk and white one, I was thinking today that it could be, "It is all about the food".

Actually those titles are going to be better and worse depending on my fatigue level, etc. I do like the posters. The one with the man, I could not think of anything for the life of me which is why I guess it isn't trite. I even did something wrong in making the posters, worked out well, they didn't take up as much space.

By the time I got to the last one, I was not going to just put "flight" or "fly by", or lift off (more accurate), I just collapsed, and put it up as is. In fact one of those does not even have the white around it.

In most cases, the title would be my "gallery name" whatever that is. And the others would be untitle. In a book of the finest paper, of course.

ginger
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited September 9, 2005
    Excellent work Ginger thumb.gifthumb.gif

The 1st one looks great in B&W (why haven't I ever thought of B&W egrets?...lol). I, like many others, just love the old man walking. Nice composition and an interesting subject.

Your other shots are super too clap.gif The flying egret is schweettttt iloveyou.gif

Good job shooting and processing these :D

I know I'd be jumpin for joy after a day of shooting like yours mwink.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2005
    Excellent work Ginger thumb.gifthumb.gif

The 1st one looks great in B&W (why haven't I ever thought of B&W egrets?...lol). I, like many others, just love the old man walking. Nice composition and an interesting subject.

Your other shots are super too clap.gif The flying egret is schweettttt iloveyou.gif

Good job shooting and processing these :D

I know I'd be jumpin for joy after a day of shooting like yours mwink.gif

Steve

Thanks, Steve, I was just tickled, uh, pink. (gotta increase the yellow over the pink, smile.)

But I was very happy with this crop, and it was in gray wet weather, too. I was so happy I wanted to share it, I am so glad you came to see.

Thanks, again,

ginger