Options

Time to move on

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited May 6, 2011 in Accessories
I mean, time to updrade my camera-hauling gear:-)
Believe it or not, I'm still using my, now probably 6-7 or even more years old, Lowepro Computrekker AV. I purchased it way back when I only had Sony "advanced" point and shoot.
Surprisignly, it can still hold my 5D2 (with a grip and an L-plate!) with 24-105 attached and 7D with 70-200 or 100-400 attached, plus a few necessities...
However, it is pretty obvious that I need more room, and, frankly, more comfort. Most of my shooting happens in an urban environment, or, at least, within a walking distance from the car (and by "walking distance" I mean "a distance a model can walk while on heels":-).
So, I'm looking for two things:
1) A bigger, better backpack in case I am on a nature hike. Something with a bright ligning, like KATAs (so I can see clearly), and something with the back loader, like Crumpler (so I don't have to turn it over after I "drop" it and expose the back surface/straps to mud and/or prickles. Naturally, something weather proof, with an extra layer if needed (I like that feature of my Computrekker AV).
2) A roller, which I can use most of the time when I travel by car. Not necessarily airport-friendly, but necessarily usage-friendly. Something I can easily lug through hotels, restaurants and other venues. Something that provides easy access to all the gear. Something I can hopefully lock and secure (with a bike cable, or a laptop cable, etc.) in the corner of the said venue and go about my shooting, knowing that the rest of the gear is safe and sound and can't be taken away without a lot of hassle and fuss.

What shall I get? What shall I *not* get?
I'm all :ear !
TIA! :thumb
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    PunkybethPunkybeth Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2011
    I have the Flipside AW 400 from Lowepro and I love it. The back doesn't open out, so you don't have to worry about stuff falling out or people stealing your gear...You basically "flip" it around to open it, while still having it secured to your waist. It has a nice tripod holder that comes out and a rain protector that can be wrapped around the bag too. Holds my 5DmkII, 70-200 2.8L, 16-35 2.8L, 580Ex, 50 1.4, and various other things. They don't make flashy colors, but it serves the purpose for me.rolleyes1.gif
    Robyn T. Lisone
    MUTTography - Modern and Fun Lifestyle Pet Photography
    MUTTography | My SmugMug | Facebook | Google+

• Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2011
    Nik,

I'm not up-to-date on the backpacks, so I'll let others suggest those.

As to rollers, I don't think you can do any better than the ThinkTank Airport Security. It also has two locking cables built into the case, plus the main compartment has a built-in combo lock for securing the zipper. It has hide-away shoulder straps, if you find that you need a "back-pack" for a bit. They also will send out a free "wheel kit" if you ever wear out the wheels! Lots and lots of features, check it out...

Anyway, it gets my top vote, and also my money!

Good luck thumb.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2011
    Fstop. Great bag that is not just a camera bag.
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2011
    Thanks guys! thumb.gifiloveyou.gifbow
    The ThinkTank Airport looks like a good gear. I eyballed it it before, but didn't pull the plug due to its rather steep price ticket. However, if looks like a solid piece of equipment and probably is worth the $$$.
    The Flipside also looks good, and I'm familiar with the brand:-) Definite contender...
    FStop - good idea, I remember the earlier extensive post (I think, also by you) about various models. However, I think it's a bit too much of a versatility for me, I'm not that deep into backpacking/climbing these days. ne_nau.gif
    Anybody else wants to pitch in? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2011
    Ordered ThinkTank roller deal.gifclap
    The jury is still out for the backpack... headscratch.gif
  • Options
    naturebyericnaturebyeric Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited May 1, 2011
    I got the Tamrac 5788 Evolution 8 backpack a few months back and its great! :D

It can double as a slingshot and you can access your gear from either side depending on how you wear it. There is ample room for camera, a few lenses, filters, and other gear (700ml stainless steal water bottle + snacks for long hikes), there is also an area for a laptop, though I use it to store my rain poncho (the pack has its own rain gear too) and will use it for a hydration bladder once summer arrives. It comes with both waist and chest straps along with a tripod holder too. Its around $160, so the price wasn't bad either. I'd highly recommend it for short and long hikes!
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2011
    I got the Tamrac 5788 Evolution 8 backpack a few months back and its great! :D

It can double as a slingshot and you can access your gear from either side depending on how you wear it. There is ample room for camera, a few lenses, filters, and other gear (700ml stainless steal water bottle + snacks for long hikes), there is also an area for a laptop, though I use it to store my rain poncho (the pack has its own rain gear too) and will use it for a hydration bladder once summer arrives. It comes with both waist and chest straps along with a tripod holder too. Its around $160, so the price wasn't bad either. I'd highly recommend it for short and long hikes!

Thank you, interesting option! thumb.gif
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2011
    Nikolai,

My next backpack, ( I think) will be the:
    Lowepro Pro Trekker 400 AW Backpack

There are also two other sizes the 300 and the 600.

Sam
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2011
    Sam wrote: »
    Nikolai,
    My next backpack, ( I think) will be the:
    Lowepro Pro Trekker 400 AW Backpack
    There are also two other sizes the 300 and the 600.
    Sam
    Thanks for pitching in, Sam! thumb.gif
    Not denying its qualities, I must say it doesn't meet my #1 requirement for a new backpack: opening from the back (straps) side ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2011
    Nik,

While I don't know your criteria for a backpack, I'll once again direct your attention to ThinkTank, the Rotation360 backpack. You can access some of your lenses without taking the bag off your back! Also comes with a cool camera strap system that hooks on to the shoulder straps, taking the stress off of your neck.

Here are all the videos that you could possibly want to check it out.
    Randy
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2011
    rwells wrote: »
    Nik,

While I don't know your criteria for a backpack, I'll once again direct your attention to ThinkTank, the Rotation360 backpack. You can access some of your lenses without taking the bag off your back! Also comes with a cool camera strap system that hooks on to the shoulder straps, taking the stress off of your neck.

Here are all the videos that you could possibly want to check it out.

Thanks, Randy!
    I'll check it out!
    I have the creteria laid out in the OP, but here they are again, just in case:
    1) A bigger, better backpack in case I am on a nature hike. Something with a bright ligning, like KATAs (so I can see clearly), and something with the back loader, like Crumpler (so I don't have to turn it over after I "drop" it and expose the back surface/straps to mud and/or prickles. Naturally, something weather proof, with an extra layer if needed (I like that feature of my Computrekker AV).
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2011
    Hey Nik, I had the same thoughts as you not long ago.
    I'm not running through the woods anymore, so I got a Temba roller case.
    Works as a carry on, and will sit well in the back of the vehicle when on a trip.

I don't know if I got lucky or what, but at the time I was looking, Amazon had this case for $189.
    Now it $289. Maybe I was one of the few that got because of a misprint, I don't know.

Anyways, here's the case: LINK

Good luck on the backpack.
    I'm getting to the age that the last thing I want to do is carry a 40 pound backpack around through the woods.
    That model can carry her shoes a lot farther than you can haul a 40 pound pack. :D
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2011
    davev wrote: »
    Hey Nik, I had the same thoughts as you not long ago.
    I'm not running through the woods anymore, so I got a Temba roller case.
    Works as a carry on, and will sit well in the back of the vehicle when on a trip.

I don't know if I got lucky or what, but at the time I was looking, Amazon had this case for $189.
    Now it $289. Maybe I was one of the few that got because of a misprint, I don't know.

Anyways, here's the case: LINK

Good luck on the backpack.
    I'm getting to the age that the last thing I want to do is carry a 40 pound backpack around through the woods.
    That model can carry her shoes a lot farther than you can haul a 40 pound pack. :D

Thanks, Dave!
    I already pulled the plug on the thinktank roller, which allows me to locks it and leave it secured in a large venue without thinking every second if it grows a pair of legs. But it's nice to have an idea of something else in case I need a spare or my use-case changes.
    The backpack is still an open question. The thing is, I don't need those fancy flip/slig capabilities. I don't change stuff on the go. I need a backpack I can drop (straps up), open (straps stays up) and have enough room inside for a couple of bodies and a few lenses. At the same time it should obviously provide enough protectiong in case the ground is muddy/wet, or if it rains (not in SoCal, I know, but I have a feeling I'll be visiting other states where it does rain)
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2011
    davev wrote: »
    Yeah, no kidding, right? deal.gif
    However, I can still carry about 40-6-80 lbs of gear up a very steep mountain path, while the girls carrying only their heels are lagging behind... Those kids today have neither stamina nor will power mwink.gifrofl
  • Options
    zentricksterzentrickster Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2011
    Why not get the Kata then? they make a dolly/hand truck sort of option where you can wheel the backpack around...

http://www.kata-bags.com/product.asp?p_Id=104&Version=Photo
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2011
    Why not get the Kata then? they make a dolly/hand truck sort of option where you can wheel the backpack around...

http://www.kata-bags.com/product.asp?p_Id=104&Version=Photo

Interesting solution, thank you!

I'm done with rollers, though (received the ThinkTank Airport Security 2.0 about an hour ago :-), so I'm only looking for a better backpack now...