Options

MC 12 - Two for consideration, comment

billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
edited May 28, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
I had a chance to get out and about during the first sunny morning in a while. Here are a couple I think have potential. Any comments or preferences?

1. Persistence of Hope
20110524Weathered-Mega-L.jpg

2. Neither Rust Nor Snow Nor Gloom of Night
Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug

Comments

• Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2011
    Liking number one. The "Hope" adds a nice element of mystery. Well-composed.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2011
    He, he... I was thinking about mailboxes too :) - I didn't have the opportunity to find any, because of the bad weather.

I like them both a lot, but I think the second one is more on the theme, showing more textures.
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    What I want is the mailbox of #2 with the grasses of #1. Picky, picky, eh? Anyway, probably #2 is stronger on-theme, but I sure love the texture and light of the first one. Good eye, Bill.
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    15524779-Ti.gif I love the yellow & gold tones of the grasses in #1, and the way the worn & broken mailbox is softened by the surrounding grasses - & the title (perfect with what is written on the mailbox), but agree that the mailbox in #2 stands out better for the theme.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited May 27, 2011
    Both great shots for this challenge, but I agree that #2 is perhaps stronger for the theme. If you wanted to reshoot #1, you could perhaps give us the best of both worlds, but no need with #2 being a strong entry.
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    I think I like #2 best also. Nice texture.
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    Well now, dang, I guess I have a different take on the theme. I'm thinking it's not who has the most weathered or worn object, it's who has the best photo of a weathered/worn object. But two does show more weathering. Both are are good.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2011
    ghinson wrote: »
    Well now, dang, I guess I have a different take on the theme. I'm thinking it's not who has the most weathered or worn object, it's who has the best photo of a weathered/worn object. But two does show more weathering. Both are are good.

Good point... maybe we are looking for weathered a little too much. I just liked the texture down the side of #2... but I do really like the grasses of #1, so for me it was a toss up and I went with the texture.
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    ghinson wrote: »

I'm not sure it's different - you are totally right, but I'm sure most of us have thought in the same way:
    - a mix between the theme an a wonderfully done image.

However, in this example, I find the main subject - the rusted object - to be a little too obscured by the environment,
    even though it is a very nice photo.
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2011
    I like #1 better. Not only is the mailbox weathered, but the grasses are withered. I like the color and brightness better in #1.
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback. I gotta say, I like both of these for different reasons.

I had "hoped" the idea of "persistence of hope" in the face of adverse elements might translate better into the theme idea than it seems to have done.

I realize that the subject in the Hope photo is a bit obtuse. It's actually the front door of a mailbox, that's been removed and placed decoratively at the base of a new mailbox for the same address. I do wish the context was a bit better.

That said, here are a couple of other angles I've considered.

3. Closer in on hope

4. Hope with a square crop

5. Different angle on #2

6. Just for context... here's the original of #2 with a post that I cloned out of the first one and a little less color manipulation

Definately gonna enter one of these... If my head fall off from indecision before Monday :)
    Bill Banning

• Options
    bbjonesbbjones Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2011
    Well, actually I like #1. The word "Hope" on the rusty mailbox is awesome. And I like it among the grass. My next choice is #2.
    The goal of my photography is is the effective, original communication of a feeling expressing truth, beauty, or love.

www.photographyjones.com
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2011
    #3! I like the closer crop very much. I think the sky in the first was what bothered me.
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited May 28, 2011
    I think it was the wideness of the shot in #1 that drew the eye from the subject, going toward the horizon, looking for a hint of house, etc. I think my favorite is #4 (perhaps with the highlights toned down just a bit) or your original #2. Great shots!
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2011
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    I think it was the wideness of the shot in #1 that drew the eye from the subject, going toward the horizon, looking for a hint of house, etc. I think my favorite is #4 (perhaps with the highlights toned down just a bit) or your original #2. Great shots!

I go back and forth about the extent of the horizontal context. I do like the horizon, for orientation, but I think the narrower focus on the subject is more important. Ideally, they'd both be there. It's a bit of a trek for a reshoot, so I'm gonna make due with what I have. As an aside, I agree that the highlights in #4 are problematic, as it was accidentally, extremely overexposed in the original (thank goodness for the latitude of RAW!). I might be able to tone it down a bit more. Another stretch for my evolving PS skills. headscratch.gif
    Bill Banning