Options

Need input on a new Camera

MammaPaparazzaMammaPaparazza Registered Users Posts: 221 Major grins
edited June 8, 2011 in Cameras
Hi everyone!
I have a quick question and I hope to get some feedback here...
I'm currently using a D40 (Nikon) but am looking to upgrade within the next week.
What would you recommend:
D90
D3100

I want more MP, and I still want to be able to use the auto focus with my 200 lens, and the speedlight...any pro's and con's that you have witnessed with either of these?

Thanks so much for helping me choose, because I have read a lot of reviews and I'm torn really...and it would literally take me weeks before I choose because I'm one of those people who buys things and then wishes I got the other one after I hit the "submit payment" button :dunno
lol

Angela
Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively. - Dalai Lama XIV
It is vain to do with more what can be done with less. - William of Occam (c. 1288-1348)

Comments

• Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2011
    although i dont have a D3100 , i would go for the D90 [ witch i have ]

reason
    -more advanced
    -the D3100 is more a beginner model IMO , so-called handy auto-features
    -the different in megapixels is not very mutch , 12 is sufficient [IMO ] or , not noticeable

only con i can think of is different price , but you knew that allready

hope it helps
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2011
    basflt wrote: »
    although i dont have a D3100 , i would go for the D90 [ witch i have ]

reason
    -more advanced
    -the D3100 is more a beginner model IMO , so-called handy auto-features
    -the different in megapixels is not very mutch , 12 is sufficient [IMO ] or , not noticeable

only con i can think of is different price , but you knew that allready

hope it helps

yeah...thanks!!thumb.gif
    It is vain to do with more what can be done with less. - William of Occam (c. 1288-1348)
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2011
    agreed. The D90 can focus the other lenses, the D40 and D3100 cannot (not sure what you have, but ones like the 50mm 1.8D, the 85 1.8D, etc need the D90's internal focusing mechanism). The D3100 is essentially the D40 replacement - video and a few improvements, but essentially a lateral upgrade - both are the lowest/lower ends of the Nikon DSLR line up.

The D90 has been only *just* discontinued, but has been replaced by the D7000 - which is a VERY impressive camera for the consumer line up. Not sure what budget you are looking at, but the used D90s are found at pretty resonable prices.
    //Leah
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2011
    Yep, in general the D90 will most likely be the camera that allows (even forces) you to learn much more, advance your skill as a photographer, etc. With a D3100 compared to a D40, you honestly would not be getting anything NEW other than megapixels and video. Aside form those relatively un-important features, the D3100 will rank at about the same simplicity, the same "beginner friendly-ness"... Maybe this is what you want, of course, in which case the D3100 will serve you well and I bet you'll be thrilled with the images it delivers. However the D90, on the other hand, will introduce you to all kinds of advanced features and versatile functionality, including things like wireless flash control and AF-D lens compatibility. Not to mention, quite possibly my favorite feature- the simplicity of TWO command dials instead of one, Laughing.gif! At least as a full-time professional photographer, I just can't imagine only having one command dial. ;-)

Ironically, I will say that if you buy a D90, it may be the log on the fire that fuels you to crave an even better camera! What I mean is, if you get the D90 then you'll be continuing down the inevitable path of DSLR upgrades; sooner or later you'll want a D700, or a D400, (not out yet) ...or a D700 etc.

But, in my opinion, there's nothing wrong with that!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    www.SGphoto.uswww.SGphoto.us Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited May 29, 2011
    d90, no comparison
    My Website:www.SGphoto.us
  • Options
    bobmielkebobmielke Banned Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited May 30, 2011
    By coincidence I moved from a D40X to a D90 some time ago for the exact reason you mentioned. I bought a 60mm Nikkor Macro that wouldn't Auto-focus on the D40X so I upgraded to the D90. I used it for a year & loved the camera. It's 13 focus points, 12 megapixels and bracketing capabilities were welcomed. I upgraded to the D7000 when it was first released and haven't looked back. If you can find a D90 new at a good price jump on it. You won't be disappointed. If you have $1200 to invest get the D7000 body and all your present lenses will be very happy. :)
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2011
    Thank you allllll sooooo much,
    I think you have made up my mind for me :)
    the D90 it will be...see i'm at a this crossroad here where I need a new camera with higher mp, but I have studied (God have I read and read and read) and gotten pretty good with my photography...(I was 2nd contender in a death match in the challenge section...that felt so great!) and your right- that is why I want to move past the D40.
    I recently did a bridal shoot for a friend and just did her wedding (small wedding) and now I want to do it all the time, but I still only want to do smaller scale events until I'm 100% positive I can deliver!
    So, now I am going to go and find that D90 someplace that wont break my bank account.
    I got a pretty nice *tip* for the wedding pictures mwink.gif since she was so thrilled with the bridal ones...so I can put that towards the new camera.
    I really want to keep my 200 lens, I'm extremely happy with it, even tho it is a non VR...which people said "get the VR, it's worth it" but I have a steady hand and the lens is a favorite of mine and I got it for only 80 bucks....so I want to keep it and use it!
    Thanks again all of you...you are my go to peeps! bowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2011
    bobmielke wrote: »
    By coincidence I moved from a D40X to a D90 some time ago for the exact reason you mentioned. I bought a 60mm Nikkor Macro that wouldn't Auto-focus on the D40X so I upgraded to the D90. I used it for a year & loved the camera. It's 13 focus points, 12 megapixels and bracketing capabilities were welcomed. I upgraded to the D7000 when it was first released and haven't looked back. If you can find a D90 new at a good price jump on it. You won't be disappointed. If you have $1200 to invest get the D7000 body and all your present lenses will be very happy. :)

I wish I had 1200 bucks! I'm a stay at home mom, so I have to upgrade as people see fit to pay me for my services- which is getting pretty frequently rolleyes1.gif
    maybe I can snatch some of the vacation fund...I'm positive my kids wont mind...since they just Loooooove to have their photos taken...(please insert sarcasim into that last sentence to get the full effect)....my kids HATE my camera...my son declares trips to the park "electronic free trips!"
    But that said....he has my old point and shoot, and he's pretty darn good at getting great photos with it! he's got the right idea about what makes the subject interesting and he's only 8.
    clap.gif
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2011
    I wish I had 1200 bucks! I'm a stay at home mom, so I have to upgrade as people see fit to pay me for my services- which is getting pretty frequently rolleyes1.gif
    maybe I can snatch some of the vacation fund...I'm positive my kids wont mind...since they just Loooooove to have their photos taken...(please insert sarcasim into that last sentence to get the full effect)....my kids HATE my camera...my son declares trips to the park "electronic free trips!"
    But that said....he has my old point and shoot, and he's pretty darn good at getting great photos with it! he's got the right idea about what makes the subject interesting and he's only 8.
    clap.gif

I certainly wish you the best on your adventure. I give you a lot of credit for being willing to save up for what you want. I know the person, online, that bought my D90 with two lenses for $700 was tickled as I was to get that much. Usually you can't do much better than half of what you pay for things.

I've been out of work for 10 months but have just one remaining month before I'm officially retired as my social security checks begin rolling in. I planned all this carefully because my employer, Intel Corp., gave us 18 months notice of their fab shutdown due to being obsolete. I decided to retire rather than try to find another job at over 60 years old. I haven't regretted my decisions one bit.

Best of luck on your quest and keep learning the basics of good photography with your D40. It's a good camera for learning exactly what you'll want in the future.
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2011

I certainly wish you the best on your adventure. I give you a lot of credit for being willing to save up for what you want. I know the person, online, that bought my D90 with two lenses for $700 was tickled as I was to get that much. Usually you can't do much better than half of what you pay for things.

I've been out of work for 10 months but have just one remaining month before I'm officially retired as my social security checks begin rolling in. I planned all this carefully because my employer, Intel Corp., gave us 18 months notice of their fab shutdown due to being obsolete. I decided to retire rather than try to find another job at over 60 years old. I haven't regretted my decisions one bit..
    Best of luck to you Bob!!!
    It's hard being out of work...but I'm no where near retirement yet rolleyes1.gif lol..I did quite possibly the DUMBEST thing ever...I left a job where I was making booKu bucks...and moved to a place where the houses are wayyyy cheaper then where we used to live...got pregnant, had another baby (that makes 2) and decided to quite my job that was 1.5 hours away...and since then....I can't find another job ne_nau.gif
    see...thats why I ask advice before I blow a chunk of cash. lol
    You, sir ...make sure you do something when retirement rolls around,I keep reading about how after people hit retirement they get sick because they aren't moving as much...and grow bored and restless....so don't do that! ok...get lots of photos...you have a great creative outlet and an AWESOME camera clap.gif
    Best of luck on your quest and keep learning the basics of good photography with your D40. It's a good camera for learning exactly what you'll want in the future
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2011
    Best of luck to you Bob!!!
    It's hard being out of work...but I'm no where near retirement yet rolleyes1.gif lol..I did quite possibly the DUMBEST thing ever...I left a job where I was making booKu bucks...and moved to a place where the houses are wayyyy cheaper then where we used to live...got pregnant, had another baby (that makes 2) and decided to quite my job that was 1.5 hours away...and since then....I can't find another job ne_nau.gif
    see...thats why I ask advice before I blow a chunk of cash. lol
    You, sir ...make sure you do something when retirement rolls around,I keep reading about how after people hit retirement they get sick because they aren't moving as much...and grow bored and restless....so don't do that! ok...get lots of photos...you have a great creative outlet and an AWESOME camera clap.gif
    Best of luck on your quest and keep learning the basics of good photography with your D40. It's a good camera for learning exactly what you'll want in the future

THis will keep me busy processing photos for a very long time. I leave July 20th. http://www.greentortoise.com/adventures/canyon.west.grand.zion.html
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2011
    THis will keep me busy processing photos for a very long time. I leave July 20th. http://www.greentortoise.com/adventures/canyon.west.grand.zion.html

HOLY cow!!!! that is GREAT!!!! Jesus...you are going to be HOT nod.gifjose
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2011
    HOLY cow!!!! that is GREAT!!!! Jesus...you are going to be HOT nod.gifjose

Fortunately I'm used to it. I spent 13 years living in South Carolina before moving to Oregon. It was 95 with 95% humidity there for 8-9 months of the year.
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2011
    Fortunately I'm used to it. I spent 13 years living in South Carolina before moving to Oregon. It was 95 with 95% humidity there for 8-9 months of the year.

that's NUTS!
    I put my dog out this morning and almost choked to death on the humidity, and it is only 80 degrees right now!
    I can't do humidity...heat yeah..but humidity no way! I only have about 40% lung function from a very long illness so heat and humidity are my enemy!
    But I can't wait to see the pics you are gonna get!
    I dont remember the exact route...but are you going to hit CO? if you are...will you get to go to the Garden of the Gods? I was there about 16 years ago and it was so beautiful...but my DH's cousin has told me it has since changed....alot of paved roads etc...but still, I'd love to see it again.
  • Options
    joeinmiamijoeinmiami Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    You guys complaining about heat and hunmidity? You should go to Miami FL. Avergage temperature during the summer is about 90 and humidity can reach 100%!

During winter we think we are freezing when temperature go down to about 50, It rarely goes below 50. To us that is VERY VERY cold! luckily it only happens about 5 days a year!

Joe
    www.jlm-photos.com
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    Here near DC we are getting lots of 90 degree days, though upper 80s is average for summer. And it's cold in winter, like 30. With some 20s rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2011
    Here near DC we are getting lots of 90 degree days, though upper 80s is average for summer. And it's cold in winter, like 30. With some 20s rolleyes1.gif

We have very short Summers in the Pacific Northwest with temperatures rarely making it above 85. By coincidence we have this coming Saturday & Sunday forecast for the low 80s, our first 80 degree days of 2011. We hit hit 100 now and then but it's low humidity and doesn't last more than a day. Most of the Summer, July-Sept, we find it's in the high 70s to low 80s & dry.

Understand that within 75 miles of Portland, OR we have 3-4 micro-climates, Pacific Coast, Cascade Mountains, Portland,OR valley & high desert in Pendleton, OR.
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2011
    joeinmiami wrote: »
    You guys complaining about heat and hunmidity? You should go to Miami FL. Avergage temperature during the summer is about 90 and humidity can reach 100%!

During winter we think we are freezing when temperature go down to about 50, It rarely goes below 50. To us that is VERY VERY cold! luckily it only happens about 5 days a year!

Joe

Ha...I know what you mean...spent some nice vaca's in Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando, and Boca Raton...
    that is why we live here...I wouldn't be able to live in FL...I'd melt! lol
    Dh's grandparents live in the Villages and they fly the coop from here about October and then fly back here by June 1st.
    And my DH wants to move to Nevada or Texas....he's CRAZY.