Options

Stranger 3 of 100 - Jack

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited June 5, 2011 in People
1199577545_PgaNu-X2.jpg

<font size=+2><b>Stranger 3 of 100: Jack, Gourmet Food Truck Chef</b></font>

Meet Jack. Jack is the owner and chef of “Clean Street Food”, not your average food truck. I met Jack while my wife and I were out at a local food truck festival. After surveying the menu of the 30-something food trucks that were at the festival, we decided to try some Clean Street Food. The menu seemed the most interesting; no hot dogs, hamburgers or tacos.

After ordering our food, my wife and I had nice conversation with Jack. He started Clean Street Food only 11 weeks ago. Before that, he was a chef at a popular restaurant. He explained that the whole food truck industry took off about 2 years ago, when commercial real estate prices in LA became out of reach for most. Instead, restauranteurs started rehabbing old “roach coaches” into higher end food trucks. There are several hundred of these gourmet and trendy food trucks in and around the great Los Angeles area. Jack’s is one of the best and he’s the friendliest guy I met while at the festival.

BTW, I had a really tasty Thai chicken sandwich with shredded red cabbage and spicy sambal. Check out his site for the when and where <b><a href="http://www.cleanstreetfood.com&quot; rel="nofollow">www.cleanstreetfood.com</a></b>

You can meet my other strangers here.
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    Nice image and story. It seems there are more and more of these popping up in the larger cities like New York.

It makes good common sense when you look at the cost of running a restaurant these days.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    The food trucks are pretty trendy here in LA. What's interesting is that local businesses will "sponsor" a food truck night. They allow a few trucks to park in front of their store front or use their parking lot. In exchange, they get exposure and some foot traffic. Pretty cool if you ask me. We have a hair salon in my area that does this. I've never stopped but driven by. I will next time since Jack's truck is one of the ones that setup there.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    Nice portrait! And I was really envious to hear about the food truck festival. I know they're big in LA and there are a few here but I've never had the patience to wait in line for one. But a festival? I'd fast for that.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2011
    schmoo wrote: »
    Nice portrait! And I was really envious to hear about the food truck festival. I know they're big in LA and there are a few here but I've never had the patience to wait in line for one. But a festival? I'd fast for that.

The lines are crazy long sometimes. Even at the festival... a few trucks had hour long waits. Crazy. I did stuff my face at though. I think I ate at 4 different trucks in the 3 hours I was there. We ended up leaving because I was so cold. It was snowing! Well... sleet I guess. I had on a t-shirt. Not good.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    i totally love this, tells the story perfectly, without even having to read the actual story.
  • Options
    MadmodMadmod Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    How much do your direct your strangers? On average do you do one shot or many shots/poses?
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2011
    My first stranger I took a couple of photos with no direction other than "smile". The first came out a little soft so I took a second. The second stranger, Vince, I actually took about 4 shots of him as he was working on the cable-car. The last shot I took, which was posed, was the one I liked the most and used in my project.

The shot of Jack on this post was the only one I got since he was pretty busy. I actually had to come back to get the shot since some guy interrupted us and starting asking him a bunch of questions about running a food truck. I left so I was hovering around and came back to ask if I can shoot him for my project. His assistant was handing out samples and I asked if he would pose holding the tray. I felt the tray added a bit more to the composition and put things in a bit more context. I felt more comfortable pushing things with Jack because I kind of had him on the hook a bit; I did spend money at his food truck so I was kind of his customer. Even so, he was a really nice guy so I think he wouldn't of done it no matter what.

This is the biggest thing I love about this project. I'm really learning to shoot to make it count. For me, going up to people and talking to them is not that difficult. To say I'm extroverted is probably being a bit conservative. However, I often struggle with getting off quick shots and are tack sharp and this is helping me with that. I'm learning to be prepared, to always check my exposure settings and ISO and make sure I get the focus right on the first shot because with something like this, that one shot maybe the only one you get. Actaully, I should be on my 5th stranger but the photo I took I'm kind of not happy with. This shot here... it looks OK in b&w but in color its really soft.

1183941989_ApCjq-XL.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    FLYING EYEBALLFLYING EYEBALL Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2011
    *bump*

Just wanted to check in and see if you were doing any more of these...
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2011
    This reminds me... I have to go out and shoot!

My Smug Site
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2011
    Great idea for a project Alex. Will you be posting the other 97 here? Loving the expressions on the b/w above...
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2011
    Yes. I will post all of them as I shoot them. I haven't been out in public with my camera in a while. Going to a birthday at a park this weekend so I think I may capture at least one stranger.

Stay tuned.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2011
    As always, I love your shots. This is really a great project, so I'm glad you haven't dropped it. I look forward to your next postings.
  • Options
    GretchenGretchen Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2011
    Yes Please!
    I too am waiting for the next post. No pressure though!