Options

Got my Nikon D7000 =]]]]]] what should i invest in next??

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grinsNorwayPosts: 0 Major grins
edited June 16, 2011 in Cameras
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Options
    SvennieSvennie Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2011
    glass! Which depends on your subject of course. And a flash (sb600/900) is very handy.
  • Options
    NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2011
    Think about what you like to shoot, and invest in your best glass in that type of lens.

Decide whether you want to zoom it, or prime it.

I take it you got the kit lens that came with it? Do alot of reading, and hanging where people discuss the best lenses. I remember rushing in to buy lenses, and wasted some money at the beginning.

extra battery, extra cards, a standard low light prime lens.
    congrats!thumb.gif
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins NorwayPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2011
  • Options
    David-StallardDavid-Stallard Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2011
    Agree 100% extra batteries, extra cards and the best glass you can as it will outlast this body and possibly the next.

.DAVID.
    http://www.davidstallardphotography.com/

Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2011
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2011
    Any suggestions of what my next glass should be?

For wildlife you typically need telephoto, so the 600mm f/4 is a good lens. If you can't find it in your local store, and/or don't have US$10k to spend on a lens, something else might be in order, though. rolleyes1.gif

Portraiture can be done creatively with just about any focal length, but typically somewhere around 85-135mm tends to be considered the "classic" portrait lens. It tends to have a flattering perspective on the human face, and coupled with a large aperture, lets you isolate the subject from the background very nicely. With the crop factor of the D7000, you can do portraits with a 50mm lens, although it doesn't give you quite the working distance as a slightly longer lens like an 85 prime. Depending on what you want to spend, the Nikkor 85 f/1.4G is given much love, but is not cheap. Sigma's new 85 f/1.4 is supposed to be very good and is a lot more affordable. The new Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G is supposed to be optically very good (I've read that it might be better than the f/1.4G) and it's relatively cheap at around US$200. For a bit more than double that price you could consider the Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G for the extra 2/3 of a stop and 9 blade aperture (vs. the f/1.8G's 7 blades).

You may want to save up for a 70-200 f/2.8 zoom, either one of Nikon's VR1 or 2 versions work well on DX bodies. If you get one of those, it will last you for the rest of your photographic life, most likely. There are 3rd party 70-200 lenses that are good as well, from Sigma or Tamron in particular. They tend to not be quite as good as the Nikon lens, but significantly cheaper. A 70-200 could be used for portraiture as well as wildlife. 200mm might be a little short for some wildlife, even with the 1.5x crop factor, but you would combine the zoom with a teleconverter for more reach, although you'll give up aperture speed and a bit of image quality.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    powderpowder Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2011
    I love my D7000. I bought a tamron 70-200 2.8 lens and use it very often! Not too pricey...I'm happy with what I get.
  • Options
    David-StallardDavid-Stallard Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2011
    Sorry I'm not familiar with the Nikon range, I think the first thing you need to decide is what you are going to be shooting, then you can look at the glass available for that subject i.e. wildlife / motor sport / portraits / macro's and save save save and buy the best quality you can, I really do think that the old saying of "you get what you pay for" is very true within the area of quality glass

.DAVID.
    http://www.davidstallardphotography.com/

Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints
  • Options
    SvennieSvennie Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2011
    Any suggestions of what my next glass should be?
    I've used the nikkor 50mm/1.8 on my D70s (also DX) a lot with portraits. With my D700 (FX) I tend to use the nikkor 85/1.8 more often. Both have an excellent price/quality. They are very very sharp and you can see every detail. A female friend (30+) calls them woman-unfriendly for that reason mwink.gif The 28-300VRII is a lot 'softer'. For the D7000 you could consider the 18-200VRII in stead. Next on my list is the 70-200/2.8VRII but that lens is still 2000euros... I've borrowed an 80-200/2.8 a few times, which is just perfect.

What do you consider wild life photography? If you just visit the zoo, the 18-200 will do just fine. Birds, small preditors? You need very large primes (400+) but these are very expensive. I took the sigma 50-500 to the Kruger Park and with that much sun it works fine. In less light you definitely need a mono/tripod with this lens.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2011
    get teh 24-70, the 70-200, and the 14-24.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    MdocMdoc Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2011
    I am so wanting one. I have used Canon for the last 20 years, but I love the way this camera fits in my hands.
    My photos are only worth one hundred words :-)
  • Options
    TinstaflTinstafl Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2011
    Get the 16-35 F4 it is a great lens. Get a 50 1.8 and then the first gen 70-200. you will be set. If you want you can get the 18-200 DX lens and skip all the others but I like the ones listed. I have a 24 70 on my D700 but use the others on my D7000 and it does very well.
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2011
    Get a 50 1.8 D for portraits and a 70-300 VR for wildlife. Those are great lenses that will you will still use when/if you upgrade to more expensive lenses, and they will not cost thousands to get. Since you are asking, that tells me you have no idea of what kind of style you have developed. No sense in getting something like a 70-200 2.8 until you actually get to the point where you see the need to get it.
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2011
  • Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2011
    Qarik wrote: »
    get teh 24-70, the 70-200, and the 14-24.
    THIS.

The 24-70 and 70-200 are awesome mated to the D7k (same rig I'm running). I'm happy with my 11-16 covering the bottom end right now but the 14-24 has tempted me on more than one occasion...

This is a great setup for the move to FX later, too. thumb.gif

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2011
    50mm f/1.4 to begin with :)
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • Options
    jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2011
    I've got the D7000 too... replaced my last kit which was all stolen (including my 70-200 f2.8 VR :cry )

Tamron 17-50 f2.8 - not optically stabilised (better IQ) - ok it's not the Nikon but it's cheaper and smaller thus lighter on the shoulders/back when carrying - it's a great go too lens and f2.8 is nice

Nikon 70-300 VR lens - ok it's not the 70-200 f2.8 VR BUT - it has longer reach, is easier to carry and at least with the D7000 you can compensate for now by upping the ISO a bit

SB-900 - gonna get a flash especially for those dark Norwegen winters where you'll be shooting indoors lots mwink.gif don't bother getting the smaller one - go big clap.gif

Battery grip with extra battery - i've got long fingers and also for shooting portrait and video chews battery life so great to have 2 in the camera for longer shooting

i just got back from Stockholm where (due to still recovering from broken collar bone and surgery) I only carried the D7000 + 35mm f1.8 Nikon lens -- it was fantastic... just like 50mm from the regular 35mm film days... the 50mm f1.8 is nice for portraits but can be a pain when just walking around as it's then a longer lens on the crop sensor

best thing is none of these lenses cost a fortune as they're not pro lenses.... and I'm assumign that this is more for fun/hobby rather than for your career...

If you're pro and making money from it - then yeah 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200 all f2.8 from Nikon --- but hey I don't have that kinda money to spend....

good luck and have fun thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2011