Options

DSS SOOC - First Tries - Thoughts pls?

JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
edited June 30, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
I set out to take photos of many different things and here are the better images. I re-set my camera to take smaller size photos and tried different settings in different kinds of lighting to see if I could get a really nice photo. I have a couple of favorites, and I know a few of them aren't as good as they could be, but are any of them "really" good enough for this challenge? I could use your thoughts.

1. Spider and Web
P1060039.jpg

2. Morning Garden
P1060045.jpg

3. Trumpet Vine Morning Meal
P1060061.jpg

4. Potato Blossom
P1060072.jpg

5. Daylilly Soaking Up The Sun
P1060083.jpg

6. Cucumber Blossom Seeking Shade
P1060084.jpg

7. Quiet Support
P1060087.jpg

8. The Strength Behind
P1060088.jpg

9. Innocent Eyes
P1060099.jpg
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6

Comments

• Options
    konomaniackonomaniac Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    3 & 4 work for me. Maybe there's a picture looming in the background of #7.
    --- Kono ---
    Pentax K-x and assorted lenses
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    I'm grooving on #1. Neat composition, and I like the plants in the bottom to anchor the shot.
  • Options
    red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    Jen,
    My favorite of this set is #2, morning garden, and then in order, 4, 1, and 9. The others just don't stand out to me, a few have the background in better focus than what I'd expect to be the main subject, and some the background is just really busy.

Also, I have a case of extreme garden envy. Those look like luscious plants that will make some delicious fresh vegetables in a few short weeks!
    edited June 22, 2011
    MarkR wrote: »
    I'm grooving on #1. Neat composition, and I like the plants in the bottom to anchor the shot.

Mee too!thumb.gif
    tom wise
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Mee too!thumb.gif

15524779-Ti.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    red_zone wrote: »
    Jen,
    Also, I have a case of extreme garden envy. Those look like luscious plants that will make some delicious fresh vegetables in a few short weeks!

Me, too! :D

In #1, the spider is blown out. Nice shot of the web. I took a few shots of some orb weaver babies that my son could not even look at. He is such a wimp when it comes to spiders. rolleyes1.gif Any time I have posted spider shots, they have not gotten a good response here. The folks in the macro forum are definitely not spider wimps!

I like the light in #4, but it looks a little soft. If you could go -1/3 or -2/3 on the EV, you might preserve a little more detail in the white and drop the BG a bit darker, making it pop a little more. You may also have a macro button or mode on you camera - usually denoted by a flower symbol. My Kodak P&S has this and it does a decent job in closeups.

I also like the light in #6, but I think it would be better if you got a bit closer - maybe the post and 4 squares that include the flower. It also looks a little soft. And it might work better if the flower were in sunlight so it would pop more from the BG.

You also might do some playing with the picket fence in the BG of the daylillies shot.
  • Options
    rbustraenrbustraen Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    #1 and #4 work for me, the spider already mentioned is blown, but if my daughter had her way, it would be squished :)

- Randy
    - Randy

Photo Of The Day & My SmugMug Gallery
    Canon 7D and not enough L glass....
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,945 moderator
    edited June 22, 2011
    I like #1 and #4.... You might want to try reshooting number 4 - the potato blossom with some different compositions. I like the backlighting but think you might be able to frame this a bit tighter....
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2011
    ok I'm kind of puzzled..

1 - 6 likes
    2 - 1 like
    3 - 1 like
    4 - 5 likes
    6 & 7 - not sures
    9- 1 like

I don't understand why the spider web shot got so many likes even though the spider was blown? I kind of like it, but almost didn't post it because the spider WAS blown.

# 4 got 5 likes.. I took maybe 35 shots using different angles and settings with that potato blossom. I'm pretty sure that blossom isn't there anymore tho. I can try to see if I can get another blossom if anymore are there.

red_zone .. about the garden envy .. Laughing.gif We have so many tomatos on those vines it's crazy. They like it there! That bed they are in was a last minute thrown together bed made out of garden extras and dirt we dug up to create 3- 4x8 raised beds. The tomatoes raised bed is like maybe 3 feet off the ground. We had taken down a fence and moved it but the fence posts were left in the ground, so we took all our garden extras like 2x4's and concrete blocks and made a raised bed around these 2 fenceposts. My husband fancied it up some by building a frame between the fence posts and we put wire on the frame for cucumbers and pole beans to climb on the opposite east side the tomatoes are on. Between the tomatos and back side of the trellis we planted mini watermelons and cantelope.. so in all there is cucumbers, pole beans, watermelons, and cantelope all climbing at the same time. Since the tomatoes are planted on the east side of the trellis, they get the morning sun and get shaded from the hot afternoon sun coming from the west. Hopefully, that'll make the tomatoes want to set fruit longer since they get shaded on the hottest part of the day. There's also chocolate mint, golden sage, rosemary, and basil planted on the outside edge of the west side of the raised bed. Want some chocolate mint? Laughing.gif In our other raised beds we planted cabbage, brussel sprouts, eggplant, cayenne/jalepeno/bell peppers, 3 kinds of onions, cilantro, italian parsley, oregano, onions, potatos, salad greens, and a few other odds and ends. I also set up an automated drip irrigation system on a timer so I don't have to worry about watering anything! :D Now, I just have to worry about tying up monster tomato vines.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    Molotov EverythingMolotov Everything Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2011
    Well #1 is probably the most interesting subject matter. Would be nice if the lighting could come up from below the camera to get less exposure on the ground, I think it would be neat to see just a web floating in black space. Either that or get the whole camera lower and angle up to get the ground out of the background.

I like the flower in #3 better than the flower in #4, but I just think the fence makes for a lousy background.
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2011
    Well #1 is probably the most interesting subject matter. Would be nice if the lighting could come up from below the camera to get less exposure on the ground, I think it would be neat to see just a web floating in black space. Either that or get the whole camera lower and angle up to get the ground out of the background.

I like the flower in #3 better than the flower in #4, but I just think the fence makes for a lousy background.

I wish I could put an order in with the spider and get it to build another web in a better place to photograph! Laughing.gif One evening there were 2 webs built right next to each other about the same size. I guess thats a good place for catching spider food! :D

Oh and the fence bg... those trumpet vines are growing on the fence and there isn't any angle I can take a photo of them w/o the fence being in the bg.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2011
    On #1, you did a nice job of illuminating the spider web to make it show up - & it's a nice big web - impressive, even though the spider is blown. #2 seems very busy & my eye wanders with nothing specific to draw attention. #3 is too soft - I want to see the detail in the ants - & the flower seems too centered. The fence doesn't bother me at all. #4 - the brightness of the petals compared to the middle of the flower is a bit strong, but the comp is pretty good. #5 - there is too much distraction in the background. #6 - the focus looks soft & the flower is a bit too centered to me, also might look better if shot with darker settings but a bit of fill flash (or a bit more if you used it). #7 & #8 - seems like the focus should be on the flowers rather than the wood pieces. #9 - cute perspective - her eye looks huge! But I see something like noise that makes her eyelashes & parts of her eyebrow look spotted.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2011
    #1 is cool but the spider's a little too hot. #3 is nice but would have liked to see a shallower DOF there.
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2011
    Add one to #4 from me. I think it's the strongest of the set.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    anniemaxanniemax Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2011
    I like the translucence of the white petal in #4. #1 is the most interesting to me - I found myself checking out the pattern of the web.
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2011
    Thanks everyone .. I got more votes for #1 and #4 ..

Do you think any of my shots of Daylilly's a-f are better than my #1 or #4? I took a lot of different positions and settings and these came out better than the rest. Thanks!

Here's some more:

10. beefsteak tomatos (I know this is probably too dark, but I put it up here so red_zone could see some of my tomatoes! :D
    P1060148.jpg

11. Daylilly -a
    P1060215.jpg

11. Daylilly - b
    P1060216.jpg

12. Daylilly - c
    P1060217.jpg

13. Daylilly -d
    P1060218.jpg

14. Daylilly - e
    P1060219.jpg

15. Daylilly - f
    P1060220.jpg
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2011
    Jenn - I missed this thread when you re-posted pictures... but I found it again!
    MMmmm those tomatoes look delicious. I have plans for raised beds in my tiny back yard... but the rest of the house "must" be done first, or so my wife says. .sigh. I would love to engineer a drip irrigation system for the entire back yard and just grow a jungle back there.

I really like the Day Lily photo that you ended up choosing for the competition. I think that the time of day is perfect (I'm not usually one for mid-day sun) and that if the fence weren't in shadow that it wouldn't have been nearly as good. I like the dark fence background with the bright stripes of sky and the brilliantly lit flower in the foreground.
    edited June 30, 2011
    Jenn - I missed this thread when you re-posted pictures... but I found it again!
    MMmmm those tomatoes look delicious. I have plans for raised beds in my tiny back yard... but the rest of the house "must" be done first, or so my wife says. .sigh. I would love to engineer a drip irrigation system for the entire back yard and just grow a jungle back there.
    Would you believe those tomatoes are STILL getting bigger?? No signs of turning red yet, either. I covered them up with a bucket on one side to hide them from any hungry birds, too! Laughing.gif

If you decide to do the drip irrigation... I can show you what I did. It really isn't all that hard and it saves time standing out and watering everything by hand. I did both my front and back yard... plus I have a dripper clipped to a bucket to put fresh water into it for my dog every time the timer waters my garden! :D
    I really like the Day Lily photo that you ended up choosing for the competition. I think that the time of day is perfect (I'm not usually one for mid-day sun) and that if the fence weren't in shadow that it wouldn't have been nearly as good. I like the dark fence background with the bright stripes of sky and the brilliantly lit flower in the foreground.
    Thanks! I couldn't decide what to enter so went with the better image of the lilly, although there are several lillies entered already. I didn't notice that 'til after I entered mine. Oh well! Laughing.gif I don't really expect to be in the top 5 either way because there are so many good photos I'm up against. :)
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)