Options

Stockholm, Sweden: a short break

jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
edited July 1, 2011 in Journeys
Hi all,

Recently took a family trip to Stockholm for a 3 day weekend. Wasn't able to pack much as still recovering from an operation on my right collarbone... and yeah i'm right handed :rolleyes

So packed my D7000 and a Nikkor 35mm f1.8... about all I could manage to lift with assistance from my left arm (anyone notice that all DSLRs are right handed :scratch i have now... )

Anyway after arriving late the first day we decided to head out and do some shopping... I didn't take any photos as... well... just didn't... :D

On the second day however we took off on a boat trip around Stockholm... The day started off grey but would improve later on...

1. Stockholm Harbour
20110612-StockholmWeekend-0018-L.jpg

After a short boat ride (hop-on-hop-off style) we hopped off and visited the Vasa museum - my father visited it on a business trip many many years ago and loved it - we had a great time spending a few hours there

2. The Vasa
20110612-StockholmWeekend-0063-L.jpg

3. Vasa interior shot
20110612-StockholmWeekend-0053-L.jpg

We found out why it sank... turns out she only sailed 1300m before it all went wrong... Any wonder it sank... it was kind of obvious when you see this pic (well i thought so)

4. image of boat sitting in water
20110612-StockholmWeekend-0079-L.jpg

That longboat beside the Vasa is on the waterline... hmmm perhaps sittting a "tad" too far out of the water guys?? :dunno

Along with some of the artefacts on the ship...

20110612-StockholmWeekend-0043-L.jpg

...they've done some incredible reproductions of the people who's skeletons they found in the ship when they raised it.

6. couple of the people's reconstructed heads
20110612-StockholmWeekend-0085-M.jpg20110612-StockholmWeekend-0090-M.jpg

once we got back outside after some 3hrs it was blue skies again :)

7. Harbour
20110612-StockholmWeekend-0096-L.jpg

We got on the boat again and got off at another island which had a lovely little bar/restaurant where we chilled out in the sun... it also had some nice buildings.

8. Nice building on the waterline
20110612-StockholmWeekend-0153-L.jpg

Apparently this island was quite derelict and the government really had to encourage people with monetary incentives to setup shop/house here... tell you what it was lovely and we'd have happily had a house there! alas I think we're too late now...

They also have a lot of boats moored there and all have explanations about their origins, some very interesting stories to be read!

9. Signs
20110612-StockholmWeekend-0165-L.jpg

10. Here's another gratuitous harbor shot
20110612-StockholmWeekend-0171-L.jpg

It was finally getting on towards evening...

11. Svenska Handelsbanken
20110612-StockholmWeekend-0187-L.jpg

...so time to get some dinner at B.A.R. restaurant (HIGHLY recommended by the way!)

12. yum!
20110612-StockholmWeekend-0217-L.jpg

Then it was sunset - reallly late as it's nordic summer...

13. Sunset 1
20110612-StockholmWeekend-0245-L.jpg

14. Sunset 2
20110612-StockholmWeekend-0242-L.jpg

but obviously some people are just getitng warmed up - including a wannabe Batman

15. Batmobile
20110612-StockholmWeekend-0237-L.jpg

On the third and last day we also didn't do too much... a little shopping and some walking...

I leave you with a quick shot from a "car dealer" - love the fact as long as there is snow on the ground you can drive these on the roads to work :P

16. quad tracked bike
20110613-StockholmWeekend-0246-L.jpg

Cheers! :thumb

Comments

• Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2011
    thanks Jason, good to see some images of this part of the world, I didn't have much idea what Stockholm was like. looks like it's been an important place for quite a long time

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2011
    a very nice series of photos......heal quickly and heal well......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2011
    Very nice set. It reminds me of the week I spent in Stockholm in December '06... That view of the Grand Hotel & harbour is pretty neat (good memories, and great breakfast at the Grand Hotel) and the Vasa museet is definitely spectacular. I hope to go back someday... with a tripod this time.
    edited July 1, 2011
    @NeilL - thanks :) i figure i should probably post more from my travels in Europe as there are obviously a lot more based in the US on here

@Art - thanks - healing very slowly as it was a real mess but at least i can take some photos again now :)

@red_zone - yeah tripod would have been helpful but i was limited in carry capacity.... actually Stockholm is one of my favorite cities in the world and my wife and I were saying we'd love to come back and speed a whole week there :)

Thanks to all those who've viewed too... the silent ones mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif