Options

A Couple From The Appalachian High Country

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,322 Major grins
edited July 11, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
I had to escape the Florida heat....pulled my standard trick and fled to the mountains. In a moment of weakness, I got talked into a really long hike.

This scene is near the beginning of the hike. We're starting to move into the steep stuff. That's Grandfather Mountain in the center background.

mountains-7-4-2011-051-X2.jpg

This is the infamous swinging bridge atop Grandfather Mountain. It's at the mile-high juncture. You can drive to the base of the bridge, but we, of course, had to hike up there. The old wooden version of this bridge really swayed in a strong wind. This newer version doesn't move as much but it can get interesting at times.

mountains-7-4-2011-003-X2.jpg

That night, I made a simple prayer....." Please Lord, grant me the wisdom to avoid any more 15 mile hikes ".
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2011
    Standard trick rolleyes1.gifI can only imagine what that would be. I used to sneak out at night. Still do only my wife doesn't call it sneaking so much as fleeing the scene. I can only take so much of 14 and 17 :D But I get some good night pictures once in awhile.

Nice pictures Tom. I'd head up that way myself for some R&R if it was close by. Will have to look for something closer. Something with a nice walk in it too.

Do you have pics of the old wooden bridge before this nice new one was put up? Nice image composition of the new one. Just perfect.
    Michael
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2011
    Tom, I wish you'd post more landscapes. :D It looks like a wonderful place--I'm glad to know you are enjoying your mountain time!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2011
    Howdy Tom,

WOW, both of those look so inviting, I'd opt for the Drive, and

somehow I don't think it was 107 there like it was here in Texas.

Great shots love all the detail and history.

Give our Best to Darlene and the Mousers.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2011
    DaddyO wrote: »
    Standard trick rolleyes1.gifI can only imagine what that would be. I used to sneak out at night. Still do only my wife doesn't call it sneaking so much as fleeing the scene. I can only take so much of 14 and 17 :D But I get some good night pictures once in awhile.

Nice pictures Tom. I'd head up that way myself for some R&R if it was close by. Will have to look for something closer. Something with a nice walk in it too.

Do you have pics of the old wooden bridge before this nice new one was put up? Nice image composition of the new one. Just perfect.

Thanks for the kind words, Michael.

I'll scrounge up a shot of the old bridge when I get back home. At times, it was a real adventure to cross the gorge on that one. They have actually recorded wind velocities as high as 195 - 200 MPH roaring through that gap. As you would imagine, during such extreme times they would shut down use of the bridge.

To get the perspective of this shot, I climbed out on a rock ledge.....very close to the spot where a woman fell to her death a couple of years ago. It was a little spooky.

Take care my friend,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2011
    redleash wrote: »
    Tom, I wish you'd post more landscapes. :D It looks like a wonderful place--I'm glad to know you are enjoying your mountain time!

Lauren

Hi Lauren,

I may just do that....throw more landscapes into the mix. As you would suspect, I savor every minute spent up here. I've been lucky to see quite a few places but this Appalachian High Country is my favorite, by far.

Take care Lady,

Tom
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2011
    Panther wrote: »
    Howdy Tom,

WOW, both of those look so inviting, I'd opt for the Drive, and

somehow I don't think it was 107 there like it was here in Texas.

Great shots love all the detail and history.

Give our Best to Darlene and the Mousers.

Yo Craig,

Early morning temps are usually in the 60 - 64 range, warming up to the higher 70's.....maybe even the lower 80's. The elevation you are at, of course, influences that greatly.

The Mousers even take on a new vibrancy up here. I've never seen animals fly up stairs like they can. I wish I could video this strange dance they do on your bed when they figure it's time for you to get up.

Say hi to KK,

Tom
  • Options
    chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2011
    The Appalachians and the Adirondacks are such beautiful country. They're among the things I miss the most since moving to the West Coast.
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited July 10, 2011
    #1 is lovely. Hard to think of a nicer spot to beat the heat.
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2011
    The Appalachians and the Adirondacks are such beautiful country. They're among the things I miss the most since moving to the West Coast.[/QUOT

Good to hear from you, Chuck.

I feel the same way about these areas. I was up in the Adirondacks this past Feburary....really beautiful up there.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    #1 is lovely. Hard to think of a nicer spot to beat the heat.

Thanks for looking in, Richard.

It's pretty awe-inspiring when you can do a 360 degree turn-around and all you see are scenes like this.

Tom
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2011
    #1 is sweet Tom!

I keep looking to see if I can spot Gandalf trotting in on Shadowfax!mwink.gif

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2011
    NeilL wrote: »
    #1 is sweet Tom!

I keep looking to see if I can spot Gandalf trotting in on Shadowfax!mwink.gif

Neil

Great to hear from you, Neil.

That must have been Gandalf who buzzed us a little higher up the trail. By then, we were too tired to get up and run.:D

How about sending more of your great stuff our way,

Tom